Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If Gauthier comes out and has an amazing camp, does he slot into the second line or get sent back to juniors? We could have the solution right in front of us and be passing over it in favor of more popular names.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If Gauthier comes out and has an amazing camp, does he slot into the second line or get sent back to juniors? We could have the solution right in front of us and be passing over it in favor of more popular names.

It’s possible someone makes the jump, but probably optimistic.

What we do have working for us this year is that if we don’t find someone in free agency, we have flexibility during the season. We aren’t using LTIR so we can accrue cap and we got some draft capital back. So you could try to fill the spot from within with the option of upgrading at the deadline.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It’s possible someone makes the jump, but probably optimistic.

What we do have working for us this year is that if we don’t find someone in free agency, we have flexibility during the season. We aren’t using LTIR so we can accrue cap and we got some draft capital back. So you could try to fill the spot from within with the option of upgrading at the deadline.
Maybe geekie if he has a good camp ?

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
just thinking out loud, but what kind of clauses does Nick Paul have?

the UFA centers are pretty underwhelming, so he may have decent value on the trade market. but it'd probably be tough to find a suitable replacement making less money

i just think we could find better. 24/22 is great for a 3rd line C, but he stills seems pretty meh to me. not really a play driver or a defensive guy, doesn't use his size and a below average skater

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm wondering if any of the buyouts will entice us. Maybe a Shattenkirk situation where they give us a year to pad their stats for next year's contract.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
and Nicholas Robertson has requested a trade from Toronto.

im not sure what his next contract would look like and if toronto would even deal him to us, but it's slim pickings to find a good player in ufa to put on the 3rd line if we spend 4+ to get another top 6 guy after guentzel

the trade route would be the way to go to fill that spot unless jbb is satisfied filling it with junk.

27 points in 56 games on only 11 minutes a game is pretty good at 22

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Maybe geekie if he has a good camp ?
Geekie hasn't even played in the A yet. While not impossible that he'd make the.big club, it would take quite an impressive camp to get a regular role this coming year. I would guess that with great play in 'Cuse, that he'd be a quick call up though if needed.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The HF boards shuts down 11:59 am the lightning announce Jake guentzel contract, 12:05 pm they announce the hedman extension and 1231 pm they announce the stamkos contract for 4 million AAV for 8 years

The. They announce the Cory Perry contract 1 year deal 😀😊

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
In a vacuum are the Lightning better Gentzel than Stammer? I think so, assuming McDonough can slot in as the captain. You have a top scoring line with Point Kuch and Gentzel which allows Hagel to slot in with Cirelli more consistently on a shutdown line. Stammer had a great year and still brings a ton of value, but the Lightning were constantly trying to figure out the best combination with Stammer in the top 6. Until the playoffs, the top line was better with Hagel. Meanwhile Hagel also fits better with Cirelli. So I do understand the thought process.

That said Stammers contract compared to Gentzels probably saves the Lightning around 4-5 million against the cap, allowing JBB to add another piece. Is Gentzel worth Stammer plus 4-5 million of cap space? Hard to say

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
Did people really just to run it back for a 3rd year and hope we wouldn’t lose in the first round again? I understand the sentimental feelings for Stammer but it is very unusual for any player in any sport to play their whole career with one team. The current mix was not working and JBB’s job is to ice a winning team.

Reactions: enj92 and RMF5630

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2