Prospect Info: 2022 8OA, Marco Kasper

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Remember after Danielson was drafted and everyone agreed he was trending to be 2C, relegating Kasper's future to 3C? How we feeling about that now, fam?
My expectation for the two of them has always been Zetterberg/Datsyuk or Yzerman/Fedorov 2.0 combo. Great high scoring, two way centers that win the Wings championships. 😜

It's a nice problem to have, who knows, maybe by this time next year Danielson looks better than Kasper and they just continue to leap frog each other every offseason.

Reactions: jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well its up to the NHL team to have smaller roster if they want though.
But, yeah idk, think its good to have 6-7 matches to prepare for the new season as not playing full roster in all of them. Agree that it could be smaller rosters, but also some benefit of having more being given chances in training camp and getting a feel for how it is to be on the big team.
How are you gonna do that and play 2 games on the same day? Then 3 games B2B2B later in the same week? The schedule dictates the roster size, with most teams carry A & B teams.

Unlike the NFL, there's very little attendance. Just cut the number of games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
My expectation for the two of them has always been Zetterberg/Datsyuk or Yzerman/Fedorov 2.0 combo. Great high scoring, two way centers that win the Wings championships. 😜

It's a nice problem to have, who knows, maybe by this time next year Danielson looks better than Kasper and they just continue to leap frog each other every offseason.
So when they truly contend, down the middle it'll be:

Danielson
Kasper
Larkin

And Dylan will LITERALLY be Helm with hands. :laugh:

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Remember after Danielson was drafted and everyone agreed he was trending to be 2C, relegating Kasper's future to 3C? How we feeling about that now, fam?

95yzgj.jpg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are you asking people if they want to change their mind because of 4 pre season games?

I’m confused.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Are you asking people if they want to change their mind because of 4 pre season games?

I’m confused.
Yeah, basically, though I know no one will, so it’s mostly just for fun. I’ve always found the Kasper-Danielson discussion on this forum to be rather odd. Fickle in its origin. I don’t really expect people to flip flop now, because despite being kinda fickle, that Danielson > Kasper narrative has been around for a year. A long time to further cement the idea.

While I always felt Danielson has a higher floor, their respective projections/upsides have always been rather even to me, and I’ve never seen Danielson as clearly a better prospect. I’ve flip flopped them in my own rankings several times. Either could break out, pull ahead of the other, and it wouldn’t surprise me.

Yeah, basically, though I know no one will, so it’s mostly just for fun. I’ve always found the Kasper-Danielson discussion on this forum to be rather odd. Fickle in its origin. I don’t really expect people to flip flop now, because despite being kinda fickle, that Danielson > Kasper narrative has been around for a year. A long time to further cement the idea.

While I always felt Danielson has a higher floor, their respective projections/upsides have always been rather even to me, and I’ve never seen Danielson as clearly a better prospect. I’ve flip flopped them in my own rankings several times. Either could break out, pull ahead of the other, and it wouldn’t surprise me.
Respectfully disagree. I like Kasper a ton, but i think when it is all said and done the only category in which he'll trump Danny boy is physicality and effectiveness on the forecheck. Nate to me has the edge in speed (big edge), sniping, playmaking, puck skills, puck transportation as well as defensive prowess. Kasper's best seasons IMO will be 25/30 whereas I can totally see Danielson inching towards PPG seasons. But we'll see.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Respectfully disagree. I like Kasper a ton, but i think when it is all said and done the only category in which he'll trump Danny boy is physicality and effectiveness on the forecheck. Nate to me has the edge in speed (big edge), sniping, playmaking, puck skills, puck transportation as well as defensive prowess. Kasper's best seasons IMO will be 25/30 whereas I can totally see Danielson inching towards PPG seasons. But we'll see.

To each their own but after seeing Kasper with a full off-season I'm not sure how anyone could think Danielson has a big edge in speed. Is he a faster skater? Sure, maybe. But Kasper can also absolutely fly out there. I also don't know how you can watch Kasper play and give a massive edge in puck transportation either. Kasper has been really good in the minors with zone entries and this preseason he was flying with the puck.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs
To each their own but after seeing Kasper with a full off-season I'm not sure how anyone could think Danielson has a big edge in speed. Is he a faster skater? Sure, maybe. But Kasper can also absolutely fly out there. I also don't know how you can watch Kasper play and give a massive edge in puck transportation either. Kasper has been really good in the minors with zone entries and this preseason he was flying with the puck.
1. He just is a faster skater, his acceleration especially is better. Not saying Kasper's a snail.
2. Never said that the edge was massive, but advantage Danielson. I think this is the result of better puck skills combined with superior speed.

And apparently we agree on sniping, playmaking, puck skills and defensive prowess.

BTW: I think physicality and forechecking in the top6 are invalueable and we do not have it. So I love Kasper's toolbox.

Last edited:

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
All of these scenarios really come down to injuries. As soon as we get an injury in the top 9 Kasper will be called up. And if that happens i predict Marco's play will make it impossible for the wings to send him back down.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
1. He just is a faster skater, his acceleration especially is better. Not saying Kasper's a snail.
2. Never said that the edge was massive, but advantage Danielson. I think this is the result of better puck skills combined with superior speed.

And apparently we agree on sniping, playmaking, puck skills and defensive prowess.

BTW: I think physicality and forechecking in the top6 are invalueable and we do not have it. So I love Kasper's toolbox.
I think some analysis gets skewed because while Danielson has played against kids in juniors the past 4 years, Marco has been playing pro hockey against men. They are very different style players, and yes Danielson has the slight edge in skating and maybe some pure offensive talent, but the gaps are smaller than many think. Kasper is excellent with the puck and is an above average skater himself.

Along with physical play and forechecking, his other advantages are board battles, driving the net, and net-front play. Around the net, Kasper will likely have Danielson beat in shooting and puck play. But again, they are very different players, so pointing out who is better at what is nearly pointless in trying to compare who will be the better player. Ultimately, only time will tell, I just wish ya'll would stop underrating Marco :naughty:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Kasper is going to be a significant part of the Wings in 24-25. Executives, Yzerman above most, value flexibility. This lets them keep all the young players they want without having to expose any they don't care to lose for free to waivers.

Marco Kasper is gonna be the first forward called up and if he's anything like you think, he won't be going back down.

If Marco Kasper isn't pissed about it, why are you?

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad