Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Ideas for OT lines:
1: Caufild-Suzuki-Matheson
2: Dach-Moneyhands-Guhle
3:Newhook-Anderson-Xhekaj

Ideas for PP lines:
1: Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Monahan-Matheson
2: RHP-Newhook-Anderson
Guhle-Xhekaj

EDIT: Insert Slaf in the mix when he's shown he deserves it
It gives us more options. But imagine what Mailloux and Hutson will give us starting 25/26. They are built for 3 on 3 hockey.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
RNH is a bottom 6 player as for the thirdline and 4th , just put the names in a bucket and draw a name each game. Until we have for once a prospect that can force the top 6
I'm hoping RHP has some offense, and Roy too eventually.

We'll see about Pearson as a 3rd liner. He, Gallagher, Ylonen and the young guys should be fighting for the last top 9 wing spot. If 3 of Newhook, Dach, Monahan, and Suzuki play well at center, maybe Dvo is that 6th and final top 9 winger. We can rank RHP 5th best winger. But I think he may prove better than that.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Ideas for OT lines:

Ideas for PP lines:
Monahan-Matheson
Guhle-Xhekaj

Xhekaj is not fast enough for OT, Harris would look better, Barron, Mailloux

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ideas for OT lines:

Ideas for PP lines:
Monahan-Matheson
Guhle-Xhekaj

OT is 5 mins. It should just be Matheson and Guhle that see the ice. No need for Xhekaj.

Reactions: Jaynki and MadMslm

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
be deserves a serious look this year. How would be look 18 minutes a night for 30 games? Better than Harris? Maybe.
It's not hard to look better than Harris... Admittedly I haven't see Trudeau play so can't judge, but if he is solid and doesn't look out of place in pre-season games why not? Harris could watch some videos or play in AHL. I'd have zero issues with that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ideas for OT lines:

Ideas for PP lines:
Monahan-Matheson
Guhle-Xhekaj

We may also want to work RHP and Barron in there.

ylonen looked really good. He also hit the 200lb mark! Good to see him bulk up. We need to see if he stays engaged when it gets physical.
You'll really get a feel for Ylonen in the NHL in his 2nd year - hope he makes it that far.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

durojean

May 29, 2007
If Heineman and Davidson can get a shot with Suzuki and Caufield, will Slafkovsky and Roy each get their chance?

Gallagher and Armia are the bad contracts.

But Bergevin also left us with:

Caufield, Suzuki, Anderson, RHP, Roy, Evans, Ylonen, (plus Toffoli and Lehkonen as trade chips),

Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Savard, Mailloux, Trudeau, Struble, (plus Chiarot, Kulak, and Petry as trade chips)

Montembault, Allen, Primeau.

You have to remember that he left us that with a 5 years gap were the team was not making the playoffs.

We should be much further along.
Bergevin was an awful GM with no vision.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Crap?

Pearson is a 2-time 20+goals scorer who might do as well or even better with top linemates.

Other than Monahan and Dach, who do we have that is a proven player? And even Dach never scored 20.

Obviously if we find another real first liner, we can put him there, but for now, I'd rather have Monahan drive a different line.

Another option is Roy. He did very well complementing Bedard. But can he handle the minutes of a first liner as a rookie?

Slaf is a future possibility, but not now. Davidson is not an option yet. RHP is small ahnd perhaps pairs better with Gallagher.

Newhook maybe?

Many observers have wsaid that Dvorak can play with good players. Ask Mitch Marner. He is just not a play driver, but Dvo definitely can complement, improve the results in their own zone, and help with left-side faceoffs.
Very wishful thinking

Reactions: Rapala

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Loved Mailloux in the backend, I feel he is more solid then Barron. Matheson looks like a superstar and Arbor showing he his there to stay.
Mailloux may very well become a better player than Barron. Currently this is not the case until he plays NHL games like Barron has.

We may also want to work RHP and Barron in there.

You'll really get a feel for Ylonen in the NHL in his 2nd year - hope he makes it that far.
It's now or never for Ylonen in Montreal. He will never clear waivers.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
So the strategy will be to tie all the reg season games...
Depending on the relative strength of your team, there are worse strategies. With almost 20% of games played in the NHL going into overtime, coupled with the growing effects of parity, those extra points that a team can secure in overtime wins can make the difference in making or missing the playoffs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You have to remember that he left us that with a 5 years gap were the team was not making the playoffs.

We should be much further along.
Bergevin was an awful GM with no vision.
No disagreement on that.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Loved Mailloux in the backend, I feel he is more solid then Barron. Matheson looks like a superstar and Arbor showing he his there to stay.

I'm concerned Matheson looks like a superstar. Are we going to be bad? like really bad again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad