Pre-Game Talk: 2022 World Junior Hockey Championship

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They never wanted the tournament to continue once they saw how few people wanted to attend. IIHF and OEG needed any excuse to cancel it.

This, as with anything else, is all about the money.

Not according to Gord Miller. Hockey Canada and the Oilers cheaped out on a bubble and then saw attendance drop to 10% to 15% of capacity. They didn't want this to continue because they are funding it.

A friend of a friend situation. Feel free to ignore. But I heard as soon as alberta policy dictated reduced attendance and no food or beverages everyone involved was desperate to shut the tournament down. I actually heard it supposed to happen boxing day. Way too much money lost.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Well that’s too bad, but what is the IIHF supposed to do, allow a tournament to continue where 4 players have tested positive? That’s crazy talk.

Now excuse me while I go to my men’s league game where I have been tested exactly 0 times and no one wears masks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A friend of a friend situation. Feel free to ignore. But I heard as soon as alberta policy dictated reduced attendance and no food or beverages everyone involved was desperate to shut the tournament down. I actually heard it supposed to happen boxing day. Way too much money lost.

Way to put $ over sport when most of these kids basically play for free. f***ing shameful.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

Guess who was responsible for organizing all of this? HINT: Hockey Canada and the Oilers.

OK, I just gave the answer away lol. But if I've learned anything, when Bob Nicholson is attached to organize something... It's probably going to be a shit show lol.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I haven’t paid too much attention but is there an Alberta hospitalization curve that anyone has? Anyone know the impact of this new variant - ie hospital cases inclining rapidly as well ?

Reactions: oilers'72

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Heading to Twitter for the aftermath carnage.

Eo6dxK3VtJcvrmNz8

BVidWKQqeLvMwwP36

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Guess who was responsible for organizing all of this? HINT: Hockey Canada and the Oilers.

OK, I just gave the answer away lol. But if I've learned anything, when Bob Nicholson is attached to organize something... It's probably going to be a shit show lol.

Bobby burgers could pull a Bill Cosby and Katz would still have him under contract. Maybe if Katz stopped overpaying a useless hack like Bobby, he could've afforded to keep the WJC's going.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't want to know what life will be like in 20 years, let alone by then. Quality of life is going to take a massive shit IMO.

A lot of futurists and experts on conflict predict we either will nuke ourselves into oblivion or humankind will have some sort of epiphany that hypersonic nuclear tipped weapons and the proliferation of nuclear weapons globally are a bad thing and will be banned.

All by 2050.

Most believe we will nuke ourselves into oblivion.

Also don’t buy oceanfront property in Miami unless you know how to swim.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I haven’t paid too much attention but is there an Alberta hospitalization curve that anyone has? Anyone know the impact of this new variant - ie hospital cases inclining rapidly as well ?

Cases are down almost by half to over 300 in the last while. ICU cases have gone from 69 to 50. This was in yesterdays provincial Covid update. But cases are rising exponentially most people being asymptomatic or extremely mild symptoms.

Seems like the vaccines work…..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A lot of futurists and experts on conflict predict we either will nuke ourselves into oblivion or humankind will have some sort of epiphany that hypersonic nuclear tipped weapons and the proliferation of nuclear weapons globally are a bad thing and will be banned.

All by 2050.

Most believe we will nuke ourselves into oblivion.

Also don’t buy oceanfront property in Miami unless you know how to swim.

Well if they nuke everything do it in a blaze of glory and be done with it. Turn the world back over to the roaches as they are of better character than the assholes that run this shit show now any way. Maybe they can go into debt trying to find non roach shit to eat and then find a form of warfare to rid the world of them as well.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not according to Gord Miller. Hockey Canada and the Oilers cheaped out on a bubble and then saw attendance drop to 10% to 15% of capacity. They didn't want this to continue because they are funding it.

Let me be clearer. The OEG has not been mentioned in any report for shutting down the tournament. Certainly they were involved in planning but protocols and the decision to shut down is 100% IIHF from what I have read.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Its really too early to tell, as it is a lagging indicator. Hospitalizations going up in Quebec, and they are always a month or so ahead of us, so who knows. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Would not surprise me. Just haven’t seen anything reported on this. I got a survey asking about why I cancelled my Loge tix for every game. Looks like they are laying the groundwork for a lawsuit or something, perhaps against the Alberta government.

Reactions: Aerchon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Its really too early to tell, as it is a lagging indicator. Hospitalizations going up in Quebec, and they are always a month or so ahead of us, so who knows. Hoping for the best.

Vaxxed people will still be impacted but oh well they made their choice. Time to move on. Like @Bryanbryoil said it’s something vaxxed and unvaxxed ppl can agree on for once.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thank the media and government for reporting cases over hospitalizations and ICU numbers driving up fear in people.

It's scare tactics. Media driven fear which has been going for almost 2 years now. A big reason why I cut the news out of my life for the most part since this whole thing started.

The whole point of the restrictions in the first place was to relieve the strain on the healthcare system so what's the point of restrictions if hospitalizations are fairly low. I get that it's a preventive measure just in case they do fill up but if they do their research on places that got hit first like South Africa and the U.K., they'll see that hospitalizations didn't significantly rise despite an explosion of cases in places that are far more densely populated.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well if they nuke everything do it in a blaze of glory and be done with it. Turn the world back over to the roaches as they are of better character than the assholes that run this shit show now any way. Maybe they can go into debt trying to find non roach shit to eat and then find a form of warfare to rid the world of them as well.

The shit eating cockroaches that run things now will nuke and kill us all, thus passing things over to the real cockroaches who will evolve in 250 million years into walking upright, intelligent and opposable thumbs. Then they will create nuclear weapons and kill all the real cockroaches too. Its A vicious circle…:nod:

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Let me be clearer. The OEG has not been mentioned in any report for shutting down the tournament. Certainly they were involved in planning but protocols and the decision to shut down is 100% IIHF from what I have read.

Sure, but the IIHF has shut down other tournaments in January because nobody wants to fund them. It's not much of a reach to make the same conclusion here.

OEG might not have shut this one down but their decisions leading up to it certainly caused it to be shut down. And not having to fund it going forward is a bonus for OEG.

So, you're right nobody has "reported" that OEG has shut this down, but they're certainly part of the reason in my opinion.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sure, but the IIHF has shut down other tournaments in January because nobody wants to fund them. It's not much of a reach to make the same conclusion here.

OEG might not have shut this one down but their decisions leading up to it certainly caused it to be shut down. And not having to fund it going forward is a bonus for OEG.

So, you're right nobody has "reported" that OEG has shut this down, but they're certainly part of the reason in my opinion.

I agree it’s very possible and I certainly don’t discount it.

My beef is more with the ridiculous protocols the IIHF was using that led to this (testing and test result protocols) and the forfeiture of games over a single player getting “Covid”.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad