NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This reads like you starting with an end point and then twisting logic to get there.

No it's just my logic. Perhaps it's crazy but I'm serious - if it were my choice I'd have sent McDavid to Edmonton.

It's not just about a few ads. Hockey has transcended its North American/North European bubble and achieved genuine global recognition precisely twice - the miracle on ice, and the world's greatest player Wayne Gretzky lifting the Cup for the Oilers. For a sport with a limited profile compared to some that means a lot. If there's a chance to essentially recreate one of those moments, then however long a shot, I'm taking it. McDavid will never have Gretzky's profile - the world has changed plus his personality is too dour - but I still see money, a great story and sheer sporting romanticism in having him follow the same path. Could have been on another team, sure, but IMO it just means more if it's Edmonton.

People disagree with me and that's fine. But the main point is this - if I could think that McDavid to Edmonton was the right choice, is it possible than any of the top brass in the NHL thought so too?

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbyorr04

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
You can make an argument for the lottery being rigged every single year for every single team. I don't think they rig anything. I'm sure the NHL does some shady things, but I don't think they screw with the lottery. I believe they have a major third party accounting firm overlook the ball roll as well.

Is this satire? Listen, I understand the 2011 Bruins were beloved (I never watched then), but just looking at some of the highlights, it's clear that Marchand and Lucic in particular were playing like scumbags at various times.
You believe? ...or you know??

You're asking if my comments are satire, and yet you stated that Marchand and Lucic played like scumbags in 2011, right after admitting you didn't watch them play :laugh:

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
No it's just my logic. Perhaps it's crazy but I'm serious - if it were my choice I'd have sent McDavid to Edmonton.

It's not just about a few ads. Hockey has transcended its North American/North European bubble and achieved genuine global recognition precisely twice - the miracle on ice, and the world's greatest player Wayne Gretzky lifting the Cup for the Oilers. For a sport with a limited profile compared to some that means a lot. If there's a chance to essentially recreate one of those moments, then however long a shot, I'm taking it. McDavid will never have Gretzky's profile - the world has changed plus his personality is too dour - but I still see money, a great story and sheer sporting romanticism in having him follow the same path. Could have been on another team, sure, but IMO it just means more if it's Edmonton.

People disagree with me and that's fine. But the main point is this - if I could think that McDavid to Edmonton was the right choice, is it possible than any of the top brass in the NHL thought so too?
I don't see how anyone who doesn't already like hockey would care if the Oilers win.

I don't see how it's a money maker. Put the guy in Arizona instead of trying to recreate something no one cares about anyway.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Using Gretzky as your example, hockey only exploded in the South AFTER he was traded to the Kings. It was getting those mega stars to spots where hockey was an afterthought that grew the game and NHL revenue. Within ten years of Gretzky’s arrival in the States, the league had expanded/relocated to seven new southern markets.

The NHL wants hockey to succeed in these areas. The fact that generational talents rarely go there in the draft argues AGAINST your hypothesis that the drafts are rigged. Not for it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't see how anyone who doesn't already like hockey would care if the Oilers win.

I don't see how it's a money maker. Put the guy in Arizona instead of trying to recreate something no one cares about anyway.
If McDavid had gone to Arizona in the draft, no chance in hell would they be on their way out. And you best believe there’d be a shiny new arena somewhere in that state for the Coyotes to house their sellout crowds.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Bleh to all of them

I don't know what I would want, but I do know it wouldn't be any of those
I don't care for any names on their list either

I prefer the "Utah Saints".

..it would be a good name to represent The Latter Day Saints

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Using Gretzky as your example, hockey only exploded in the South AFTER he was traded to the Kings. It was getting those mega stars to spots where hockey was an afterthought that grew the game and NHL revenue. Within ten years of Gretzky’s arrival in the States, the league had expanded/relocated to seven new southern markets.

The NHL wants hockey to succeed in these areas. The fact that generational talents rarely go there in the draft argues AGAINST your hypothesis that the drafts are rigged. Not for it.

I'm tapping out. Made my case as much as I care to. Poorly perhaps, but there it is. Can't win 'em all.

One personal note though - whether it was chance or rigged or divine intervention, I for one am very glad McDavid wound up in Edmonton. Watching him and the Oils play my beloved Bruins last year in front of a very passionate crowd, in a barn with #99 in the rafters, having flown nearly half way around the world for the privilege, was just about my idea of hockey heaven (IIRC @Mr. Make-Believe you were also at that game). That Boston won was the icing on the cake. And reality is if he played for Arizona or similar firstly I would never have made the extra effort/expense, and even if I did it just wouldn't have been as special. So if nothing else I'm grateful for that.

Last edited:

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Possibly my favorite ever non-Bruins team are those 2006 oilers.

Was also my year of graduation from high school, so there were just a lot of good vibes that summer in general.
A was rooting for the ‘06 Oilers because of Chris Pronger who is from my hometown, and Samsonov who had a pretty good run putting up 15 points (including the wicked pass on the Hemsky goal in round 1). It was actually a fun team to watch after they limped into the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad