2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
To be clear, I'm not advocating for bottoming out. I don't think trading Buch would be bottoming out because we'd still have too many good players to really tank. Trading Buch accomplishes 3 things: we don't have to sign him to a long contract that will likely feel a lot like Schenn's contract half way through it, we get whatever assets we get in a trade, and we draft higher next year. I've liked the guy since he was Ranger, but what does extending him well into his 30s accomplish? When we last extended Schenn, we could at least say we're ignoring the bad second half of that contract to contend better during the first half.

Gives a much better environment for our younger guys to come in to. Allows us to at least have a chance at the playoffs. Also eases up the need for younger players to have to jump into positions they aren't really suited for yet. Schenn should realistically be filling this role in a perfect world. But I don't have alot of faith that he can do so without the team sinking.

Thomas has generally played his best hockey while playing with Buch. I don't think we can realistically expect Thomas to take another step if we remove Buch.

There's certainly pros to keeping him. Just have to see if it outweighs the cons. I think if they do move it'll be at the trade deadline for alot of these reasons. Figure when Steen takes over, Faulk/Krug will have one more season if not moved. Schenn I think 2 more years. Binnington 1 more year. Cap will be even higher.

The only cap commitments we realistically will have are to Thomas, Kyrou, Parayko = 23m

1 year of Krug/Faulk/Binnington = 19m

2 years of Schenn = 6.5m

Neighbors extension ~ 4-5m
Buchnevich ~7-8m

Bolduc, Snuggerud will probably be bridged by that point in time.
Dvorsky will most likely be a year from needing and extension.
We have a plethora of other guys that will be on pretty team friendly deals.

That cap hit of Buch most likely isn't going to be too much of a hinderance to reshaping the defense. I think you're going to need to either bring in a vet via trade or via free agency with the amount of youngsters.

What we'd probably get from Buch would be similar to a pick in the 25-32 range, a mid round pick and a prospect that would probably not crack our current top 10 maybe even 15 prospects.

It's alot to weigh. In my mind the main benefit for moving Buch right now would be to try and position better to secure a top 5 pick - still unlikely, and to allow a spot for a young guy to play in the top 6. But we don't really have anyone that's in the age range aside from Neighbors to need that extra playing time. Buch is versatile enough to slide up and down the lineup at all 3 forward spots that I don't think he'd block someone.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I understand the frustration but I think people are frustrated by the wrong thing. What I am frustrated by the moves and framing that we are in some kind of re-tool by Army. We are in a rebuild, not one where we tear it down to the studs but one where we slowly integrate young players into the existing roster and back fill aging players with high quality prospects.

The last two years we have been accumulating draft picks and prospects and should be continuing to do so. Instead Army is out here talking about re-signing a 30 year old forward to an extension and using the assets we should be adding to in order to shed a bad contract. Those are the moves of a team re-tooling but if we actually were in a re-tool our free agent frenzy would have looked more like Nashville's.

Don't get me wrong I am happy we didn't spend. I don't want a re-tool I want to continue this rebuild on the fly and I want Army to accept the truth. Sell Buchnevich, Saad, Krug, Leddy and Faulk as their contracts are closing to add assets. Use those assets to continue to draft and/or use assets to make move savvy moves for players like Texier.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Give me the Boqvist brothers, Adam and Jesper. There’s your forward and RD depth for the season on the cheap. I think they’ve still both got the potential to reach their draft pedigrees, but if they don’t, you’re not going to lose much in giving them a shot

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Give me the Boqvist brothers, Adam and Jesper. There’s your forward and RD depth for the season on the cheap. I think they’ve still both got the potential to reach their draft pedigrees, but if they don’t, you’re not going to lose much in giving them a shot
Wait, Both of them didn't get Tenured a QO?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Did Army say Bolduc and Dean will have bigger roles this? Not sure I heard that right. Just caught the end of it.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I’m so glad rather than using the second to trade up for Buium we used it to clear Hayes cap space….now we have 16 mil. When does FA start?! I’m thinking Pesce and Marchessault. Maybe Stamkos? Let’s see what he does here before we all agree he’s a moron that has done nothing right and needs to be shot into outer space. Waaay too early.

Yeah, Army mentioned them having roles, and Dvorsky will be given a shot

Yeah, Army mentioned them having roles, and Dvorsky will be given a shot.
Good. We need the cap space. For Mackinnon and McDavid both apparently.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m so glad rather than using the second to trade up for Buium we used it to clear Hayes cap space….now we have 16 mil. When does FA start?! I’m thinking Pesce and Marchessault. Maybe Stamkos? Let’s see what he does here before we all agree he’s a moron that has done nothing right and needs to be shot into outer space. Waaay too early.

Good. We need the cap space. For Mackinnon and McDavid both apparently.
No one is happy about giving up the 2nd, but I think its likely Philadelphia would say no to adding two 2nds to try and swap 1sts with them. We were asking them to move back too far. If we pretend that Armstrong didn't try, we're just making up a narrative.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
By the time our window starts to open in 2 years, doesn’t our cap look great? A few big contracts will be rolling off (Schenn, Faulk, Leddy, Krug, Saad)

Edit
Faulk has 3 years left
Schenn has 4
Krug has 3
Leddy has 2
Saad has 2

That’s not horrible. It’s manageable

LetsGoBooze

Dickinson was in range...
Jan 16, 2012
Wouldnt mind a cheap vet or two on 1 year deals in hopes of possibly flipping at the deadline for assets. Glad we didnt bring in any of these 30 yearolds on roster clogger 6&7 year deals. Looks like DA did align his actions with his previous words. Doing nothing was the right move in this market.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I understand the frustration but I think people are frustrated by the wrong thing. What I am frustrated by the moves and framing that we are in some kind of re-tool by Army. We are in a rebuild, not one where we tear it down to the studs but one where we slowly integrate young players into the existing roster and back fill aging players with high quality prospects.

The last two years we have been accumulating draft picks and prospects and should be continuing to do so. Instead Army is out here talking about re-signing a 30 year old forward to an extension and using the assets we should be adding to in order to shed a bad contract. Those are the moves of a team re-tooling but if we actually were in a re-tool our free agent frenzy would have looked more like Nashville's.

Don't get me wrong I am happy we didn't spend. I don't want a re-tool I want to continue this rebuild on the fly and I want Army to accept the truth. Sell Buchnevich, Saad, Krug, Leddy and Faulk as their contracts are closing to add assets. Use those assets to continue to draft and/or use assets to make move savvy moves for players like Texier.
I generally agree with this, but it does further my complete frustration with the Hayes deal. I agree with not spending big today, and even as someone who doesn't love Kap, I can't hate him on a 1x1. But trading a 2nd rounder to trade Hayes instead of just buying him out just feels like Army being stubborn on his refusal to buy out a contract. The cap space doesn't matter right now, and we aren't going to be spending to the cap. Why are we trading a future asset to unload a contract when we aren't going to be competitive or spend to the cap? The only other excuse is if he was asked to cut payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad