Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
We all said that a 75%-Landy would an upgrade to this roster. I would say he is there now going by that video and he still has some time to improve on that. I feel very optimistic about him being ready for game 1 or at least playing at 85% of what he used to be. That is huge for this team. And we are not even talking about what he brings off the ice.

This is how I feel brother guy. I think he looks good enough to get going early, maybe even opening night. Having Landy back is going to be such a boost to this team morale wise. Player wise, if we even get 75% Landy, that's a huge W.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

"He's trying to make a return here sometime near the start of the season and if that goes well, it would be a really big boost for us," Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said Saturday while attending 2024-25 South Carolina Stingrays Fan Fest at North Charleston Coliseum. "So, that's something we're all a little anxious about, but really excited about as well. He hasn't played for us in two years."

Bednar said there is more optimism now that Landeskog will be able to play perhaps within the first month or two of the season, though the timing remains up to him.

"It's just when he feels well enough to sort of keep ramping up and taking the next step," Bednar said. "It's been a long time now, so there's no rush. It's just all with what he's feeling comfortable with. … Just what he's been able to do both in the gym with his training off the ice and what he's been able to do on the ice, we're certainly optimistic that he'll be able to come back."

Bednar said forward Logan O'Connor, who is recovering from season-ending hip surgery, should be ready for the start of the season but called Lehkonen "a question mark."

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
This is exciting. "He might be ready" is the most optimistic thing I've heard since "we hope to have him for the playoffs" and when we heard "we hope to have him at the start of the season" last year.

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hopefully his skating is still NHL caliber...
Skating, timing, reaction time...

He missed the last 195 regular season games, he's turning 32 in November and the play in the NHL is f***ing fast. Regardless of his knee capacity it's not certain that he can overcome that kind of rust. No amount of good will or off ice training can help with that.

The good news is, if he's still quick enough to follow the play, his body had time to heal pretty much all the other battle injuries that he accumulated over the years so that long break might extend his career a bit.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Skating, timing, reaction time...

He missed the last 195 regular season games, he's turning 32 in November and the play in the NHL is f***ing fast. Regardless of his knee capacity it's not certain that he can overcome that kind of rust. No amount of good will or off ice training can help with that.

The good news is, if he's still quick enough to follow the play, his body had time to heal pretty much all the other battle injuries that he accumulated over the years so that long break might extend his career a bit.
I'm really banking on that last bit actually allowing for him to compensate for a decrease in scoring. However, I do believe that after six to eight months of competitive games, his timing has a good chance of getting back on track. But the key is he's got to be still be 7M worth of effective in other ways if the scoring truly does dry up. That means, he's going to have to be more Viking Landy. He's going to be more physical, he's going to be more of a stick up for your team-mates guy since he won't have EJ helping him anymore. He's going to be excellent meat and potatoes hockey and his defensive play needs to get back to normal as quickly as possible. If that happens, you then toss in his leadership and the rising cap and 7M for Landy being Landy but with reduced offensive scoring is probably still a good deal.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I'm really banking on that last bit actually allowing for him to compensate for a decrease in scoring. However, I do believe that after six to eight months of competitive games, his timing has a good chance of getting back on track. But the key is he's got to be still be 7M worth of effective in other ways if the scoring truly does dry up. That means, he's going to have to be more Viking Landy. He's going to be more physical, he's going to be more of a stick up for your team-mates guy since he won't have EJ helping him anymore. He's going to be excellent meat and potatoes hockey and his defensive play needs to get back to normal as quickly as possible. If that happens, you then toss in his leadership and the rising cap and 7M for Landy being Landy but with reduced offensive scoring is probably still a good deal.

Inb4 he becomes a 7m winger version of Ryjo if he can't skate (but for 5 years and not 1 year like Ryjo).

• Wow
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Landeskog is too smart, too much of a competitor and - frankly - too loyal to the Avs organization to undertake all the surgery and the rehab and the practicing if he didn't think he could play at an NHL level. Guy has been an elite player for 10 years - he knows what's required to compete in the NHL. If he didn't think he could do it, the Avs and we would know by now and MacSakic would spending his money.

He wouldn't selfishly hamstring the organization financially on a pipe dream. They would have scheduled his retirement ceremony already and he'd have his office picked out at Kroenkeville.

The fact that that it hasn't happened yet tells me he's gonna play and play at a level that's familiar to all of us. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

When that guy hits the ice at Ball Arena the roof will come off the place.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Landeskog is too smart, too much of a competitor and - frankly - too loyal to the Avs organization to undertake all the surgery and the rehab and the practicing if he didn't think he could play at an NHL level. Guy has been an elite player for 10 years - he knows what's required to compete in the NHL. If he didn't think he could do it, the Avs and we would know by now and MacSakic would spending his money.

He wouldn't selfishly hamstring the organization financially on a pipe dream. They would have scheduled his retirement ceremony already and he'd have his office picked out at Kroenkeville.

The fact that that it hasn't happened yet tells me he's gonna play and play at a level that's familiar to all of us. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

When that guy hits the ice at Ball Arena the roof will come off the place.
A first line winger?

I seriously doubt it, would love to see it though. Even 2nd line quality would be gravy at this point.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
A first line winger?

I seriously doubt it, would love to see it though. Even 2nd line quality would be gravy at this point.

I used the language on purpose - I'd be stunned if he comes back at 100% pre-injury. Not gonna happen. But 85% Landy on the 2nd line would be an amazing jolt. And look familiar. Just not identical.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think basically it comes down to Landy will either come back relatively fine(I mean at a ~2nd line level) or he comes back and it doesn’t work and he doesn’t play again.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Zero chance Landy walks away from >30m. Players have a finite amount of time to make money and Landy fought for that contract. Even if he can't play ever again, he's not walking away from that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad