Prospect Info: 2022 8OA, Marco Kasper

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
This is pure garbage. Teams can exceed the salary cap by 10% during the offseason. The roster submitted before the first game is what needs to be cap compliant. They can sign Watson to a 2 way and send him down tomorrow without having to send Kasper down.

If you believe in clickbait Twitter posts, I've got some pills for sale that will make your penis longer.
I believe the opening day rosters for all teams is due by 5pm eastern October 7 with the regular season starting (in NA) on Oct 8, all teams will be required to meet maximum 23 roster players and be cap compliant by this date.

I don’t think it would be fair for some later teams to be able to be 10% over if they start a few days later than other teams.

There will be some paper games played, just to juice it up, the rumor out there is Watson’s contract will be a 2-way…

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I believe the opening day rosters for all teams is due by 5pm eastern October 7 with the regular season starting (in NA) on Oct 8, all teams will be required to meet maximum 23 roster players and be cap compliant by this date.

I don’t think it would be fair for some later teams to be able to be 10% over if they start a few days later than other teams.

There will be some paper games played, just to juice it up, the rumor out there is Watson’s contract will be a 2-way…

The point stays the same, there was no need to play any sort of paper games. They could easily have signed Watson last week if they wanted, especially a 2 way.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Did Kasper force his way onto the roster? Not exactly IMO He left enough to be desired with his finishing and creativity that I can see him benefiting from some time in GR...

But at the same time, I'd argue most of our forwards forced their way OFF the roster. Here's to another year running a suboptimal roster because we're incapable of watching our vets play terribly and saying "wow, that guy's as bad as he's looked for years." I totally understand why there's some over the top frustration with this. You'd think missing the playoffs because we refused to play Edvinsson would have taught us something.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
i think it's extremely obvious that holl was signed in order to leave as little cap space as possible for seider and raymond, thereby ensuring that we have both young stars locked up at bargain contracts for the prime of their careers

4d

ALL HAIL THE WISE AND POWERFUL STEVE YZERMAN. BOW AND TREMBLE AT THE FEET OF OUR MESSIAH. VENGEANCE SHALL BE SWIFT AND JUST FOR THOSE WHO QUESTION HIS OMNISCIENCE
Extremely obvious for sure lol.

This is pure garbage. Teams can exceed the salary cap by 10% during the offseason. The roster submitted before the first game is what needs to be cap compliant. They can sign Watson to a 2 way and send him down tomorrow without having to send Kasper down.

If you believe in clickbait Twitter posts, I've got some pills for sale that will make your penis longer.
Are they playoff pills?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did Kasper force his way onto the roster? Not exactly IMO He left enough to be desired with his finishing and creativity that I can see him benefiting from some time in GR...

But at the same time, I'd argue most of our forwards forced their way OFF the roster.

Like Who?

DeBrincat, Larkin and Raymond?

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
This turned into the truth, and preliminary roster. Still more cuts to come and, possibly, trades that bring one of them back to Detroit.

Would love to see the payback for the Walman move be the Sharks pick up Holl so the Wings aren't cap hit.
In the name of all that is holy, please lose that avatar. I have to scroll down at hyperspeed every time I have the misfortune to see it.

• Haha
Reactions: heyfolks

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
doubt it. yzerjesus is too all-knowing to allow that to happen. the walman trade was a 5d move that shall bestow many blessings upon his faithful at an unknown date in the future

NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP, I PRAY THEE YZERGOD MY SOUL TO KEEP

IF I SHOULD DIE BEFORE I WAKE, I PRAY THEE YZERGOD MY MINT #19 ROOKIE CARDS TO TAKE

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I feel like the whole paper move speculation thing is thrown around every time there's a move people don't like but I can't recall it ever really actually panning out

could just be confirmation bias on my part though
Not convinced it's purely a paper move, but Veleno was sent down a few years back and still ended up playing nearly 70 games. I don't love Kasper not being in day 1, but I also wouldn't love just dumping Veleno/Berggren for nothing like some are suggesting.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not convinced it's purely a paper move, but Veleno was sent down a few years back and still ended up playing nearly 70 games. I don't love Kasper not being in day 1, but I also wouldn't love just dumping Veleno/Berggren for nothing like some are suggesting.

Yeah, this is one of prime example. People should learn not to freak out of these season-starting decisions.

The meaning of "making the roster" or "not making on the roster" is maybe the biggest overblown and misunderstood thing at NHL hockey world.

It takes one game, and some will tweak a groin and Kasper is on the roster.

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
In the name of all that is holy, please lose that avatar. I have to scroll down at hyperspeed every time I have the misfortune to see it.
hah2.jpg

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, this is one of prime example. People should learn not to freak out of these season-starting decisions.

The meaning of "making the roster" or "not making on the roster" is maybe the biggest overblown and misunderstood thing at hockey world.

It takes one game, and some will tweak a groin and Kasper is on the roster.
I agree that the roster decision can be easily fixed, but I don’t think people are mad because they think having Kasper start in GR is doing unfixable damage, they’re mad because it’s a sign of how badly this roster has been managed. We’re how many years into a rebuild, overflowing with NHL ready prospects and have somehow managed the roster so poorly that we can’t give a player a roster spot even when he’s clearly been the best player in camp? It’s not like he’s in the AHL because we have a championship level team he can’t crack, he’s out because this team is riddled with bad contracts we can’t move and half a dozen forwards that fill the same 4th line role. It’s the exact same situation as last year that saw Edvinsson start in GR, not because he wasn’t ready, but because we inexplicably signed a bunch of washed bottom pairing defencemen to bad contracts that blocked him. The only shot this team has a success is if multiple of Kasper, Danielson, MBN, Mazur, Lombardi, ASP, Cossa, Augustine turn into stars but it really doesn’t look like we’re in a position to give them the shot they deserve to take the next step.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
The point stays the same, there was no need to play any sort of paper games. They could easily have signed Watson last week if they wanted, especially a 2 way.
I don't disagree completely, they could have signed him a week ago and sent him down with the collection from yesterday, but that is a contract slot that I am sure SY wanted to hold on to until things settle.

The wings today sit at 47/50 contracts, if I am SY (I am not) I would wait for all the other team's waivers to be posted before filling the last spot with a PTO (one should always try to keep at least 2 open contract slots for emergencies and trades, ie they needed to sign Hutch last year).

This said, I expect the paper game is Watson gets a 2-way deal and sent to GR on paper, leaving an open slot on the roster to accrue cap space to the TDL and for waiver exempt call up fill ins.

I don't really see an open top 6 spot for Marco today (don't want a Copp out of him), so GR may be better for ice time and working on the finishing aspect and to be the first forward call up, but never say never, injuries can occur at practice, especially early in the season.

The wings had a somewhat incredible year for injuries last year, can't see it being replicated this year.

SY does seem to make space for kids that force his hand, he just has a different criteria than most of the fanbase. (I suspect JV will be traded by TDL, maybe sooner if a team needs a center)

If they keep an open spot on the roster for most of the season, we will see multiple different kids get some cups of coffee (5-20 games), similar to what was done in Tamps Bay with some filling the open spots from UFA expiring contracts next season. The kids are pushing, that is what he wants to see, now set them up to succeed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I agree that the roster decision can be easily fixed, but I don’t think people are mad because they think having Kasper start in GR is doing unfixable damage, they’re mad because it’s a sign of how badly this roster has been managed. We’re how many years into a rebuild, overflowing with NHL ready prospects and have somehow managed the roster so poorly that we can’t give a player a roster spot even when he’s clearly been the best player in camp? It’s not like he’s in the AHL because we have a championship level team he can’t crack, he’s out because this team is riddled with bad contracts we can’t move and half a dozen forwards that fill the same 4th line role. It’s the exact same situation as last year that saw Edvinsson start in GR, not because he wasn’t ready, but because we inexplicably signed a bunch of washed bottom pairing defencemen to bad contracts that blocked him. The only shot this team has a success is if multiple of Kasper, Danielson, MBN, Mazur, Lombardi, ASP, Cossa, Augustine turn into stars but it really doesn’t look like we’re in a position to give them the shot they deserve to take the next step.

Yzerman has opened a slot for Edvinsson, moving Walman away.

Yzerman waived Holl, instead of Johansson as signal of future.

Yzerman did make a spot for Berggren too (letting Sprong walk), who as well shined as Kasper at pre-season.

When clearly some moves are going toward the youth and one aren't, why should anyone think that everything is shit and the sky is gonna fall.

Just being ipatient, when you have to be patient, and reacting mostly meaningless technical roster moves, is just just....

...fans not being patient. Management is operating like many other teams are. You have to protect some assets you keep up, and ELC kids are sent down at first. Because other ways you could lose the player you waive, if you keep the kid up. And what happens when injuries will hit, when the depth player was already lost in waivers and there's no kid to promote up, because the kid is already up?

Last edited:

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
If everyone here’s criteria is that our prospects need to play top 6 when they first arrive, then you’re going to be very dissapointed literally your whole time as a fan. None of these guys should be breaking in through the top 6. Larkin, debrincat, compher, Kane, Raymond and tarasenko. Who would you even bump for a prospect? The point is, expecting someone like kasper or Danielson to take a top 6 spot from any of those guys is extremely unrealistic. I have no clue how that’s the baseline for some of you for if they deserve to be on the roster. They are totally fine being integrated through the 3rd or 4th lines imo. And if they play good they can be brought up the line up through time, but immediately demanding top 6 or AHL is mind boggling, because it simply is never going to happen.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Yzerman's the one bringing these bums ... its funny last season I said bring in motte and Watson as depth guys to the kids develop an extra season

He delays bringing them a year and delays the kids. I cant see how future ncaa kids refuse to sign here. Even top 10 picks get they're nhl starts at 21.

Everyone else 23-24 despite some being ready
You did?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This reminds me of people trying to convince themselves there was going to be some meaningful “future considerations” in the Walman trade that made it all make sense. The truth is, this is probably just a bad decision from management and there isn’t anymore to it than that. There is no reason why Kasper needed to be waived today other than the fact that he will start the season in GR. People are right to criticize the decision because it’s bad, the same way they are right to criticize the Walman trade or the Chiarot/Holl/Petry/Copp signings. At this point there is a pattern of head scratching unforced errors made by this front office that are so obviously bad from the moment they were made that fans and media need to grasp at fabricated hypotheticals to try and make sense of them.
As someone who hated the Walman trade... nah.

Kasper looked good in the pre season. He was pretty meh in the AHL last year. You go with the big sample size over the small one that includes meaningless games. It's not like this is a Nyquist situation where he was dominant in the AHL and kept off the team for Cleary and Samuelsson.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
That doesn't matter, he earned an opening night spot. Whether he got more than 8-9 games who knows, but he absolutely earned to stay on the roster g1.

Berggren and Veleno won't amount to much in comparison to him. So trade one of them first chance for fair compensation.

Maybe they want a Nyquist explosion outta him for 20-30 games since it appears his knee is fully recovered/rehabbed in the Ahl, but bottom line is he earned his spot.

that doesn't matter to YOU, but it does the Wings and every organization in the NHL. Wings fans have seen how poor drafting and prospect development has worked against building a winning roster.

I do not disagree with a trade, but does the value of Berggren and/or Veleno go up or down if the team announces Kasper is up and one or both must go? < Unless you thing it doesn't matter, it is a rhetorical question. :)

He may be back before opening day, or in the first quarter, or not at all. I am open minded to all of them.

BRIGHT SIDE RCC: This guy wasn't on the map for a roster spot going into training camp. Some were already putting negative labels on him. Knee recovery, 100%. Off season development, 100%. Understanding what he must do to play in the NHL, 100%. This guy came out of camp with the highest marks of any player (yes even ND). I am freaking jacked up about him (and the top 4 group (Mazur, MBN and ND).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad