2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This is why y'all misunderstand Torts. Think how he's dealt with TK, a player designed to drive a dino into extinction. But TK works hard, plays hard, and makes things happen, so Torts makes funny faces and gives him plenty of ice time.

@deadhead -- How is TK a player designed to drive a dino into extinction? He's physical, tenacious, spirited. The only coach who didn't take a liking to him was Hakstol, with his uptight emotional vacuity. To most of us, TK is coach's catnip. Despite certain contrarians praying that Konecny would go into Tort's doghouse, I think most of us figured he'd like him (and dislike Hayes). And yes, 100 point paces help.

I don't think Torts is as simple as some portray him. We have examples like Werenski and Konecny. I also don't think he's terribly consistent with his actions and messaging when it comes to favorites and non-favorites.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I can't even imagine why anyone would dislike TK.

He's skilled, he can snipe, he can pass, he's fast, he's tough, he's a menace on the ice, he's likable off the ice.

I’ll keep it real, I thought our fanbase overrated him and I thought the chirps were cringe.

I was wrong. Proved me wrong so bad. Love watching him play.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

Miller Lite? From 2 Hextall picks? Man, if I was a maven of craft beer, I would be losing my damn mind.

Anyone else get these?

Screenshot_20221227-215005_Chrome.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
@deadhead -- How is TK a player designed to drive a dino into extinction? He's physical, tenacious, spirited. The only coach who didn't take a liking to him was Hakstol, with his uptight emotional vacuity. To most of us, TK is coach's catnip. Despite certain contrarians praying that Konecny would go into Tort's doghouse, I think most of us figured he'd like him (and dislike Hayes). And yes, 100 point paces help.

I don't think Torts is as simple as some portray him. We have examples like Werenski and Konecny. I also don't think he's terribly consistent with his actions and messaging when it comes to favorites and non-favorites.
When people were doubting whether he'd get along with Torts, I said Torts would love him.

But TK is an adventure, a bit like TDA, but less erratic.

He makes some head scratching plays, but he plays hard, has a high motor, is fiesty, has gotten much better on defense than his early years - he's gonna drive you crazy, then make you fall in love all over again.

I think Torts is trying to coach TDA up to be a defensive version of TK, you're gonna make mistakes playing aggressive, just make fewer mistakes than you make good plays. Take chances, but use some judgment and don't be sloppy with the puck.

I also think Torts is very consistent, he only demands a few things:
1) be responsible off the puck, you're gonna make mistakes, but skate as hard on the back check as you did when you sniffed a point
2) play hard all shift, if you're too tired to skate hard, head to the bench, if you can't play hard consistently, get in better condition
3) attack, attack, attack, Torts must be a Patton fan, always forward, north-south, don't get cute
4) wake up, use common sense, like when he got on Allison for sloppy horizontal passes, make mistakes of aggression, not careless mistakes where you're just being sloppy or lazy or asleep at the wheel

This is why I think a lot of young players thrive under him, he doesn't have them overthink the game, he wants them to use those young legs to make things happen. The players who get in his dog house tend to be ones with low motors, bad conditioning, lazy on defense or ignore repeated criticism from coaches.

Reactions: tucson83

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I can't even imagine why anyone would dislike TK.

He's skilled, he can snipe, he can pass, he's fast, he's tough, he's a menace on the ice, he's likable off the ice.
He’s a shooter. This franchise should adore him.

Here me out, this collective hive mind is probably due for a night out on the town…

When people were doubting whether he'd get along with Torts, I said Torts would love him.

But TK is an adventure, a bit like TDA, but less erratic.

He makes some head scratching plays, but he plays hard, has a high motor, is fiesty, has gotten much better on defense than his early years - he's gonna drive you crazy, then make you fall in love all over again.

I think Torts is trying to coach TDA up to be a defensive version of TK, you're gonna make mistakes playing aggressive, just make fewer mistakes than you make good plays. Take chances, but use some judgment and don't be sloppy with the puck.

I also think Torts is very consistent, he only demands a few things:
1) be responsible off the puck, you're gonna make mistakes, but skate as hard on the back check as you did when you sniffed a point
2) play hard all shift, if you're too tired to skate hard, head to the bench, if you can't play hard consistently, get in better condition
3) attack, attack, attack, Torts must be a Patton fan, always forward, north-south, don't get cute
4) wake up, use common sense, like when he got on Allison for sloppy horizontal passes, make mistakes of aggression, not careless mistakes where you're just being sloppy or lazy or asleep at the wheel

This is why I think a lot of young players thrive under him, he doesn't have them overthink the game, he wants them to use those young legs to make things happen. The players who get in his dog house tend to be ones with low motors, bad conditioning, lazy on defense or ignore repeated criticism from coaches.
How is it that you consistently bring up our most annoying and worst players and bring down our best?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He’s a shooter. This franchise should adore him.

Here me out, this collective hive mind is probably due for a night out on the town…

How is it that you consistently bring up our most annoying and worst players and bring down our best?
Who am I bringing down? TK is what he is, makes a lot of plays and more than his share of mistakes.

TDA is not one of our worst players, he may be our most frustrating player, he's also our most talented D-man.
He has all the skills to be elite, but really needs to learn how to play under control.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Who am I bringing down? TK is what he is, makes a lot of plays and more than his share of mistakes.

TDA is not one of our worst players, he may be our most frustrating player, he's also our most talented D-man.
He has all the skills to be elite, but really needs to learn how to play under control.
For this shit stain of a franchise, TK is the single skater playing well above and beyond what he was expected AND what he’s paid for.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It's pretty funny that we're only 2 points behind the current Stanley Cup champions.

If Colorado or Edmonton or New Jersey win the lottery this year I'll stop following hockey.

I just ran the lottery simulator about a dozen times. The Flyers either stayed put at 8th or dropped to 9th.

Mock draft has us taking Dvorsky at 8th.

And Bedard to Columbus.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're not getting Bedard. Never would happen.

We can end up with a nice haul off JVR (at least a 2nd if he keeps scoring), Hayes (a package with $2+M retained), and Provorov.
We should also get a 2nd (#51 or so) for JOB, probably 2024.

Question will be whether Couts and Atkinson return at 100%. Atkinson probably, nine months to recover from shoulder surgery, and the season off to let the rest of his body heal could result in a rebound season. Couts? We'll see in April how well he's recovered from his second surgery. They would replace Hayes and JVR, and the cap hit would be neutral (no LTIR issues, however).

Brink is already back with 2 goals in 2 games.
Desnoyers, Lycksell, Foerster, Attard, Zamula, Ginning will be in the running for jobs in TC next fall.
Gauthier?? Depends on how he finishes this season.
Andrae, I see him starting the season in LHV, but pushing for a promotion by spring.

My biggest fear, they finish strong, Fletcher is still here, and decides to trade a bunch of assets for a veteran RHD b/c "they're close to being a playoff team." Same old, same old.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
From Spector's Hockey...

ESTIMATING PROVOROV’S TRADE VALUE

THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER: Giana Han examined the pros and cons of the Flyers trading Ivan Provorov. The 25-year-old defenseman has recently become the subject of rumors suggesting it might be best for all concerned if he was traded to a playoff contender.

Han believes potential buyers would want to determine how much of Provorov’s struggles stem from himself or his current environment. With an annual average value of $6.75 million through 2024-25, he wouldn’t be a rental player. Given his age, he could still have some upside for contenders as a top-four blueliner.

NHL Network analyst Brian Lawton believes the Flyers shouldn’t trade Provorov for anything less than a first-round pick. He also thinks two other pieces should be included in the return. Han points out the Flyers aren’t under pressure to move Provorov by the March 3 trade deadline. However, they should be willing to listen to offers given their need to accumulate assets for the future.

THE SCORE: Josh Wegman lists the Los Angeles Kings, Edmonton Oilers, Detroit Red Wings, Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres as five clubs that should try to acquire Provorov. He believes the Flyers defenseman would make a good consolation prize for teams that fail to acquire Jakob Chychrun. Provorov could also be more affordable to acquire than the Arizona Coyotes blueliner.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Time is on the Flyers’ side here. They can afford to wait for the offseason if they don’t get any suitable offers for Provorov before the trade deadline.

Provorov has heard the recent trade talk but insists he wants to remain with the Flyers. He lacks a no-trade clause so he won’t have any say in the matter if GM Chuck Fletcher (or his replacement?) decides to peddle him.

His contract offers interested teams cost certainty for the next two seasons. However, his cap hit could prove difficult to move this season given the high number of cap-strapped teams.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We're not getting Bedard. Never would happen.

We can end up with a nice haul off JVR (at least a 2nd if he keeps scoring), Hayes (a package with $2+M retained), and Provorov.
We should also get a 2nd (#51 or so) for JOB, probably 2024.

Question will be whether Couts and Atkinson return at 100%. Atkinson probably, nine months to recover from shoulder surgery, and the season off to let the rest of his body heal could result in a rebound season. Couts? We'll see in April how well he's recovered from his second surgery. They would replace Hayes and JVR, and the cap hit would be neutral (no LTIR issues, however).

Brink is already back with 2 goals in 2 games.
Desnoyers, Lycksell, Foerster, Attard, Zamula, Ginning will be in the running for jobs in TC next fall.
Gauthier?? Depends on how he finishes this season.
Andrae, I see him starting the season in LHV, but pushing for a promotion by spring.

My biggest fear, they finish strong, Fletcher is still here, and decides to trade a bunch of assets for a veteran RHD b/c "they're close to being a playoff team." Same old, same old.

Trading all of JVR, Hayes, and Provorov is the exact kind of teardown you've preached against.

The last paragraph is probably already true. Unless there is another ten game losing streak, they're going to be desperate to hang their hat on the post-christmas run. They've done that stuff before. Is how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad