2023-2024 Calder predictions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
With the way he's looked in pre-season I don't see how Bedard can be anything other than massive odds-on favourite.

Cooley I think will be up there.

Easy to forget that in a non-Bedard year, Fantilli is a high-level 1st overall pick. Probably somewhere in the Jack Hughes range. Wouldn't be shocked if he puts up 70 points on a very surprisingly good BJ's team.
The betting markets basically have it Bedard vs. The Field for Calder, with a slight lean toward Bedard.

Given his track record and opportunity he'll get with Chicago, it makes absolute sense he is the large favourite.

The only other guys I see with a shot, if they can get on their teams' 1PP, are Fantilli and Cooley. Luke Hughes won't get enough PP time, and it's hard to see Levi being an undisputed starter (which he would need to be to win the Calder).

What have any of them done in the NHL? Knies has shown he belongs in a teams top 6. Not to mention he is a power forward prospect, his scoring is one part of his value.
This is a discussion about the Calder. Knies will need points to win the Calder. He's not gonna get enough points. Being on the 1PP is pretty much a prerequisite to getting to that level of production, and Knies won't be on it.

Elite skill and skating. He does look a little smaller than advertised though, hopefully the kid keeps his head up and on a swivel once the games start to matter.
He's not an elite skater. The straightline speed is not at all McDavid or Barzal level. But his edgework and balance is quite good and he can play the small area game.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Knies isn't going to have the raw production to win the Calder.

I think he could. It’s possible if the Leafs are rolling all year and an offensive dynamo (which is certainly possible).

He’s going to get good minutes with great offensive players

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I think it's fair to say Kane elevated Gagner and Kostitsyn's numbers big time.

Gagner went from 46p in 56gp in the USHL to 118 in 53gp in the OHL. That's a jump of 0.83ppg in a lesser league to 2.22ppg in the best junior league in the world.

Kostitsyn went from 78p in 63gp to 131p in 58gp. That's 1.24ppg.to 2.26ppg.

I actually don't think Howe and Suzdalev are really that far from those two (and Bedard had a much better PP QB in Svozil than anyone in London), but the stylistic differences Bedard's game tends to lead to less even scoring distributions. Kane was much more of a facilitator and pass first guy, which tends to get more guys involved in scoring plays. Whereas Bedard, while an incredible passer, will look to do things on his own if he can. We saw the same effect when he played for Canada. This is neither a good or bad thing, just providing some context as to why Bedard's scoring always laps that of his teammates (beyond the obvious fact that he's just better than everyone else).
Kane certainly helped them, but they were also a year older, and progressed naturally as kids do in junior.

Look at it another way. Kane had a point in 47% of his team's goals. Brown, 42%. Bedard was in on 55% of the Pat's goals last year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Kane certainly helped them, but they were also a year older, and progressed naturally as kids do in junior.
You'd expect some natural progression, but nothing like what we saw from Kostitsyn and especially Gagner.

Look at it another way. Kane had a point in 47% of his team's goals. Brown, 42%. Bedard was in on 55% of the Pat's goals last year.
Yep, but again a lot of that is attributed to stylistic differences. Kane was much more likely to get others involved in the play. Regina also had absolutely pathetic depth, whereas the Knights' 2nd line was great in their own right. The 4th-6th scoring forwards on London were all over a PPG (including Corey's little brother Adam "AJ" Perry). That's 6 PPG+ forwards to the Pats 3 PPG forwards.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think he could. It’s possible if the Leafs are rolling all year and an offensive dynamo (which is certainly possible).

He's not going to be on the 1PP, which is pretty much a prerequisite to getting to the production level to win the Calder.

And yeah, he will play with good offensive players. But the Leafs have so many offensive players that his total TOI won't be high, again limiting the total production.

There is basically 0% chance he can win.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I think he’s have to win the point race by a pretty decent amount to win Calder

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
You'd expect some natural progression, but nothing like what we saw from Kostitsyn and especially Gagner.
Totally fair. And I don't mean to suggest that Kane wasn't a big part of that.
Yep, but again a lot of that is attributed to stylistic differences. Kane was much more likely to get others involved in the play. Regina also had absolutely pathetic depth, whereas the Knights' 2nd line was great in their own right. The 4th-6th scoring forwards on London were all over a PPG (including Corey's little brother Adam "AJ" Perry). That's 6 PPG+ forwards to the Pats 3 PPG forwards.
That's kind of my point. Kane and Brown had a lot more talent to work with.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not saying it will happen (because its extremely unlikely) but Bunting put up over 60 points being stapled to M&M's side with no pp1 time.

Dont really see Knies being given that kind of deployment though. He will be used throughout the line up to try and give specific lines a boost.

I think he has a decent chance a being of finalist if all goes well, but an extreme long shot at actually winning the thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not saying it will happen (because its extremely unlikely) but Bunting put up over 60 points being stapled to M&M's side with no pp1 time.

Dont really see Knies being given that kind of deployment though. He will be used throughout the line up to try and give specific lines a boost.

I think he has a decent chance a being a finalist if all goes well, but an extreme long shot at actually winning the thing.

I think he’ll be a finalist if he stays healthy, but he’ll need a lot of help to win it

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Only thing that will hold Bedard back from winning is injury, no one else has a chance.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
In a few years? He is that today. You think he is an AHLer or something?
What exactly are you basing that on?

I think he is a physically ready young player who hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. I think he has a long way to go and I think it's a shame that Leaf fans and media have these ridiculous expectations of him being a star right away.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What exactly are you basing that on?

I think he is a physically ready young player who hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. I think he has a long way to go and I think it's a shame that Leaf fans and media have these ridiculous expectations of him being a star right away.

Because he was a star in the playoffs when he was comfortable. He was on the ice for nearly every important goal against Tampa. And he came into this pre-season and is showing he is special still. The hype has merit

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Because he was a star in the playoffs when he was comfortable. He was on the ice for nearly every important goal against Tampa. And he came into this pre-season and is showing he is special still. The hype has merit
He wasn't a star. He had 1 goql and 4 points in 7 games and got manhandled by a smaller player.

You guys are out here calling him the favourite after Bedard. He was 23rd in points per game in the NCAA last season with many of the guys ahead of him graduating to the NHL this year.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
A star? My lord, such a comically low bar the leafs have.

Reactions: Haatley

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Hes probably to busy watching the great Dylan Holloway.
Yeah, Oiler fans are realy saying idiotic things about Holloway.
Give your head a shake. We get its 56 years , but cool it with the insanity

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
No contest really.

IMG_0220.jpeg

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad