Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The NHL guys are slowly but surely seperating themselves from the pack. Ylonen had a very decent showing and was able to engage at both end of the rink.
He needs to do that constantly when the hitting starts. Heineman was okay but was unable to make crisp clean passes. Slaf finally looks involved he needs to continue to handle the puck more and be a man looking to be "The Man".

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Ylonen stood out way more than Heineman today.

I think he played well on the defensive side, but offensively It's really tricky to play with Suzuki. I wanna see him with other linemates.

I want to see Ylonen with Suzuki and Caufield. I think his ability to temporize the play will mesh well with those guys.

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Xhekaj is such a underrated hockey player. He can do all on ice. He have high potential!
There is absolutely nothing preventing him from getting better and better. The rocket ship that is Arber Xhekaj blew by the moon and now has Mars in his sights. I wonder which planet he ends up orbiting.

Reactions: Habano

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
There is absolutely nothing preventing him from getting better and better. The rocket ship that is Arber Xhekaj blew by the moon and now has Mars in his sights. I wonder which planet he ends up orbiting.
I will say Xhekaj is a fun one because no one seems to have a read on what he can become. He just keeps beating expectations. We’re also likely 2 full years from seeing his final form as well

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Slaf looked really good. He’s still quite raw but the upside is there. I think the exciting thing is there’s tons of room to grow still. He has way too much going for him. The hands, passing, puck protection, skating. It’s an insane package.

I think it’s totally fair for people to want to see more elite flashes. I think we got more of a taste of that today. He’s clearly very skilled.

I missed the Mesar goal but I’m still very impressed. @Bombshell11 took a lot of flak but what’s crazy is that he wasn’t being that hyperbolic. His skating, passing and hands are elite.

Xhekaj looks incredible. There’s plenty of offensive upside there.

Mailloux needs some time but man the raw tools are incredible.

Just when I think Trudeau can’t impress me more. For how far down I had him on our D depth list, he looks great with the puck.

There is LOTS to be excited about. Never seen anything close to this amount of raw talent on the Habs.

People don’t want to get too excited and I bet it, but anyone with eyes can see that we have tons of talent regardless of whether it all pans out. My take is there’s too much for it to not work out in the end.

Very very impressed and excited

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
All our kids looked great this afternoon, very promising. Mailloux is possibly the one who stood out the most, but Ylonen, Heineman, Slaf, Mesar, Trudeau ect all had a good game. Apparently Farrell had a solid game this morning too, so only positives. Next step the exhibition games starting on monday, cant wait!!

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Hughes will definitely have to trade some defencemen for help up front at one point. We still have time to see how some of them develop this season, but it’s definitely this depth that will help the team move forward.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
What an entertaining game.
Lots of skill and speed on display. This will be a much faster team than what we have seen over the past decade. Now let's see how it translates in real game conditions. Some players that impressed me: Matheson showed why he will be an all-star this season; Suzuki, playing at half speed, was still among the best players on the ice; Newhook gives us a level of speed that we haven't seen since Russ Courtnall was blazing up and down the ice; Davidson continues to impress and shows that he will be an NHL player in the near future whether for us or another team; Mesar displayed flashes of his offensive potential. There is no doubt in this writer's opinion he will play in the NHL, and play well; Mailloux continues to grow as a player, demonstrating increased confidence and his elite offensive vision. While still a bit wobbly in his own zone, Mailloux's two zone pass that led to Team White's third goal showed that no other Montreal defenceman can match his first pass. It's not even close. While Mailloux will start the season in Laval, this kid is close to making the team and being the star that some of us have predicted; Both Xhekaj and Barron played at a level that confirms they will be important members of Montreal's defensive core this season.; Slafkovsky had a good game. While still an awkward skater, he made the right plays and provided a good indication that he will be a much more impactful player this year.

Just my quick initial thoughts.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
All our kids looked great this afternoon, very promising. Mailloux is possibly the one who stood out the most, but Ylonen, Heineman, Slaf, Mesar, Trudeau ect all had a good game. Apparently Farrell had a solid game this morning too, so only positives. Next step the exhibition games starting on monday, cant wait!!
Tomorrow's Red White should be competitive if this A vs D game is any indication. A lot of our players are much further along in their preps than I've seen in the past. This hanging together over the summer and putting in time with each other is evident.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldenhands

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Hard to tell much of anything in these games. Barely any board play, not much structure.

For instance Caufield looked invisible, but we all know he's dynamic. I wouldn't put too much stock in these types of games.
Same as every year early on prospects look great then as the camp goes on the NHLers ramp up and leave everyone behind them

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
Ideas for OT lines:
1: Caufild-Suzuki-Matheson
2: Dach-Moneyhands-Guhle
3:Newhook-Anderson-Xhekaj

Ideas for PP lines:
1: Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Monahan-Matheson
2: RHP-Newhook-Anderson
Guhle-Xhekaj