2022/23 Roster Thread XI: Konecny, So Hot Right Now, Konecny

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

The two longtime Philadelphia Flyers athletic trainers who filed a lawsuit against team ownership in April after receiving similar medical diagnoses they allege came from unknowing exposure to cancer-causing carcinogens at the Flyers training facility, amended their complaint Tuesday to accuse Comcast Spectacor of intentionally punishing one of them, including through verbal abuse from head coach John Tortorella, according to court documents, obtained by Crossing Broad.

In the amended complaint, lawyers representing Jim McCrossin, 64, and Sal Raffa, 43, allege that since July, Comcast Spectacor, and co-defendant FPS Rink, have “directed, instructed, influenced and/or persuaded Philadelphia Flyers L.P. (which is the hockey operations arm of the team), to prevent and/or limit McCrossin’s access to players and/or role in the treatment of players.”

They further allege that in August, Comcast and FPS “directed, instructed, influenced and/or persuaded Philadelphia Flyers L.P. to remove McCrossin from his position as Head Athletic Trainer and to transition him to the position of Senior Advisor.” In addition, it alleges the move was made as “a punishment for his filing a lawsuit for redress in the courts for his cancerous condition caused by the very same defendants.

Furthermore, the complaint alleges that after removing McCrossin from his position, Comcast and FPS, “directed, instructed, influenced and/or persuaded Philadelphia Flyers L.P. to subject McCrossin to repeated, demeaning and berating conduct from the new head coach (Tortorella) and forced him out of his office on short notice, and/or… Comcast and FPS were aware of these actions.”

Finally, the complaint alleges that Comcast and FPS “directed, instructed, influenced and/or persuaded Philadelphia Flyers L.P. to provide McCrossin with a First Amendment to Employment Agreement that contained a ‘General Release of Claims’ seeking to entice and entrap McCrossin from pursuing legal redress in the courts.”

The general tenor of these allegations is that the actions by Comcast, FPS, and the Flyers were not only intentional, but retaliatory toward McCrossin because he filed a lawsuit against the company for negligence that resulted in his cancer diagnosis.

That’s an important nuance to note, as this was filed as a personal injury claim, and not an employment complaint, which Comcast would prefer, as it would send the case to arbitration instead of a potential jury trial. The cable giant filed an objection in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas stating as much on September 21.

email-1.jpg.webp

reworked-correct-email-2.jpg.webp

In McCrossin’s email, he references the allegation of Tortorella berating him for taking three players to their final doctor’s visit.

According to a source familiar with the interactions between Tortorella and McCrossin, the two met only twice, once during one of Tortorella’s first days as coach, in which he allegedly chewed out McCrossin for the way he treated players and told him he didn’t want McCrossin on his staff.

The second meeting between Tortorella and McCrossin however, was allegedly the one referenced in the email. With Raffa having a doctor’s appointment of his own, Fletcher allegedly asked McCrossin if he would accompany three players – Sean Couturier, Patrick Brown, and Joel Farabee, to a visit with the orthopedist. Upon return, Tortorella allegedly berated and belittled McCrossin again for being around the players after he had explicitly told him to stay away previously. According to the source, Tortorella was unaware that Fletcher had signed off on McCrossin’s participation with the players that day.

What a guy, Torts is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I gotta say that email from Fletcher seems very fair. Even if he wasn’t sick, I don’t know why McCrossin should expect to remain the head trainer here in perpetuity. It’s not like the Flyers were obviously better than average at staying healthy.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I gotta say that email from Fletcher seems very fair. Even if he wasn’t sick, I don’t know why McCrossin should expect to remain the head trainer here in perpetuity. It’s not like the Flyers were obviously better then average at staying healthy.
Agreed there. The hardass HC being a dick was more what caught my eye.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I gotta say that email from Fletcher seems very fair. Even if he wasn’t sick, I don’t know why McCrossin should expect to remain the head trainer here in perpetuity. It’s not like the Flyers were obviously better then average at staying healthy.
Given the incompetence of the training staff, the ONLY reason he has a job is the lawsuit, they didn't want to fire him and have it look like retaliation for the lawsuit. I mean we've asked for them all to be fired for what, two years? So they finally brought in a new group but kicked him "upstairs" instead of on the street.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm confused, one posts says we're fielding AHL players, the other said we shouldn't have trade for Tippett because he was blocking good prospects from playing, Which is it?

Think the problem right now is too many unknowns, Allison, Laczynski, Frost, Tippett,N Cates haven't done anything in the NHL yet, like play a full season and put up 30+ points at ES. Same with Zamula, Attard and York.

Provorov - TDA is an unknown.
At the same time, we're starting the season without Couts, Atkinson, Risto.

But a lot of this will work itself out as the season progresses.
Players will play themselves into or out of jobs.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah I'm in the camp of McCrossin and Tortorella both being in the wrong.

I guess after a career of mishandling injuries, McCrossin has absolutely no idea how to handle being held accountable for once. After Fletcher's post-mortem to Scott would be "Well, injuries undid us because we had to play a bunch of unproven youth" one would expect Scott to say "Well, let's make a change on that front."

I mean, the guy is 65. It's retirement time anyway. Becoming a Senior Advisor for the Flyers has to be about the best retirement gig there is. Don't shoot a gift horse in the head dude.

I don't think Tortorella was unleashed by Comcast on McCrossin either. That's crazy talk. I think Tortorella is just a f***ing asshole naturally.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Would it surprise anyone given the track record over the past several years that mccrossin had a poor reputation around the league for rushing players back? Torts doest strike me as the type to hold back if he thinks the game has passed someone by

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is what I mean by reading comprehension. I've never said anything of the sort.
All I said is you can't look at population and extrapolate that to the population of potential NHL caliber players.

It's a bit more complex than that, the league doubled in size, how much the pool of potential players increased is hard to determine, it certainly increased but did it double? triple? That would require some research to determine.

Speak of your own reading comprehension, because that's what this is about.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Yeah I'm in the camp of McCrossin and Tortorella both being in the wrong.

I guess after a career of mishandling injuries, McCrossin has absolutely no idea how to handle being held accountable for once. After Fletcher's post-mortem to Scott would be "Well, injuries undid us because we had to play a bunch of unproven youth" one would expect Scott to say "Well, let's make a change on that front."

I mean, the guy is 65. It's retirement time anyway. Becoming a Senior Advisor for the Flyers has to be about the best retirement gig there is. Don't shoot a gift horse in the head dude.

I don't think Tortorella was unleashed by Comcast on McCrossin either. That's crazy talk. I think Tortorella is just a f***ing asshole naturally.
Playing devils advocate for Torts, you’re new to this team and you’ve seen the level of incompetence of the medical staff. Would you want McCrossin anywhere near your players?

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
No, but you speak to him like a man and not in an expletive laden out burst like a petulant child.
Not to be that guy, but it’s possible that was already tried. The two have had to gotten real familiar with each other with the amount of injuries the team has incurred already. Not a reason for Torts to be pleased with McCrossin.

Not that I’m justifying it, but McCrossin is another part of the old guard that needs his wings clipped hard. I would be lying if I said it didn’t bring me some joy to see it occurring.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Not to be that guy, but it’s possible that was already tried. The two have had to gotten real familiar with each other with the amount of injuries the team has incurred already. Not a reason for Torts to be pleased with McCrossin.

Not that I’m justifying it, but McCrossin is another part of the old guard that needs his wings clipped hard. I would be lying if I said it didn’t bring me some joy to see it occurring.
They met twice when this occurred back in August. McCrossin was already out the door at that point but was helping out on Fletcher’s directive by taking players to the doctor.

He’s a petulant man child.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
According to a source familiar with the interactions between Tortorella and McCrossin, the two met only twice, once during one of Tortorella’s first days as coach, in which he allegedly chewed out McCrossin for the way he treated players and told him he didn’t want McCrossin on his staff.

I'd love to know in what way that McCrossin was treating players for Torts to chew him out.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The amended complaint in the McCrossin/Raffa case is tacked on legal BS in an effort to add leverage. It’s not relevant to the personal injury claim, & there’s no grounds to support retaliation besides conjecture. Chuck worded his email to McCrossin beautifully.

Also, I don’t blame Torts at all for snapping at McCrossin. McCrossin is no longer the trainer, & he doesn’t want McCrossin sticking his nose in & trying to insinuate himself into a role that’s no longer his.

People who are cut out of something often will try to hang around if you don’t immediately put them in their place. To quote Michael Corleone to Tom Hagen: “You’re out, Tom.”

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
How do hockey people even get jobs. What is with these stories it's like theyre trying to hard at every turn to seem unprofessional and stupid. It's closer to a reality tv show than a real business. Simply embarrassing behavior. I want to give props to fletcher for handling this situation with the base level of competence needed, but if the coach wasn't even notified that he asked for it then I'm not sure what their workflow even looks like.

Embarrassing.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Also, I don’t blame Torts at all for snapping at McCrossin. McCrossin is no longer the trainer, & he doesn’t want McCrossin sticking his nose in & trying to insinuate himself into a role that’s no longer his.
That's how I read it. He's new to the org but not the league so he knew McCrossin was out. He doesn't want players distracted by people hanging around if they are out of the org -- they are no different than those in the public. I've seen it a number of times where an HC will flip out on someone who is no longer in the program or was kicked out of the program if they are in an area where it's team only.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Deslauriers doesn't show he can keep up on the forecheck, Torts will bury him, irregardless of his contract, as soon as he has enough healthy bodies. Hodgson hardly played despite Tippett being injured. If you look like dogshit, you have a spot on the bench.

The problem right now is bodies, Couts out, Atkinson out, Tippett?
So the options from LHV are MacEwen, Brooks, Willman, J Cates and ???
Marody lacks NHL speed, Foerster is raw, Lycksell adjusting to the NHL game and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad