Speculation: 2022 Off-Season | Dethroned: What next? - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
You say these deals will be good in 5 years as the cap rises? What about the the 4 years under those contracts up to that point? It's not going to be pretty, especially when the Seabrook LTIR is gone in two years.

That's not how LTIR works. Sheesh.

Separately, true cap hell is exactly one year -- next year. Then all of Stammer's money comes off and we decide whether to put it toward him again, and if so how much, and if not how to redeploy it to secondary talent.

It's unlikely we'll be as good as we were recently any time again soon, but the way JBB played it won us two cups and nearly a third (just two regulation goals away), which is nearly impossible to beat. So even as those moves make us worse next year and medium term, they were absolutely worth it.

Could you explain what part I have wrong on LTIR? My understanding is with Seabrook being on LTIR, we're allowed to exceed the NHL salary cap. Once his contract is gone in 2 years, we will no longer have that cap extension - making these Cirelli and Serge contracts even more constraining on our future options at that time.

Yes, Stamkos' contract will be gone then, but it's not addition by subtraction. We'll ideally need to replace him with a scoring line worthy player from the farm (it's not stocked and no one is looking on that level yet) or via free agency or resign him, in which case we'll potentially replace one big contract with another and be in the same constrained position I was talking about.

Yes, JB has done a great job thus far, but these Cirelli and Serge contracts jumped the gun and if the players don't play up to them, they'll be moves JB made that hurt our chances of winning cups for potentially eight years in future.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Could you explain what part I have wrong on LTIR? My understanding is with Seabrook being on LTIR, we're allowed to exceed the NHL salary cap. Once his contract is gone in 2 years, we will no longer have that cap extension - making these Cirelli and Serge contracts even more constraining on our future options at that time.

Yes, Stamkos' contract will be gone then, but it's not addition by subtraction. We'll ideally need to replace him with a scoring line worthy player from the farm (it's not stocked and no one is looking on that level yet) or via free agency or resign him, in which case we'll potentially replace one big contract with another and be in the same constrained position I was talking about.

Yes, JB has done a great job thus far, but these Cirelli and Serge contracts jumped the gun and if the players don't play up to them, they'll be moves JB made that hurt our chances of winning cups for potentially eight years in future.
LTIR doesn’t add cap space. It’s pretty much a net zero. Our active cap space is the same as the league’s but unlike the rest of the league we don’t accrue cap space through the year. Seabrook’s contract is kind of detrimental since we don’t get cap space to spend during the TDL.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

Seabrook's contract counts against our cap. The amount we are allowed to exceed the cap only equals (at most) the amount of cap space his contract is already taking up.

In 2 years, we will have neither his cap hit nor the equivalent relief. (That situation will be marginally better for us for subtle reasons related to daily cap space accrual that I don't feel like going into.)

Separately, we're not going out and replacing Stamkos with an $8.5m free agent. We might lose him, in which case the full $8.5m to spend on secondary talent will fill a lot of holes, if deployed correctly. Would suck to not have Stammer, he's an all-time great Bolt, but we also know he's not critical to winning a Cup. We might get him back at a discount, but I'm not holding me breath.

I don't disagree on the Serg contract -- I would've waited to see what he does this season before going that high. But my point still stands. The real cap hell is one year: 2023-24; we'll have options after that.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Another solid signing with Miftakhov leaving. was a 3rd round pick 6 years ago and his distant cousin is none other than Brian Bradley

Reactions: Maelmoor

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, unless Myers has improved greatly, that's a big yikes having him in the top 4. Hopefully, once Bogo gets back he can pair with either Hedman or Serg. Hedman-Bogo worked fine in parts of the '20 season and in the playoffs that year. Let Myers and Foote then rotate at 3RD with Cole at 3LD, unless Perbix stands out in camp/preseason.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Yeah, unless Myers has improved greatly, that's a big yikes having him in the top 4. Hopefully, once Bogo gets back he can pair with either Hedman or Serg. Hedman-Bogo worked fine in parts of the '20 season and in the playoffs that year. Let Myers and Foote then rotate at 3RD with Cole at 3LD, unless Perbix stands out in camp/preseason.
Yeah, I just get the feeling that JBB/coaching staff is high on him due to his size and athleticism.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I think it is the beginning of where Brisebois is exposed as bringing Yzerman’s team to the promised land. Julien knows how to keep the boat afloat, but can he build a boat himself, despie his self-sufficient attitude of the guy who is the “best” GM in the league…… and I’m from Québec, so I would tend to take for the French guy.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'd like to see each play a full season with their new team but I'll say this, I don't miss Joseph at all. He never had the impact in games Paul has had for us already. Joseph is the real life Luis Mendoza from the mighty ducks. I hope he thrives in Ottawa and congrats on the contract but it's tough to feel any sense of loss given their AAV and what they bring in play style.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'd like to see each play a full season with their new team but I'll say this, I don't miss Joseph at all. He never had the impact in games Paul has had for us already. Joseph is the real life Luis Mendoza from the mighty ducks. I hope he thrives in Ottawa and congrats on the contract but it's tough to feel any sense of loss given their AAV and what they bring in play style.
At least Louis put it in when he needed to against team iceland..

Reactions: Stammertime91

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Looks like
Certainly looks like we got the better end of this deal, but I still miss Joseph.

Would rather have him than Names' (we could find somewhere to pull the extra $0.45m from, if this were really an option). He gave Ottawa 4 goals/8 assists in 11 games -- and he was due, after being snakebit here last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad