2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
v9y6pthevxrb1.jpg

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Player of the month nominees:

Alvarez - 2G 2A
Bowen - 3G
Neto - 1G 3A
Salah - 2G 2A
Son - 6G
Trippier - 4A
Watkins - 4G 1A

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The way they word that looks like they are saying he leads the PL in all those categories, heh.
He's pretty high up in the PL in those categories, but Chelsea has probably had too much possession for him to lead. Most players above him play for teams that concede possession.

He's 4th in the PL in tackles+interceptions for example. He's been one of the best ball winners in the league this season.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Lady Catherine Ferguson has passed away. Sir Alex and she had been married since 1966.

It's hard enough to find a partner for 57 years, but to do that in the very public eye is really quite a feat. They seemed truly happy and in tune with each other:

It was Lady Cathy who helped talk Sir Alex out of his initial plans to retire in 2002. Writing in his autobiography, he revealed she had told him: "One, your health is good. Two, I’m not having you in the house. And three, you’re too young anyway."

Sir Alex has since revealed that his decision to eventually retire in 2013 was partly influenced by the death of Lady Cathy's sister, Bridget Robertson.

“I definitely would have carried on,” he said. “I saw [my wife] was watching television one night, and she looked up at the ceiling. I knew she was isolated. Her and Bridget were twins, you know?”

Having talked him out of retirement once, Sir Alex said there was no attempt to do so when he did call time on his career in 2013.

“When I told her this time I was going to retire she had no objection whatsoever. I knew she wanted me to do it," he said.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Jacob Ramsey re-injured the same thing that kept him out for 3 months. Another big blow for us after not having our first choice left side and then ACL tears to Buendia & Mings.

Watkins signed a new long term contract, good news.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So, the Spurs very easy schedule to start the season is going to catch up with them in December when they have Aston Villa, Man City, West Ham, and Newcastle United all in a row. Then in late April, they have Newcastle, Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool in a row as well.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
So, the Spurs very easy schedule to start the season is going to catch up with them in December when they have Aston Villa, Man City, West Ham, and Newcastle United all in a row. Then in late April, they have Newcastle, Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool in a row as well.
Bad enough to make them finish 11th or lower like you believed?

Sure, their schedule has been relatively easy. But winning the easier games consistently is hardly a guarantee, and they've done that so far. They've gotten good results from the more difficult games too. Including against the "mighty" Arsenal at the Emirates.

Look, I'm absolutely not saying they are title contwnders. Hardly believe they'll keep up this form. But Champions League next season looks like a real possibility so far.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Bad enough to make them finish 11th or lower like you believed?

Sure, their schedule has been relatively easy. But winning the easier games consistently is hardly a guarantee, and they've done that so far. They've gotten good results from the more difficult games too. Including against the "mighty" Arsenal at the Emirates.

Look, I'm absolutely not saying they are title contwnders. Hardly believe they'll keep up this form. But Champions League next season looks like a real possibility so far.

Let their insecurities continue to make them lash out at another club.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If I got to play a Luton Town-esque club, I would start falsely believing the same aspect so I fully understand your opinion.
Let their insecurities continue to make them lash out at another club.
No insecurity from me brethren, just an observation I detected as to why the Spurs are tied for 1st overall. Very easy schedule with some serendipitous mixed in (ref against LFC). If the Spurs are still in a pretty decent spot after those two notable areas of the schedule that I posted above, then I will absolutely give you lot credit. I'll wait until otherwise noted.
Including against the "mighty" Arsenal at the Emirates.
Yes, but we also beat City with our best player out for it as well (with their best player out) which is the best team in the entire world.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If I got to play a Luton Town-esque club, I would start falsely believing the same aspect so I fully understand your opinion.
Reminder that "mighty title contenders" Arsenal drew 20th place Southampton twice last season.

Yes, but we also beat City with our best player out for it as well (with their best player out) which is the best team in the entire world.
City looked piss yesterday. Spurs did a much better job at the Emirates than they did. That doesn't mean I think they are the better team however.

Very easy schedule with some serendipitous mixed in (ref against LFC).
That's funny because that's the exact thing I can say after the North London Derby considering that Nketiah never was sent off for clattering Vicario.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Another dour Wolverhampton game, doesn't matter who their manager is, they're almost always an awful team to watch.

Hope they get relegated alongside Brentford and one of Bournemouth/Luton but realistically Brentford & Wolves are staying up in this league at least this year.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
De Gea were a 20 year old in a new country. Not comparable imo.
Adding to this, all recent instances of a top level keeper (off top of head) coming to England as a finished product (not as a project, so removing De Gea and Kepa) have been successful and hit the ground running:

- Ederson
- Alisson
- Courtois (bought as prospect but came over as one of the best keepers in the world already)
- Lloris (once he unseated Brad Friedel who inexplicably started the first handful of games that season)

Onana is the one exception to this I can come up with.

IMO keeper is the kind of position where you should only splurge for absolute sure things because - outside of the handful of guys at the very very top - the differences are not enormous.

Admittedly, I did think Onana was a sure thing (although I think he'll prob come good at United).

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Highlight how similar their starts were. Both let in howlers.
Yes, obviously, we're not stupid. But (unless you were sharing just as a funny little tidbit, in which case, great i guess?) the obvious point was "De Gea started bad and turned out to be world class", in which case the comparison hits major walls early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad