Celtics/NBA 2023-2024 NBA Finals - Celtics lead series 3-1 - Game 5 Monday at TD Garden

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Very excited for the entire organization

Ainge, Stevens, jujitsu Joe- the two J’s on down

Get it tomorrow and be selfless in the process

I hope Tatum has a triple double tomorrow- when he’s getting assists they are wide open all over the place

Reactions: lextune

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Lakers had West, Baylor, & Wilt and I think (?) Celtics beat them

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I stole this joke but the Mavs are paying tribute to Jerry West in the most fitting way possible: losing to the Celtics in the Finals
Stolen or not that's definitely a " swish " in my books. :thumbu:

fe9196cb124d0a2603fb1601a3a0a179.gif

Reactions: lextune

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Lakers had West, Baylor, & Wilt and I think (?) Celtics beat them
Gail Goodrich was pretty good too. :nod: Later on he signed with Utah and the Fakers were awarded 3 first round picks as compensation including Utah's 1979 1st round pick which turned out be the 1st overall pick in the 1979 draft. LA took some stiff named Earvin Johnson - can't find much info on this guy so he must have been a bust. :dunno:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Gail Goodrich was pretty good too. :nod: Later on he signed with Utah and the Fakers were awarded 3 first round picks as compensation including Utah's 1979 1st round pick which turned out be the 1st overall pick in the 1979 draft. LA took some stiff named Earvin Johnson - can't find much info on this guy so he must have been a bust. :dunno:
Loved Gail Goodrich!!!!!

Wow that’s right

The Lakers were like the Montreal Canadiens in the 70’s just exploiting the dregs of their league

Well, Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey and swap of 1 overall (Joe Barry Carroll) for Parrish & 3 (McHale)

And swapping franchises ???? Or whatever when we got Bob McAdoo

I gotta go back and revisit that deal but I think John Y Brown or as McDonagh called him Y John Brown

I would pay $9.99 a month of my paper route money to see @EverettMike live thru that era and read his posts

Absolute Wild West chaos

Reactions: rfournier103

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Loved Gail Goodrich!!!!!

Wow that’s right

The Lakers were like the Montreal Canadiens in the 70’s just exploiting the dregs of their league

Well, Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey and swap of 1 overall (Joe Barry Carroll) for Parrish & 3 (McHale)

I gotta go back and revisit that deal but I think John Y Brown or as McDonagh called him Y John Brown

I would pay $9.99 a month of my paper route money to see @EverettMike live thru that era and read his posts

Absolute Wild West chaos
Didn't Red walk out and very nearly take a job with the Knicks after Brown made the McAdoo trade without even consulting him?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Loved Gail Goodrich!!!!!

Wow that’s right

Absolute Wild West chaos
I believe the internet google machine told me once that the draft pick the Celtics used to select Larry Bird in 1978 was acquired in a trade with………..

The Los Angeles Lakers.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: DKH

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I believe the internet google machine told me once that the draft pick the Celtics used to select Larry Bird in 1978 was acquired in a trade with………..

The Los Angeles Lakers.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not exactly, unfortunately. They picked Bird at #6 overall with their pick, and Freeman Williams at #8 overall with a pick acquired from the Lakers.

I do think having the second first rounder did give Red the ability to take a chance on Bird where other teams wouldn't have been willing to.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Not exactly, unfortunately. They picked Bird at #6 overall with their pick, and Freeman Williams at #8 overall with a pick acquired from the Lakers.

I do think having the second first rounder did give Red the ability to take a chance on Bird where other teams wouldn't have been willing to.
Thank you for clarifying that.

Wouldn’t be the first time the internet google machine misled me.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

That whole Bob McAdoo scenario is just amazing. Red Auerbach was hoarding 1st round picks during this rebuilding time ( he had Golden State's 1979 pick for Jo Jo White and Seattle's 1979 pick for Dennis Awtrey ) but Brown went behind his back and traded all 3 1st round picks in the 1979 NBA Draft to New York for McAdoo. The Knicks ended up using those picks on Bill Cartwright ( 3rd overall ), Larry Demic ( 9th overall ) and Sly Williams ( 23rd overall ). Reports say that Red was so upset about this move and other crap that Brown had pulled as the Celtics owner that he was actually on his way to New York to become GM of the Knicks before changing his mind and returning to Boston. Brown sold the team a few months later to co-owner Harry Mangurian who told Auerbach that he was going to let him run the team with no more interference from the owner.

Soon after Auerbach signed M.L. Carr away from Detroit and Detroit wanted McAdoo as compensation. Auerbach was thrilled to get rid of McAdoo ( whose playing style was pretty much anti-Celtic ) but told Detroit he needed more since McAdoo was a much better offensive player than Carr was. So Detroit added both of their 1st round picks in the next draft which turned out to be #1 and #13. Of course those 2 picks were later flipped to Golden State for The Chief and McHale. So in just 4 years Red completely completely rebuilt the team ( with a lot of help from some other clueless GMs ) from one of the worst teams in the league to a Championship team:

- drafting Cedric Maxwell 12th overall in 1977
- drafting Larry Bird 6th overall in 1978
- signing M.L. Carr from Detroit
- trading McAdoo to Detroit as compensation and also picking up 2 1980 1st round picks
- trading the #1 pick and the #13 pick in the 1980 draft for Robert Parish and the #3 pick which was used to select Kevin McHale

I can't remember where I heard it somebody once said that James Naismith might have invented the game of basketball but Red Auerbach perfected it. :thumbu:

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
That whole Bob McAdoo scenario is just amazing. Red Auerbach was hoarding 1st round picks during this rebuilding time ( he had Golden State's 1979 pick for Jo Jo White and Seattle's 1979 pick for Dennis Awtrey ) but Brown went behind his back and traded all 3 1st round picks in the 1979 NBA Draft to New York for McAdoo. The Knicks ended up using those picks on Bill Cartwright ( 3rd overall ), Larry Demic ( 9th overall ) and Sly Williams ( 23rd overall ). Reports say that Red was so upset and this move and other crap that Brown had pulled as the Celtics owner that he was actually on his way to New York to become GM of the Knicks before changing his mind and returning to Boston. Brown sold the team a few months later to co-owner Harry Mangurian who told Auerbach that he was going to let him run the team with no more interference from the owner.

Soon after Auerbach signed M.L. Carr away from Detroit and Detroit wanted McAdoo as compensation. Auerbach was thrilled to get rid of McAdoo ( whose playing style was pretty much anti-Celtic ) but told Detroit he needed more since McAdoo was a much better offensive player than Carr was. So Detroit added both of their 1st round picks in the next draft which turned out to be #1 and #13. Of course those 2 picks were later flipped to Golden State for The Chief and McHale. So in just 4 years Red completely completely rebuilt the team ( with a lot of help from some other clueless GMs ) from one of the worst teams in the league to a Championship team:

- trading McAdoo to Detroit as compensation and also picking up 2 1980 1st round picks
- trading the #1 pick and the #13 pick in the 1980 draft for Robert Parish and the #3 pick which was used to select Kevin McHale

I can't remember where I heard it somebody once said that James Naismith might have invented the game of basketball but Red Auerbach perfected it. :thumbu:
Fantastic post and I remember a lot of this once you put it here

I really enjoyed basketball back in those days

Red was amazing

The Cowens/Havlicek/White Celtics were my favorites and I was so pissed though when Red traded Paul Westphal for Charlie Scott

I couldn’t believe it when he stole Paul Silas

What a legend he was and irks me to this day Rick Pitino took his title away

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I feel that laughing at this would bring me one step closer to hell. Ah screw it......it's worth it. :laugh:
Haha!!!

I’m pretty sure that Mr. West himself would chortle over that.

I have no idea what you have going on in your life, but if you’re on your way to perdition, I doubt laughing at this will be what seals your doom. So, go ahead and laugh away because that is some funny shit right there!

Rest in peace, Mr. West, and know that Banner 18 will be as glorious as you would expect. I’m sure your view of the parade will be spectacular. 😎

Reactions: MustardStew and DKH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
People forgot Xavier Tillman was familiar w/ Dallas' defensive schemes from his time w/ Memphis.... that's why he became 1st option off the bench in place of KP

Reactions: lopey

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
One of Red's most underrated moves was bringing in Dennis Johnson. Seattle had made everyone think he was this malcontent headcase and Red took a chance on him. I wish DJ knew just how beloved he was and is in Boston. Gone far too soon.

Red was simply the best. Ahead of his time in every way.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
That whole Bob McAdoo scenario is just amazing. Red Auerbach was hoarding 1st round picks during this rebuilding time ( he had Golden State's 1979 pick for Jo Jo White and Seattle's 1979 pick for Dennis Awtrey ) but Brown went behind his back and traded all 3 1st round picks in the 1979 NBA Draft to New York for McAdoo. The Knicks ended up using those picks on Bill Cartwright ( 3rd overall ), Larry Demic ( 9th overall ) and Sly Williams ( 23rd overall ). Reports say that Red was so upset about this move and other crap that Brown had pulled as the Celtics owner that he was actually on his way to New York to become GM of the Knicks before changing his mind and returning to Boston. Brown sold the team a few months later to co-owner Harry Mangurian who told Auerbach that he was going to let him run the team with no more interference from the owner.

Awesome post.

The bold is one of my favorite trivia bits to pull out when some asshat decides to question my sports knowledge. It usually ends with their buddies laughing and me with a free beer.

My other go to trivia bits are Danny Ainge as a Blue Jay and Loscotoff and why his name is on the banner and not his number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad