Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Interesting. New Jersey signed the "other" Malek.
The article gets the order of events in Orlando completely wrong, although it doesn't undermine their main point.

Orlando was also a goalie graveyard for several years (just being real). They turned that around last season after adding goalie coach Nathan Craze.

If you don't have adequate coaching, even if you get a stud, they'll look like another dud.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he is just such an aloof character that people think he isn't serious, it has always been a common theme around him since the draft. The thing is, he produces very well at this level and wouldn't be a bad option, but it would require a lot of retention and more outbound assets.
I don't think he would be a great option for us, just because he's not going to get any serious PP time while Stamkos is still around. Seems like that would cut into his offense more than we could counter-act with salary retention.

Aside from that, I'm just not sure he would ever be a guy Jon Cooper would get the most out of. The one guy on the team who sometimes gets a pass for a lack of grind is Kucherov, and that's only because he's a special talent. I feel like Laine's a guy who would slowly sink down our line up because Cooper would just lose more and more trust over time.

Reactions: Sky04 and OffBy1

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think he would be a great option for us, just because he's not going to get any serious PP time while Stamkos is still around. Seems like that would cut into his offense more than we could counter-act with salary retention.

Aside from that, I'm just not sure he would ever be a guy Jon Cooper would get the most out of. The one guy on the team who sometimes gets a pass for a lack of grind is Kucherov, and that's only because he's a special talent. I feel like Laine's a guy who would slowly sink down our line up because Cooper would just lose more and more trust over time.

What a waste of assets it would be to get him and have his awful contract retained. Stamkos does the same thing and costs nothing.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I know Eklund is a clown, but didn't know his articles were clustef***s (cause I didn't even bother to ever read one)

"Logically…..Stamkos, a legendary kid from Toronto, who won the Stanley Cup playing with now Montréal Canadiens coach Marty St. Louis, is heading to a team that has tons of space and the Lightning realize that they can no longer match the price.

Meanwhile, Stephen Stamkos has told folks since he was a kid watching them in Ontario, he would love to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs."
Lmao

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

That and he is very, very expensive. I think they could actually get great production out of him, but the $$ involved even with retention is just a non-starter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That and he is very, very expensive. I think they could actually get great production out of him, but the $$ involved even with retention is just a non-starter.
If I'm not mistaken, he and Stamkos play the same spot on the PP. I don't see how we get the main benefits of Laine so long as Stamkos occupies that space. But yeah, non starter regardless.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Ok I am totally against of trading some of Cirelly Sergy or Cernak, but I m ok with trading Cirelly and 7th round pick for McDavid, dude really needs to play on an actuall good hockey team

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ok I am totally against of trading some of Cirelly Sergy or Cernak, but I m ok with trading Cirelly and 7th round pick for McDavid, dude really needs to play on an actuall good hockey team
lol 😂 would you trade cirell, sergy and our 2026 1st round pick and 2027 first round pick for mcdavid?

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
lol 😂 would you trade cirell, sergy and our 2026 1st round pick and 2027 first round pick for mcdavid?
nope we are too good, and if Mac wants to play in a real hockey team he will accept this trade otherwise he is stuck with this Edm kinda a hockey xD

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
nope we are too good, and if Mac wants to play in a real hockey team he will accept this trade otherwise he is stuck with this Edm kinda a hockey xD

I don't know it seems better than lose in the 1st round 2 years in a row type of hockey.

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
Players do improve, and Matheson would be far from a poor replacement as part of a Serg trade, especially when it also brings in much needed cap space, a good NHL ready prospect and a 1st. JBB has also far from made only mistakes the past 3 years.
Oh, but Conor Sheary was a freaking gem of a signing. That caused more of a salary cap issue than Serg. Sure Serg makes more money but HE PRODUCES POINTS where Sheary is a healthy scratch because he freaking DOWNRIGHT SUCKS!!!!! Every fan of every team he played on says the same thing. Fudge Mathetson, he is garbage PERIOD!!!!

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Oh, but Conor Sheary was a freaking gem of a signing. That caused more of a salary cap issue than Serg. Sure Serg makes more money but HE PRODUCES POINTS where Sheary is a healthy scratch because he freaking DOWNRIGHT SUCKS!!!!! Every fan of every team he played on says the same thing. Fudge Mathetson, he is garbage PERIOD!!!!
Yes, Sheary's signing has turned out to be a poor one thus far, but that doesn't mean nor prove that JBB has made only bad moves the last 3 years, nor does it have anything to do with the value of a hypothetical Serg trade (where he's not involved). It's also great that you intensely dislike Matheson, but that also doesn't change the fact that he's a top 4 caliber fman that has 2 years left and makes considerably less than Serg. I have also said that a trade of any of Serg, Cirelli, or Cernak us unlikely to.occur, but that also does not change the fact that trading Serg provides the team with both the most flexibility in terms of cap space to improve the team in different areas this season, as well as likely providing the.best return to help the team both now and in the future. An RD would be preferable over another LD such as Matheson, either in a hypothetical trade or with the cap space gained (more so if Serg just returned picks and prospects), but the proposed trade from that poster wouldn't ne a bad one if that was the best offer for Serg if JBB was actually taking offers on him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sheary *might* work but we have to move away from being such a passive forechecking team. The second we got up 2-0 (usually within the 1st 15 minutes of the night) our offense consisted of F1 dumping in the puck and F2 arriving too late. So instead F2 just Hail Mary back to the defensive zone with the other 3 guys for the ensuing counter attack and we'd go from like 11 SOG in the 1st period to like 3 in the 2nd and 5 in the 3rd provided we didn't squander our lead

We spent all night playing with our food begging to blow whatever advantage we made for ourselves and the only time we'd attack was the power play

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
BRING HIM BACK OVER BLASHILL

IMG_2176.gif

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Sheary *might* work but we have to move away from being such a passive forechecking team.
Sheary is the worst NHL player I've seen at board battles. That's not to gloss over his other tools, such as falling down when attempting a pass, a shot or a move with the puck.

I'd like to hope that maybe he could return to at least potting 15 goals to add some balance to all his deficiencies, but he'd probably have to be on a line with Kucherov for that to happen - definitely not with Paul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad