Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

horner

May 22, 2007
Barkey is so small and likely ends up feasting in the AHL for his career.

But yeah, I dont get why people put so much stock into what randoms think the better player will be. In the end it doesnt matter, and doesnt effect the Leafs. what effects the Leafs is how well Cowan is progressing and looks, and this year I don't think anyone can complain with what he did.
Barkey will play in the NHL 3 yrs

horner

May 22, 2007
Yeah, expecting him to be our new Marner is silliness. People were stroking themselves off to Robertson at 18 and he’s still struggling to establish himself at 22. Cowan ending up somewhere between Connor Brown and Brandon Hagel is a much more likely scenario.
He's not marner and won't have the points of Mitch but come the playoffs he will be better than marner in the long run

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Cowan might be a decent Marner replacement. Obviously you can never replace Marner, but for the extra 11 million in saving you can get Pesce and Tanev. Cowan+Pesce+Tanev could make the same amount as Marner.

What do you mean? You can replace Marner for Zack Hyman money or less have a better PO team.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
How are you going to find a better player then a 100 point winger for 5.5 million?

We can improve the team trading marner but it’s going to be by adding multiple players.
Bertuzzi literally out scored Marner this playoffs for 5.5. That’s how trash Marner played.

No one cares about 100 points, we care about winning playoff rounds.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Bertuzzi literally out scored Marner this playoffs for 5.5. That’s how trash Marner played.

No one cares about 100 points, we care about winning playoff rounds.
Bertuzzi + 5.5 m in cap space vs Marner is an interesting argument but if it’s solely Marner vs Bertuzzi I will go with Marner. I would need to know how the additional cap is being spent. Although Marner has been disappointing in the playoffs, he is not easy to replace. I think we disagree on this part.

Reactions: TMLife17

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t see how you can send Cowan down to juniors next year unless he comes to camp extremely out of shape and really drops the ball. He’s accomplished almost everything you can in the OHL at this point. Really sucks there’s no exceptions for players like this to be able to play in the AHL.

With that said, I do think he is ready for the big show but we really need to ease up the expectations. Comparing him to Marner or saying he’ll replace Marner is insane.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Over hyping again eh leaf fans. I was here when even myself was calling Schenn the next Scott Stevens. We need to dial it down about 80%. Just enjoy a top tier prospect for who is on his own. Dont compare him to a two way 90+ point superstar. Marners time here is over but don’t think for a second that it’ll be easy for Cowen to fill
in Marners skates. It’ll take a couple years to even get a sniff of shared ice with Matthews. He’s likely destined to skate along side a Reaves or possibly a Maroon if Berube gets his way on that. Just like Marners rookie season with Matt Martin. I’m guessing our new coach appreciates mentorship and protection for rookies.

Reactions: Kazparov and Peasy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Could Easton Cowan as OHL MVP follow a path similar to past winners?

Red Tilson Trophy (Most Outstanding Player)

The Red Tilson Award is the most prestigious award presented by the Ontario Hockey League, going each year to the player that is voted the most outstanding during the regular season by OHL writers and broadcasters.

1717166820231.png

1717166980443.png

1717166919180.png

1717166862072.png

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Over hyping again eh leaf fans. I was here when even myself was calling Schenn the next Scott Stevens. We need to dial it down about 80%. Just enjoy a top tier prospect for who is on his own. Dont compare him to a two way 90+ point superstar. Marners time here is over but don’t think for a second that it’ll be easy for Cowen to fill
in Marners skates. It’ll take a couple years to even get a sniff of shared ice with Matthews. He’s likely destined to skate along side a Reaves or possibly a Maroon if Berube gets his way on that. Just like Marners rookie season with Matt Martin. I’m guessing our new coach appreciates mentorship and protection for rookies.

I don't think he is being over rated. Most people think he will be a middle 6 player who plays with some snot and grit.

Anyone saying he is a Marner replacement doesn't think he is actually as good as Marner, they are being cheeky by saying they take Cowan and his lesser production on an ELC instead of Marner at 11M+ in the playoffs

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Bertuzzi + 5.5 m in cap space vs Marner is an interesting argument but if it’s solely Marner vs Bertuzzi I will go with Marner. I would need to know how the additional cap is being spent. Although Marner has been disappointing in the playoffs, he is not easy to replace. I think we disagree on this part.
No for sure I’m just saying how lacklustre that playoffs was for Marner. Not saying I want 2 Bertuzzis over a Marner but in the playoffs ya I do that every day.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Could Easton Cowan as OHL MVP follow a path similar to past winners?

Red Tilson Trophy (Most Outstanding Player)

The Red Tilson Award is the most prestigious award presented by the Ontario Hockey League, going each year to the player that is voted the most outstanding during the regular season by OHL writers and broadcasters.

View attachment 877860

View attachment 877863

View attachment 877862

View attachment 877861

Going from 30 points one season to 124 the next is pretty wild.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Totally agree. I've watched every Knights game in the Memorial Cup and the kid does everything...PP, PK, score, set up goals, brings the puck up ice on PP, out there defensively in the final minute, is tenacious....so much to love about his game. His playmaking is extremely good and he has a very hard shot. When compared to Marner, some similarities but also quite a few differences. Most importantly, he seems to be a big game player, whereas Marner wilts. Hopefully, Easton continues this solid foundation in the NHL. He needs to continue to work on his skating (which is quite good for junior) and bulk up a bit.
Let’s not forget that Marner was a playoff beast in junior too. 69pts in 34 games and a Memorial Cup MVP.
Apples to apples, eh?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
To be fair, Marner was a big game player in junior too. 44 pts in 18 playoff games and 14 pts in 4 games in his memorial cup run.

My guess is that Cowan has the build and character to play big boy hockey in NHL playoffs though.
Oops, you beat me to it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Totally agree. I've watched every Knights game in the Memorial Cup and the kid does everything...PP, PK, score, set up goals, brings the puck up ice on PP, out there defensively in the final minute, is tenacious....so much to love about his game. His playmaking is extremely good and he has a very hard shot. When compared to Marner, some similarities but also quite a few differences. Most importantly, he seems to be a big game player, whereas Marner wilts. Hopefully, Easton continues this solid foundation in the NHL. He needs to continue to work on his skating (which is quite good for junior) and bulk up a bit.
A lot of times they put on 10 to 20 lbs naturally over the summer. If the Leafs dont call and say bulk up, you have a shot next camp, they are derelict.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Sure - but what are these weights based on? You're telling me he's already bigger than Marner and Wyatt Johnston (who are both older and taller)?

If so, he's NHL ready today but everyone keeps saying he has to put on weight - including in the London Knights broadcasts - which wouldn't make sense if he was genuinely already 185. There's lots of NHL players who are bigger and not even 185 yet.

Lots of NHL players aren’t even 185 and they look bigger than him, but I’m sure it’s possible. That would mean Marchand, Point, Kucherov, Marner, Gallagher are all smaller than 18 year old Cowan.
His shoe size as reported in camp last year was 13 which his body will most likely follow.

No way of knowing but I'd be surprised if he didn't top out at 6'2" and around 220. The kid is a bull he can already skate through people when he needs to.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Man, I’ve seen this type of comment a lot but his skating is what stood out to me the most watching him in the prospects tournament last summer and the pre-season with the leafs. Then watching him in the playoffs he would fly from one end of the ice to the other with ease.

What are people looking for? Him to skate like McDavid, Makar, and Mackinnon?
Most scouting reports that I've seen note skating as one of his strengths, and that his straight line speed is above average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad