2022/23 Roster Thread XIX: 19th Nervous Breakdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
@Beef Invictus

What about all the teams who don't do that? You're cherrypicking. As always. And I know that if the Flyers suddenly reversed course and hurled players in as fast as possible, you'd abandon this reasoning immediately to defend the team.

Also, don't the pens tend to bring up their guys and stick them with Malkin or Crosby? That might be part of the reason they have success. Just spitballin'.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Frost is who he needs to keep an eye on :laugh:

Not his little pets, Cates and Tippett. The best one of the three is the one they’re unsure about.

f***ing dinosaur.

Yes, because those decisions need to be signed, sealed, and delivered THIS season. They’re not dirt cheap, under control, and minutes aren’t aplenty on what will be another shit roster next year. That’s not even getting into they’ve clearly shown well this year, especially Frost, who has progressed a lot. Tortorella has his favorites and double standards, nothing new.

But the reality is this rebuild will take so long, probably accidentally, that there might be zero players on this roster who are long term pieces the next time they make noise.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
@Beef Invictus

Also, don't the pens tend to bring up their guys and stick them with Malkin or Crosby? That might be part of the reason they have success. Just spitballin'.
Dumoulin?

Yes, they did that with Sheary, but they also had a bunch of bottom six guys contribute right away in their Cup years.

They even sent Guentzel to the AHL despite blowing away the NCAA. Of course, he only lasted half a year after total domination.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Dumoulin?

Yes, they did that with Sheary, but they also had a bunch of bottom six guys contribute right away in their Cup years.

They even sent Guentzel to the AHL despite blowing away the NCAA. Of course, he only lasted half a year after total domination.

Half a season of the AHL did not complete Guentzel. He'd have been fine stepping right in if he'd need to.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Just the other day it was applauded that these two were up with the big club as vindication that the revolving door was in fact operational.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

How about crying because Chuck's still happening? That feels like the right pairing of cause and effect to me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would keep Cates and Tippett over Frost right now. Though I'm happy to keep all three.

Cates has steadily improved in a tougher role, imagine moving from LW to center as a rookie and being assigned the toughest defensive matchup every night? And his offense has improved the longer he plays at center.

Tippett makes more things happen on a regular basis than Frost. He's a dynamic player who lacks the instincts to be a great player, but like TK can make things happen with his speed and is developing confidence in his shot.

Frost has improved with more PT, but it's obvious he's never going to be an elite offensive player. If he becomes more consistent he can grow into a 2C role - but he still makes too many mistakes and goes MIA for stretches. And he's a disappointment on the PP, he's just not a top playmaker on the perimeter like G.

Tippett has the most physical talent of the three, Cates is easily the smartest, Frost is between those two in both aspects. None is easily projected to a first line, but the three could be a solid 2nd line down the road.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would keep Cates and Tippett over Frost right now. Though I'm happy to keep all three.

Cates has steadily improved in a tougher role, imagine moving from LW to center as a rookie and being assigned the toughest defensive matchup every night? And his offense has improved the longer he plays at center.

Tippett makes more things happen on a regular basis than Frost. He's a dynamic player who lacks the instincts to be a great player, but like TK can make things happen with his speed and is developing confidence in his shot.

Frost has improved with more PT, but it's obvious he's never going to be an elite offensive player. If he becomes more consistent he can grow into a 2C role - but he still makes too many mistakes and goes MIA for stretches. And he's a disappointment on the PP, he's just not a top playmaker on the perimeter like G.

Tippett has the most physical talent of the three, Cates is easily the smartest, Frost is between those two in both aspects. None is easily projected to a first line, but the three could be a solid 2nd line down the road.
4.19.jpg

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I find myself having one of those days today...

Mad at Chuck for pretty much everything
Mad at Torts for his idiotic lineup decisions
Mad at Comcast for killing this teams identity
Mad at the NHL for letting the league suffer by catering to cheapo owners and crappy hockey markets

I'm sure I'll have more of these type of days moving fwd

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Not his little pets, Cates and Tippett. The best one of the three is the one they’re unsure about.

f***ing dinosaur.

You cannot makeup this complete stupidity overrun by the whole organization.

If you think Allison's health can't hold up that is a trainer's call not a torts call.

Frost so deserves a shot away from an idiot organization and look like he might get it. Provorov Sanheim Hayes and Farabee right now are saying LOOK AT ME! TRADE ME! PLEASE TRADE ME!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This is stupid.

If Tortorella suddenly made Frost a pet at the expense of the others you'd immediately change your mind too.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I can’t for the life of me comprehend how anyone could watch the Flyers this season & conclude that Morgan Frost has been superior to Owen Tippett.

Reactions: captainpaxil

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

f***ing dinosaur.

f*** sakes. What more do you want from Allison? He's gets 0 special teams play, meanwhile putting up respectable offensive numbers, and good transition numbers. The guy is doing what is asked of him and gets nothing...meanwhile Desnoyers gets PP time after 1 game.

In terms of Frost, after his first 20 games, he's shown to be a very good play facilitator. He's shown very good progress over the last~40 games. Last night he could have had a few points if Tippett hits the wide open net, and a few of his chances went it. He's playing very well right now, and you want to see if there is another gear there. He's been one of the best players in his age group, and injuries have derailed his development to an extent, so you want to see if he's capable of being a top-6 center. I'm not saying he's absolutely part of the team long term right now, but it's a safe bet to assume Frost has more to give. How much more remains to be seen.

Tippett has been very good this season. His athleticism is unreal, he's a very powerful skater and has a strong shot. But even going back to juniors, he's never been the most cerebral player. Those issues still pop up, he makes poor choices with the puck, bad shots, poor passes, etc. He does work his tail off, and that is important. To his credit, it seems like he's focused on being the best player he possibly can be, but I think we're seeing the best player Tippett can be right now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
f*** sakes. What more do you want from Allison? He's gets 0 special teams play, meanwhile putting up respectable offensive numbers, and good transition numbers. The guy is doing what is asked of him and gets nothing...meanwhile Desnoyers gets PP time after 1 game.
Guessing you're talking to the bozo who called Allison a plug when he was drafted. :laugh:

Didn't look much like a plug last night when he dragged the puck past two Rags and rang it off the post past a totally beaten Shesterkin.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison could be a very good player if he could stay on the ice for 70 games a year instead of 20.

But Torts is right, he's best when he plays north-south and uses his frame and aggressiveness - I hate big guys who want to play like small guys and negate the value of their size. Which is a problem I had with Jake, JVR and Hayes - all would have been better players if they use their bodies more - less about being physical than the advantage size and reach give you.

Big and strong is an attribute like speed, if you have it, use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad