Pre-Game Talk: 2022 World Junior Hockey Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
They never wanted the tournament to continue once they saw how few people wanted to attend. IIHF and OEG needed any excuse to cancel it.

This, as with anything else, is all about the money.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What a complete joke. I have two friends hit with this variant and they said they are totally fine. That is the point of a FUC**ING VACCINE. MY GOD!!!! I guess life will just never get back to normal. The common cold is making people more sick than this new variant and yet still cancelling sports lmao. What a joke.

I’m sure there are lots that disagree with me here and will flame me. Go ahead. I won’t respond. So damn sick of “Covid”

Precisely and the crazy thing about this particular cancellation which was due to "health protection and minimizing risk" is that these kids are now going to be playing in different leagues playing the same game without being locked in a hotel like they were here so doesn't that present the same if not more risk?

These kids are going to be socializing and generally hanging around crowds away from the rink because they are human and don't want to be locked in their basement until Covid goes away. Doesn't that prevent risk?

At what point are we just going to let people manage their risk by their choice, especially those who made the sacrifice for the greater good by getting double and now triple vaxxed, and stop using shutdowns as the constant solution. When does it end? Covid ain't going anywhere. We're all taking on some level of risk by merely leaving our homes. Lets us, especially those who get vaxxed, live.
Just like you, I'm sick of this shit already. I understand some level of caution but it's almost gone to fear for the sake of fear level and it's becoming ridiculous.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I could possibly see it if entire teams had it, but I think you do what you can to get through the tourney, without wasting these kid's trip across the ocean. I hate to see what happens if we get hit by something worse like alien life discovered within the population.

Queue picture of D Eakins coaching.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
NHL will power through even if it means Canadian teams playing in empty buildings, every player, coach and official getting it, unbalanced schedules, and a shortened season.

It's been told a lot of times omicron is nothing like the original variant. Today even the Finnish health authorities (who always are late in these) said omicron is thought to be 40-60% less dangerous than delta. Yes there's vaccines but even without them the mortality rate for people under 50 has been 0.0% for over 10 mutations including delta (source Public Health England, the official stats in England). That's why it's hard to see why the situation is now that serious.

What a shame it came to this. It looks like they didn't think this would be a pretty likely case without a bubble? I'd say there was at least a 50% chance there'd be several cases. I feel especially sorry for Edmonton as it's an ideal place for the tournament (enthusiastic fans, experience with these things, amazing arena) and then things are organized like this. IIHF is in charge and it's their responsibility to do things well.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Precisely and the crazy thing about this particular cancellation which was due to "health protection and minimizing risk" is that these kids are now going to be playing in different leagues playing the same game without being locked in a hotel like they were here so doesn't that present the same if not more risk?

These kids are going to be socializing and generally hanging around crowds away from the rink because they are human and don't want to be locked in their basement until Covid goes away. Doesn't that prevent risk?

At what point are we just going to let people manage their risk by their choice, especially those who made the sacrifice for the greater good by getting double and now triple vaxxed, and stop using shutdowns as the constant solution. When does it end? Covid ain't going anywhere. We're all taking on some level of risk by merely leaving our homes. Lets us, especially those who get vaxxed, live.
Just like you, I'm sick of this shit already. I understand some level of caution but it's almost gone to fear for the sake of fear level and it's becoming ridiculous.

Thank the media and government for reporting cases over hospitalizations and ICU numbers driving up fear in people.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They never wanted the tournament to continue once they saw how few people wanted to attend. IIHF and OEG needed any excuse to cancel it.

This, as with anything else, is all about the money.

OEG hasn’t been mentioned in a single report. This is all IIHF who had ridiculous protocols in place. OEG should sue the shit out of the IIHF.

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
Time to break out an olde-timey meme format:

BHxSaVj.jpg

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
OEG hasn’t been mentioned in a single report. This is all IIHF who had ridiculous protocols in place. OEG should sue the shit out of the IIHF.

Not according to Gord Miller. Hockey Canada and the Oilers cheaped out on a bubble and then saw attendance drop to 10% to 15% of capacity. They didn't want this to continue because they are funding it.

Reactions: Aerchon

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Thank the media and government for reporting cases over hospitalizations and ICU numbers driving up fear in people.

Exactly. Who gives a s*** about cases if they're almost always mild. This not the original covid right now and at some point it has to be admitted.

Anyway, the main thing I feel pissed about is they simply had to see this coming without playing in a bubble. Until today Finns were told there indeed is a bubble, this is what the GM of team Finland said today when asked "why has the bubble leaked this time":

I can shed the light a bit and tell that today the organizators have changed the discussion so that we aren't in a bubble, but we are in a "special environment" instead. So we can't know which ones of the hotel or arena staff are tested. The difference between last and this year is that now there's also other people living in this hotel besides the teams.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Totally agree. We can't shut down society forever. But that's kind of the plan I'm thinking. NHL will not be far behind.

This is why I'm soured on caring too much about the NHL season right now.

We won't see an outright cancellation but how long until we see a complete schedule facelift and the reintroduction of the Canadian division which will then turn this season into another farce? It seems inevitable that this is a road they'll have to head down if they want to complete the season then lord knows what happens in the playoffs if the restrictions are still in place. Then we'll hear more shit about flat cap being extended because of lowered revenue. More asterisk BS to follow in almost an exclusively vaxxed league mind you.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I could possibly see it if entire teams had it, but I think you do what you can to get through the tourney, without wasting these kid's trip across the ocean. I hate to see what happens if we get hit by something worse like alien life discovered within the population.

Queue picture of D Eakins coaching.

There is an ice sheet the size of Florida about to dump into the ocean, allowing the worlds largest glacier to flow into the ocean rising sea levels by 10 feet within 15 years. That might be worse.

Reactions: Faelko

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Well said. I completely agree. Like I said I know two people that have/had this variant and they said they were 5 times more sick with the common cold

I guess then we should start shutting leagues downs if players get a cold as well….. like when does it end???? The 25th wave will have people have a slightly itchy ass and leagues will be cancelled.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sooner or later this shit has to stop. It was always about mitigation. We finally have a strain that is supposedly milder than its predecessors and we still run from it like it's the plague. Let it run and let's get on with all of our f***ing lives.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is why I'm soured on caring too much about the NHL season right now.

We won't see an outright cancellation but how long until we see a complete schedule facelift and the reintroduction of the Canadian division which will then turn this season into another farce? It seems inevitable that this is a road they'll have to head down if they want to complete the season then lord knows what happens in the playoffs if the restrictions are still in place. Then we'll hear more shit about flat cap being extended because of lowered revenue. More asterisk BS to follow in almost an exclusively vaxxed league mind you.

Yeah I’m down the road about but giving much of a f*** about the season anymore as well. It’s going to have another asterisk like the first two. Tampa will win again and we will all have to hear how Tampa is one of the best teams in history for the rest of our lives thanks to their Covid induced wins while circumventing the cap.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sooner or later this shit has to stop. It was always about mitigation. We finally have a strain that is supposedly milder than its predecessors and we still run from it like it's the plague. Let it run and let's get on with all of our f***ing lives.

Hear hear. Government overreach has gone too far. We’ve made the necessary sacrifices. The variant is not lethal or even dangerous in the vast majority of vaccinated people. Time to let ‘er rip.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hear hear. Government overreach has gone too far. We’ve made the necessary sacrifices. The variant is not lethal or even dangerous in the vast majority of vaccinated people. Time to let ‘er rip.

Exactly. Even the unvaccinated would probably like to see it rip so that they can stop hearing about having to be vaccinated. Something that the vaccinated and unvaccinated can agree on, let's get rid of this shit once and for all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad