World Cup: 2022 FIFA World Cup

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Aren’t they far and away the class of Asian qualifying too? Haven’t looked at the qualifiers, but it’s like a different sport.
Could be that the current events has affected the team’s mentality and morale over all. I dunno. Just throwing a theory out there. Who knows what’s on their mind and with their families back home.

Reactions: luiginb

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm just starting the Italy match.... I'm lost... how is it 4 degree's (c or f) in qatar in an open stadium? I check the weather maps and the entire country is 70-80f

wat am I missing?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Aren’t they far and away the class of Asian qualifying too? Haven’t looked at the qualifiers, but it’s like a different sport.
I don't know if I'd say that necessarily. I think they were about on par with the other teams that qualified in Asia.

This does have echoes of Germany - Saudi Arabia 2002.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
How on earth did we end up with 10 minutes of added time for the 2nd half? I don't recall any major disruptions. FIFA are such jokesters with this shit.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How on earth did we end up with 10 minutes of added time for the 2nd half? I don't recall any major disruptions. FIFA are such jokesters with this shit.

The american commentators mentioned that FIFA told the refs to give a ton of stoppage time at this tourney. They're apparently very worried about only having 45-50 minutes of action with the extra subs and players showing up banged up.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

You didn't see the game then, because a player from Iran, the goalkeeper, was injured for 10 minutes before being substituted.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Wouldn't that have been added on at the end of the first half, rather than the second?

It was. There were 14 minutes of added time in the 1st half. There was close to a full match plus ET in this game in spite of there not much going on other than that one injury treatment pause.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It's dumb. A yellow card isn't that big of a deal for someone like Kane and him getting a yellow card for it would be the story of the tournament. Just change who wears the armband each match so you don't have to deal with suspensions.
Agreed!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There were 8 goals and even more subs :dunno:
The rule of thumb has always been 30 seconds for a goal and a sub. There were 7 subs and 5 goals in the 2nd half (and the 5th one was scored when they were in like the 10th minute of added time so it obviously didn't go into the calculation). If my math isn't off there should have been 5 minutes 30 seconds of added time in the 2nd half.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The rule of thumb has always been 30 seconds for a goal and a sub. There were 7 subs and 5 goals in the 2nd half (and the 5th one was scored when they were in like the 10th minute of added time so it obviously didn't go into the calculation). If my math isn't off there should have been 5 minutes 30 seconds of added time in the 2nd half.

And the Var on the penalty kick!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And the Var on the penalty kick!
That took place 10 minutes or more into added time. Even if none of that had happened, we'd have had 10 minutes of added time in spite of the fact that other than a few goals not much happened. It's even silly to add 30 seconds for each of England's 5 subs since they all occurred at the same time, and didn't take much time off the clock at all.

One of football's charms is that games take 90 minutes and aren't the kind of monstrosities that North American sports games have become due to TV commercials. FIFA's approach to added time in this tournament is likely going to be one of the biggest stories of the whole tournament, because we know it will happen in a K.O. match as well, and whoever is on the losing end of a goal scored in like the 100th minute will be absolutely furious. If that's England, oh boy, will there be recriminations.

member 305909

It is true that the group-stage of the euros is much better quality football than the group-stage of the world cup.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad