2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

Carolina Blues

May 27, 2019
I can't tell you how many times my wife asked me "aren't you tired of watching that yet?" ... The 20 minute youtube video of every Blues goal from the cup run... so many memorable goals but I think Schwartz scoring with a few seconds left against the Jets might be at the top... or Bortuzzo against the Sharks..., or Maroon in 2OT... or

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The experience of that game was like going up on a high wire across the grand canyon and the game starts and you are walking on it, focused, but you might fall. But since you are aware this is happening right now you are in complete zone of going through it.

I know it's not the appropriate moment but I personally felt the Blues were going to win the Cup when I said to my partner, "You know what would be great is if the Blues scored here with 20 seconds left and made it 2-0" and then Petro did that as if were manifested. And at that moment I was no longer prepared to fall, but also confident we were getting across that rope. I have seen too much hockey and been on the other end of that first period too many times. It was simply: "tonight it all goes our way."

The save-3d goal sequence in the third period was the clinching sequence crushing out final Boston hopes but when Petro scored I was internally calm and never budged from that. I just took it in.
There was a Binnington interview during the season where he was asked about the call-up. This was before the post-season, but the Blues were starting to look like a good team. I wish I could remember the venue and find that interview. He answered some question, but he added, "I always felt I was destined to do something great."

I remembered that line when he started Game 7. I thought to myself, "Here is a player who expects to win on this stage." Many (most) rookies would probably eventually wilt under the microscope of that post-season. His mental fortitude and inexplicable confidence was exactly the right ingredient for that post-season.

Taking nothing from Florida, but there are so many great story lines and a dramatic slugfest of a SCF to remember, Layla in the stands, interim head coach, rookie goalie, ROR trade, etc. This year's playoffs are anodyne and forgettable...even though the Panthers are a very good team. When something calls that 2019 run back to remembrance, there is a lot of there there.

I can't tell you how many times my wife asked me "aren't you tired of watching that yet?" ... The 20 minute youtube video of every Blues goal from the cup run... so many memorable goals but I think Schwartz scoring with a few seconds left against the Jets might be at the top... or Bortuzzo against the Sharks..., or Maroon in 2OT... or
Blais' slapshot on a flinchy Bishop.
Scooby Doo Burns.
Schenn's mercifully early empty netter.
Hello? Gunnarsson?
I wonder if I could recreate the entire playoff list if I tried. I bet I could get at least half of them.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I still have game 7 on my Tivo. When I replaced the old Tivo, it got ported to the new one. I'll never get tired of seeing it.

That team had so many chances for the ghosts of playoffs past to bite them. Going up 2-0 on Winnipeg winning both games on the road, only to go into game 5 even at 2 games each. It looked like another dose of playoff frustration.

Going down 3-2 to the Stars and heading to Dallas for game 6 after dropping two straight. Then, going into double OT in game 7. Would any of us have been surprised had that game gone the other way?

Going down 2-1 to San Jose after the infamous hand pass goal. Would we have been surprised had that been the back breaker, based on history?

Each time, they answered the bell and delivered the knockout.

Then, in the finals, giving up a 2-0 lead in game one and losing. Getting run off the ice in game 3 at home. Laying an egg in game 6 with a chance to clinch it. Hell, even the first 15 minutes of the first period of game 7.

To top it off, we had a Netflix show on a little earlier, Eric. They had a bar scene, and on came "Gloria." I am about due to spool up game 7 again, I guess.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I just watched this. Man that team was so deadly down low. So many goals created by making plays in small spaces. I still caught myself getting tense during the SCF Game 7 highlights even though I know the result!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Thought this part was interesting. I guess this could be viewed in a couple different directions. If a deal make sense, I think we'd prefer to keep him, but this could be laying the foundation for getting Buch on board with a trade.

Also kind of confirms what the dynamic with Army and Steen will be.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Thought this part was interesting. I guess this could be viewed in a couple different directions. If a deal make sense, I think we'd prefer to keep him, but this could be laying the foundation for getting Buch on board with a trade.

As an aside, this is also an example of why the Blues made Steen’s GM announcement 2 years early; he’s already talking directly to our players about the direction of our org 2 years from now. Sure, it could have been kept internal (including our players), but it would undoubtedly be made public one way or another, and instilling on a player a duty of confidentiality and hoping the word doesn’t get out just didn’t make much sense.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Interesting tidbit from DeFranks on twitter today. It appears Brian Elliott is back with the team to help with goalie development and scouting.
I suppose Moose has unofficially retired then. I’m sure he’ll be good for the prospect goalies to learn from. He wasn’t super talented but was super dedicated and focused on technique. That should make him a good coach.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Seems more like a covering of their tracks. They would really prefer to keep him, but Army has usually tried to do right by the player. Feels like they understand that they may not compete for a cup very soon and are letting Buch decide if he wants to be there to help build the team. And if not, they can start fielding offers to recoup assets instead of letting him walk. Idk if it's so much as laying the foundation to get him on board with a trade, but seeing if there's mutual interest in resigning. I think it's pretty clear we would trade him if he didn't want to be here.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seems more like a covering of their tracks. They would really prefer to keep him, but Army has usually tried to do right by the player. Feels like they understand that they may not compete for a cup very soon and are letting Buch decide if he wants to be there to help build the team. And if not, they can start fielding offers to recoup assets instead of letting him walk. Idk if it's so much as laying the foundation to get him on board with a trade, but seeing if there's mutual interest in resigning. I think it's pretty clear we would trade him if he didn't want to be here.
I mean, getting these discussions done before the draft is the key part. Getting Buch to start really thinking about the future, and if it's decided a trade makes the most sense, then start thinking about destinations that he'd be open to.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I mean, getting these discussions done before the draft is the key part. Getting Buch to start really thinking about the future, and if it's decided a trade makes the most sense, then start thinking about destinations that he'd be open to.
I just realized he has a modified no-trade, so I guess in that case it would be all of the above wouldn't it

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Interesting tidbit from DeFranks on twitter today. It appears Brian Elliott is back with the team to help with goalie development and scouting.
I am absolutely thrilled about this.

Very few goalies in the world carved out the quality/length of career he had without having noticeably more raw athletic ability. He spent 15 years in the NHL, earned Vezina votes twice, split a Jennings once, earned Hart votes once, and started over 500 games when you include playoff totals. That's a truly awesome NHL career and he accomplished it because he is an absolute battler.

He's not tall (by the standards of the position in his era), he wasn't a particularly good skater, and his reflexes weren't special. He stuck around based on his ability to read the play, mental stability to limit bad goals, and a willingness to battle as hard as any goalie in the league.

The strengths that fueled his NHL career are exactly the types of things I want to instill into goalies at an organizational level.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am absolutely thrilled about this.

Very few goalies in the world carved out the quality/length of career he had without having noticeably more raw athletic ability. He spent 15 years in the NHL, earned Vezina votes twice, split a Jennings once, earned Hart votes once, and started over 500 games when you include playoff totals. That's a truly awesome NHL career and he accomplished it because he is an absolute battler.

He's not tall (by the standards of the position in his era), he wasn't a particularly good skater, and his reflexes weren't special. He stuck around based on his ability to read the play, mental stability to limit bad goals, and a willingness to battle as hard as any goalie in the league.

The strengths that fueled his NHL career are exactly the types of things I want to instill into goalies at an organizational level.
I would add that this was apparently Steen's doing, so that is even more encouraging as a sign of how he sees things.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I would add that this was apparently Steen's doing, so that is even more encouraging as a sign of how he sees things.
lol seriously? It’s almost like Steen and Elliott were teammates and really good friends, and that’s a big reason for how this came about. Not hard to put that together.

And I’m not criticizing the move, but this doesn’t really give us any glimpse into “how Steen sees things” moving forward. I’m sure you will overhype every decision he makes though since that’s all you do with the current GM as well.

• Haha
Reactions: STLegend

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
lol seriously? It’s almost like Steen and Elliott were teammates and really good friends, and that’s a big reason for how this came about. Not hard to put that together.

And I’m not criticizing the move, but this doesn’t really give us any glimpse into “how Steen sees things” moving forward. I’m sure you will overhype every decision he makes though since that’s all you do with the current GM as well.

True true but he was friends and teammates with many other guys as well and he happened to choose one that based his career on work ethic and fundamentals. Kind of how Steen himself made a career for himself. I hope he keeps making choices like this.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Brian Elliott is one of my all time favorite Blues and whenever I tap my phone from sleep mode there he is in warmups taking a shot from Steve Ott as Reaves also barrels in. I am so happy he he is back in the org. And what Armstrong has done compromising with reality I applaud him for. The org does need new vision, fire, competitiveness after a generation and it's good to groom Steen.

you can tell me, I'm a doctor

Reactions: Stealth JD

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I'm glad to see Elliot back in the organization. I always love watching calm goalies like Ells perform. Very level headed and fundamentally sound. That goes a long way towards a goaltenders longevity in this league. I see a lot of that in Joel Hofer too which is why I'm so excited by his trajectory. Throw in the fact that he's huge and you have a great recipe for a strong keeper for the next decade.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Just a few years ago we have a big, physical team, Berube as coach and win the cup. Not look at us. A p***y team that has no direction. How fast things can change in sports.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
How fast things can change in sports.
We just came out of a 15 year competitive window a couple years back that resulted in a Cup win. Even If it takes 4-5 years to put a strong team back together and and we make another extended run, i take that 100 times out of a 100. Some franchises wait 15 years for a 5 year window. This roster will have a ton of turnover the next 2-3 years, judging the team in its current state is pointless, unless you are looking for disappointment, as we all know its not a playoff team. Give management a few years to right the ship, and the youth movement will start changing this team dramatically.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I saw a report over the weekend that there's an expectation of more "Orlov" deals, short term, but higher AAV. I'd be curious if this is something we'd be interested in doing or if it's something that players would only do for a contender or near contender.

Reactions: Brian39

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I saw a report over the weekend that there's an expectation of more "Orlov" deals, short term, but higher AAV. I'd be curious if this is something we'd be interested in doing or if it's something that players would only do for a contender or near contender.

We could always offer to flip the player if we aren't in contention. Sign a 1 year deal at 120% market AAV, retain 50% and send to a contender at the deadline for 60% of market.

We get good players to insulate our youngsters for 2/3 the season and some futures from trade. Player gets more $ and a shot at the cup on a contender. Contending team gets a discounted player at the end of the year when its easier to fit them. Win-win-win.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Down Goes Brown has been banging the drum for a few years that there should be way more players trying to get short term deals instead of long term deals.

You have Utah who looks primed to actually become a player in UFA with loads of short term cap space. Chicago, Anaheim, and San Jose all have to spend another $10M or so to reach the floor without any substantial RFA extensions to give out. All have an incentive to draw some actual veteran talent to support key young players but likely won't want to commit real term.

Every report is that HRR has increased enough to support multiple years of cap growth now that the escrow debt is paid off. Barring a massive surprise, the cap is going to be $92M+ for 2025/26, but then the CBA expires and all bets are off about what the future holds. The NHLPA has a new leader who appears pretty strong. Could the players get a better deal next time? Will there be a work stoppage in 2026/27? Unless you can get an all-bonus structure for 2026/27, I'm not sure how eager guys should be to include that year if the PA wants to gear up for a big fight.

I do see a lot of reasons for guys to strive for inflated AAVs on 2 year deals this summer if they can't get the grand-slam mega contract right off the bat.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We just came out of a 15 year competitive window a couple years back that resulted in a Cup win. Even If it takes 4-5 years to put a strong team back together and and we make another extended run, i take that 100 times out of a 100. Some franchises wait 15 years for a 5 year window. This roster will have a ton of turnover the next 2-3 years, judging the team in its current state is pointless, unless you are looking for disappointment, as we all know its not a playoff team. Give management a few years to right the ship, and the youth movement will start changing this team dramatically.

I hear ya, I just can’t believe how quick it fell a part. Maybe Covid played a big part too. Hopefully we are back on the right track after a few good drafts.

Reactions: The Electrician

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad