Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Boy oh boy that is disappointing for Sweden. But really cool that Germany can win in cross country.

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
I'm surprised what a terrible olympics this is for Canada, but maybe they have their golds lined up for the final days.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm surprised what a terrible olympics this is for Canada, but maybe they have their golds lined up for the final days.
I think you are seeing the pipeline of athletes born out of the 2010 Olympics and the funding that came with it exit and likely the funding and focus on the sports drying up to a degree. I don't think there are all that many more medals out there to really make up any kind of gap at this point either.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
538 got Canada four medals behind expected so far.

So many events Canada are basically not competing in. For one of the more populous “winter nations” that is just so odd to me.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

There are basically 1 for-sure medal for Women's Hockey...
1 serious contender in speed skating mass-pursuit...
And then 2 to 3 of maybes in curling and ski-cross.
Anything else would be unexpected.

I would dampen hope for a better result.
Canada should break the 20 overall medals threshold...
But I would not expect that much more than that.
I will be happy with 23 overall medals.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
538 got Canada four medals behind expected so far.

So many events Canada are basically not competing in. For one of the more populous “winter nations” that is just so odd to me.

Some medal favourites faltered.
Kingsbury basically dominated monguls since Sochi...
So many were surprised he had to settle for silver.
I also expected better results from the free-style ski events...
But since they depend on judges' discretion and weather condition...
Those are always unpredictable.
There have been some pleasant results...
Like Weidemann...
Jack Crawford...
The ski-jump teams...
And Dupois...
But there have not been enough to cover the gap.

There is also a talent gap.
After Pyeongchang...
A lot of medalists retired...
Especially in Figure Skating...
And there is nobody next-in-line.
Then there is the whole Humphries situation...
Which basically drove a multi-medal favourite into the arms of another nation.
Finally...
People also do not realize just how young this team is.
That is why COC did not set a goal...
Because the people in charge knew it would be a mixed bag.

I think the investment is there...
But it will take time to build up the team again.
Hopefully the team will be more mature by 2026...
But barring injuries and other unexpected events...
Canada should have a very strong team by 2030.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Gold and Silver so far takes Canada to 20 overall medals.
I will stick with 23 as the final tally.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada is rebuilding in a lot of disciplines. Short track, ice dance, figure skating, womens moguls, etc. 20+ is actually a decent number for us.

Reactions: nameless1

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Yeah we're in line to win the least amount of gold medals since 1994 in Lillehammer. They're still racking up medals as they're top 3/4 I believe in total medals won but winning gold has been tough this time around especially after winning 14, 10, and 11 golds the last 3 times, respectively

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Also what happened to Canada in curling. I remember when I was a kid even during games where they weren't as good we'd always say, "ah well just wait for curling and they'll get gold" but now both sides are getting outmatched right now with the women threatening to miss the playoffs for b2b Olympics....

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Another gold! Skicross was fun to watch.

Probably the most expected after Nisse on 10000m. She has dominated the whole season. But sure you never know in skicross and with the dirty Smith in the final things can always go wrong.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What is so surprising to me with Canada is that there is basically nothing in cross-country, biathlon, alpine and also ski jumping (even with the bronze).

Combination of climate and population one would think Canada would cover a lot more disciplines reasonably well. Even if I get that most of the population lives close to the US border and do not necessarily have easy access to training facilities for outdoor winter sports. Even so Norway only got a population of 5m and I'm sure there are at least 5m Canadians with access to "good" winters.

I also get it is about culture, but you would still think you would get some random athletes that are good. Much in the same way smaller countries like Norway do in summer sports. We will never have any depth at anything, but there is always someone that are randomly good at something (right now running, golf and tennis - which are hardly "big" sports here).

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Yeah we're in line to win the least amount of gold medals since 1994 in Lillehammer. They're still racking up medals as they're top 3/4 I believe in total medals won but winning gold has been tough this time around especially after winning 14, 10, and 11 golds the last 3 times, respectively

Right now...
Canada is tied for 5th overall.

More gold would be nice...
But team Canada is in the middle of a rebuild.
Many of the past medalists retired...
And there are a lot of first time Olympians this time around.

There are also a lot of good results outside of the medals.
Jack Crawford finished top 6 in all 3 of his alpine races...
Which is probably the best result for Canada in a long time...
And he is only 24.
Scott Gow helped Canada to the best result in biathlon...
And he should still have at least one more Olympics in him.
Antoine Cyr and Graham Ritchie got 5th in the cross country ski team sprint...
And a lot of the freestyle skiers and boarders are very young.

Honestly...
This is not a bad Olympics.
The investment is definitely there...
So it is at least something to build off of.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Also what happened to Canada in curling. I remember when I was a kid even during games where they weren't as good we'd always say, "ah well just wait for curling and they'll get gold" but now both sides are getting outmatched right now with the women threatening to miss the playoffs for b2b Olympics....

Although Canada has always been very strong in curling, they've never been completely dominate though. If you look at the World Curling Championships results over the years, Canada has done the best overall but recently they've been challenged more by other nations which is a good thing. As much as I want Canada to win all the time, its nice to see other nations getting much better and Canada has to really work hard to win championships now.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
What is so surprising to me with Canada is that there is basically nothing in cross-country, biathlon, alpine and also ski jumping (even with the bronze).

Combination of climate and population one would think Canada would cover a lot more disciplines reasonably well. Even if I get that most of the population lives close to the US border and do not necessarily have easy access to training facilities for outdoor winter sports. Even so Norway only got a population of 5m and I'm sure there are at least 5m Canadians with access to "good" winters.

I also get it is about culture, but you would still think you would get some random athletes that are good. Much in the same way smaller countries like Norway do in summer sports. We will never have any depth at anything, but there is always someone that are randomly good at something (right now running, golf and tennis - which are hardly "big" sports here).

Those sports are just not that accessible here...
Because there are no investments...
And next to zero promotion.
I live in Vancouver...
And in my youth...
I have no idea how to get into those sports.
Honestly...
Even some of the better performed sports...
Like short track and long track speed skating...
Are the same.
Again...
I had no idea how to get into those...
But at least I know they are focused in Quebec...
Winnipeg...
And Calgary.
That is why the pipeline is always strong...
Even though it is very regional.
In Norway and other European countries...
There are sport teams for various disciplines...
In all parts of the country...
So they can always churn out some athletes.

It is similar to how football/ soccer was years ago.
Those with talent would rather play the "big" sports...
So the talent pool gets dwindle down.
Once MLS arrived...
And the clubs developed youth academies...
We have begin to see the talent level rise...
But it took years.

Big stars are also needed too.
In Cross Country Skiing...
The last great was Beckie Scott...
But that was over 20 years ago.
If there was investment during her heydays...
Cross Country skiing would probably be bigger.

That is what happens when we live in a place dominated by the four major sports league though.
Kids see them on screen everyday...
Hear about the big contracts...
And they want to emulate them.
It is what it is.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Although Canada has always been very strong in curling, they've never been completely dominate though. If you look at the World Curling Championships results over the years, Canada has done the best overall but recently they've been challenged more by other nations which is a good thing. As much as I want Canada to win all the time, its nice to see other nations getting much better and Canada has to really work hard to win championships now.

I think most countries just caught up.
I do not mean any disrespect...
But curling is not that hard...
So anyone can get into it.
That is why you see many teams at the Olympics have a foreign coach...
Many of whom are Canadian...
And they quickly become world class.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I think most countries just caught up.
I do not mean any disrespect...
But curling is not that hard...
So anyone can get into it.
That is why you see many teams at the Olympics have a foreign coach...
Many of whom are Canadian...
And they quickly become world class.

I think curling isn't very hard to learn and get into, but its definitely a sport that's hard to be great at and for a team to beat others consistently. So yeah you can learn how to play and do so decently, but to beat the best teams consistently and stay on top? That's where the best teams are seperated from the good/average ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad