2022 NFL/NCAA U.S. Football Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You do wonder what the narrative around the Falcons and people like Quinn, Matt Ryan and even Kyle Shanahan are if it wasn't for 28-3. That final eighteen minutes of the Super Bowl would have changed all of their careers. It's almost more amazing they were even up 28-3 on the Pats at that point in a Super Bowl than it is that they blew it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Georgia seemingly played its toughest game to open the season and they walloped Oregon. I think the coaches will have to convince thr players to try in some of the upcoming games. If they don’t go on auto pilot they have a good chance to make it to the SEC title game.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I want to follow football but I am starting from scratch essentially . Last time I watched games was when players like L Tomlinson was a stud …….. Ya that’s embarrassing to admit …
I know like a handful of players and those guys even my 10 year old nephew knows .
I don’t even know where to start.
When I did watch I was a Ravens fan . No clue how they are now . I heard they are pretty shitty . I need to start all over trying to follow. I don’t even know what teams are in what divisions etc .
Baseball I’m a little better knowing what’s what but still miles away from what I know about hockey . NBA …. Don’t really care about at all .

My3Sons

Sponsor
I want to follow football but I am starting from scratch essentially . Last time I watched games was when players like L Tomlinson was a stud …….. Ya that’s embarrassing to admit …
I know like a handful of players and those guys even my 10 year old nephew knows .
When I did watch I was a Ravens fan . No clue how they are now . I heard they are pretty shitty . I need to start all over trying to follow. I don’t even know what teams are in what divisions etc .
Baseball I’m a little better knowing what’s what but still miles away from what I know about hockey . NBA …. Don’t really care about at all .
If you want to watch the NFL just watch the games that Tony Romo broadcasts. He is probably the best of thr current TV analysts to explain it currently. The most exciting team to watch is probably KC because of Mahomes. The Rams and Niners are both well coached as are the Patriots but they might be rebuilding. The current offensive thinking is lots of misdirection running plays and lots of pick plays on short yardage routes. Just avoid the Jets and the Giants so your eyes don’t rot out of your head.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why were you a Ravens fan prior and why wouldn’t you be one now?

But i think if you want to get back in get behind a team and build out your knowledge from there.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
The Ravens had one of the most injury-filled seasons I’ve ever seen in the NFL. That year also knocked Lamar Jackson down as one of the league’s new generation of QBs. I’m not sure exactly what caused it, but he seems not as good as Mahomes or Josh Allen.

Honestly, don’t get too hung up on missing football. It’s gotten so boring and so slow in recent times.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Ravens had one of the most injury-filled seasons I’ve ever seen in the NFL. That year also knocked Lamar Jackson down as one of the league’s new generation of QBs. I’m not sure exactly what caused it, but he seems not as good as Mahomes or Josh Allen.

Honestly, don’t get too hung up on missing football. It’s gotten so boring and so slow in recent times.

uh what?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Old man Ed Reed and the Goose as well. The Giants can speak for their dominance.
Payton Manning always had nothing but praise for Ed Reed which is about as good as it gets if you’ve ever listened to Payton talk about most other football players. He’s really quite snarky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrik26

My3Sons

Sponsor
Kyle shannahan is one of the most over rated head football coaches in recent memory
I dislike the Niners and find his approach miserable to watch but he does a good job with what the rules allow. Constant misdirection and pick plays. He has a mediocre to poor QB and has gotten decent results. It’s not like McShay got the Rams over the hump with Goff. As an aside I’d take pick plays out of the game entirely.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I dislike the Niners and find his approach miserable to watch but he does a good job with what the rules allow. Constant misdirection and pick plays. He has a mediocre to poor QB and has gotten decent results. It’s not like McShay got the Rams over the hump with Goff. As an aside I’d take pick plays out of the game entirely.
if i told you that out of the 15 years that shannahan has been an offensive coordinator his offenses have only ranked inside the top 10 in points 3 times, would you believe me? or that his offenses have ranked inside of the top 15 5 times only

My3Sons

Sponsor
if i told you that out of the 15 years that shannahan has been an offensive coordinator his offenses have only ranked inside the top 10 in points 3 times, would you believe me? or that his offenses have ranked inside of the top 15 5 times only
You’d have to show me his QBs top RBs and top WRs over that span. There is only so much you can do with a Garrapolo at QB. Look at the first seven games for NO last season. They were 5-2 but Jameis Winston was only throwing about 20 passes a game. Without Brees they weren’t as prolific even with the best offensive coach of thr modern era.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
You’d have to show me his QBs top RBs and top WRs over that span. There is only so much you can do with a Garrapolo at QB. Look at the first seven games for NO last season. They were 5-2 but Jameis Winston was only throwing about 20 passes a game. Without Brees they weren’t as prolific even with the best offensive coach of thr modern era.
Very important point here. He’s been able to get so much more out of that offense than anyone had any right doing. Yes, Deebo Samuel is a unicorn, Trent Williams is a first ballot HoF, but the ways Shanahan has gotten creative are ingenious.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Very important point here. He’s been able to get so much more out of that offense than anyone had any right doing. Yes, Deebo Samuel is a unicorn, Trent Williams is a first ballot HoF, but the ways Shanahan has gotten creative are ingenious.
In my view, a lot of it is common sense. Misdirection running and pick passing plays work for every team that runs them. I'm surprised every single snap outside of fourth and one or third and one don't feature misdirection and pick routes. I find it painful to watch on some level. I really think the pick play should be taken out of the NFL game. I see it as a form of pass interference. It amounts to blocking the defensive back even if it is disguised.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
In my view, a lot of it is common sense. Misdirection running and pick passing plays work for every team that runs them. I'm surprised every single snap outside of fourth and one or third and one don't feature misdirection and pick routes. I find it painful to watch on some level. I really think the pick play should be taken out of the NFL game. I see it as a form of pass interference. It amounts to blocking the defensive back even if it is disguised.
It’s 100% pass interference, and the game is so pass heavy now that offenses don’t need another advantage in the passing game. But yes, misdirection and motion pre-snap is widely used, it’s just a matter of execution (as with most other things lol).

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
It’s 100% pass interference, and the game is so pass heavy now that offenses don’t need another advantage in the passing game. But yes, misdirection and motion pre-snap is widely used, it’s just a matter of execution (as with most other things lol).
The whole thing requires the players to get to the line with at least 10-11 seconds on the play clock, preferably more. New Orleans routinely got to the line with about 7-8 seconds left on the clock because Payton would be reading from a play call sheet that had three volumes one for each down and of course Brees had to decide if he wanted to change things in the huddle. As good as Brees was, having to rush his reads and adjustments resulted in bad plays as often as not. My guess is that Shanahan has a simpler playbook but probably drillls the basics much more. With Garrapolo you need to have the RBs and WRs be more on the ball than with a Brady or Brees level QB. Garrapolo may be the worst starting QB I have ever seen with even the slightest bit of pressure.

Reactions: Clam Jensen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad