Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He was pretty easy to get excited for. His numbers in his draft year were impressive, had a good showing during a rookie tournament on a line with Terry & Comtois, began trending nicely in San Diego and into his first stint in Anaheim.

I'm convinced this was his peak though. Seems to have gone all downhill from there:

Man, it's crazy seeing how skinny Terry looks there. Kid was a twig!

I was really high on Steel as a prospect, didn't want to Include him in any trades at the 2017 trade deadline.

I remember debating him vs Debrincat and it was pointed out that tearing up the WHL isn't as impressive as tearing up the OHL and DeBrincat had at least one thing he was elite at.

I look so bad in hindsight thinking Steel was gonna be a 2C with low end 1C upside lol.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm not "invested" in Gaucher. I just see a soft forward group with skill types that got pushed around on a nightly basis. I like that Verbeek made a pick attempting to address this weakness. Winning teams (especially in the playoffs) aren't entirely populated by guys that are good on the PP and can't win a puck battle. I see Gaucher as a center on a checking line and a penalty killer. Something this team desperately needs. 35-40 points a year, my hope is a Kesler-lite.
In theory I agree with you but man oh man he is such a long way away from what you are hoping for.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Gaucher brings a different element and style that none of our players have. I don’t see Zegras winning board battles or bringing a physical ‘edge’ to his game, Fantilli or Carlsson won’t be that guy either.

So yes, bring more physical in-your-face players. We desperately need more of that in our lineup

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It’s just disappointing not to have anything to dream on with a 1st round pick. There is no realistic path to him being more than a solid 3rd line center IMO. That’s a disappointing and somewhat depressing realization a year later

A potential physical, shutdown 3C was Gaucher's description when we drafted him. That hasn't changed a year later. He's still big, still physical, and plays the shutdown role. It's not depressing if that's who we drafted. What Gaucher brings projects well to being an NHL'er. Right now, we have a couple of late rounders that may not be NHL bound in Tracey and Perreault, as they're only fits would be a top-6 role. Gaucher can slide to wing in a top-6 role like Max Jones if need be.

Now, if you're comparing him to other prospects draft after him, then that's a different discussion.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
A potential physical, shutdown 3C was Gaucher's description when we drafted him. That hasn't changed a year later. He's still big, still physical, and plays the shutdown role. It's not depressing if that's who we drafted. What Gaucher brings projects well to being an NHL'er. Right now, we have a couple of late rounders that may not be NHL bound in Tracey and Perreault, as they're only fits would be a top-6 role. Gaucher can slide to wing in a top-6 role like Max Jones if need be.

Now, if you're comparing him to other prospects draft after him, then that's a different discussion.

Oh lawdy, I hope he has more upside than Max Jones, lol.

Reactions: tomd

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

well he's getting good practice playing 3C since that's what he's playing for his f'ing junior hockey team.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Especially when Kulich has scored 30 goals this year in the AHL as an 18 year-old. He's looking like a Fiala level prospect. If Kulich was a Ducks prospect this board would be going crazy over him. And Snuggerud destroyed college hockey this year as well. Both taken right after Gaucher.

I understand why we went for size but we seem to choose a lot of wrong players when we select a forward with a lower #1st.

Reactions: tomd

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Correct me if I'm wrong but was Ryan O'reilly a similar player when he came out? Hovered around a ppg in juniors but was never suspected to be an offensive dynamo. Just a solid all around player. Big bodied guy that isn't going to make many mistakes and just play good solid hockey. Every team loves a player like that. People putting way too much stake in Gaucher's draft stock but he really projects to be one of those solid non flashy cornerstone players that wins you games by playing dependable hockey.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Correct me if I'm wrong but was Ryan O'reilly a similar player when he came out? Hovered around a ppg in juniors but was never suspected to be an offensive dynamo. Just a solid all around player. Big bodied guy that isn't going to make many mistakes and just play good solid hockey. Every team loves a player like that. People putting way too much stake in Gaucher's draft stock but he really projects to be one of those solid non flashy cornerstone players that wins you games by playing dependable hockey.
You're not wrong, looking at O'Reilly's prospect thread on here is pretty hilarious in hindsight, people talking about a 3rd line ceiling, 40-50 point career high-point ceiling, and calling him a great defensive player with a low offensive ceiling.

And looking at the scouting reports I can find on him it's a similar story, concerns about his skating and his lack of offensive upside, boy did O'Reilly prove them wrong.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Is playing in the NHL at 18 similar to playing on the 3rd line in junior hockey at 19?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This is getting very silly. Nobody here knows what he's going to be, so let's just wait and see before coming to a conclusion.
This seems like a very one-sided approach. Everyone is free (and eager) to hype up good prospects all day long but we are silly for talking about prospects who look like poor draft selections? I'd rather we just be able to talk about the good, bad, and ugly no matter how it might trigger those who believe blindly that anyone the Ducks pick is going to be good. There is a growing list to prove otherwise...especially among forwards.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This seems like a very one-sided approach. Everyone is free (and eager) to hype up good prospects all day long but we are silly for talking about prospects who look like poor draft selections? I'd rather we just be able to talk about the good, bad, and ugly no matter how it might trigger those who believe blindly that anyone the Ducks pick is going to be good. There is a growing list to prove otherwise...especially among forwards.
The issue is you are obsessive about it. Everyone knows how you feel and did from day one when you made up your mind. Just like Jack Eichel's neck, we will see if your opinion holds up.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The issue is you are obsessive about it. Everyone knows how you feel and did from day one when you made up your mind. Just like Jack Eichel's neck, we will see if your opinion holds up.
Gaucher is the only prospect that is currently still playing (at least until the Memorial Cup) so who else are we supposed to talk about? I watched him the other night and reported what I saw. Others largely concurred who also watched. Once his season is done I'll stop talking about him...at least until someone says he going to make the opening night roster next season because he is "just what the team needs". Fair?

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I’ll say it again… 22nd overall picks are almost always meh players at best in the NHL. It will be disappointing if Gaucher is a miss because I want every prospect to be a home run but statistically it would not be surprising.

It really is not worth getting worked up about him, especially getting upset about him. The players picked behind him have not succeeded in the NHL, and are also not worth getting upset about.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Yeah I feel like Gaucher will be the one to suprise a lot of people and some of the high powered defensemen will disappoint. My argument being that his game should translate very well to pros, whereas the D will not be able to maintain their playstyle from juniors. They will need to adapt, whereas Gaucher I think will get a lot of trust from his coaches and he will get the chances. Of course there's also less competition for Gaucher currently.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Is playing in the NHL at 18 similar to playing on the 3rd line in junior hockey at 19?

The problem is perception with Gaucher. Some hype up Gaucher to maybe become O'Reilly. Some take him as advertised.

The logic behind picking Gaucher ==

Gaucher's draft advert was a big, shutdown bottom-6 center who plays physical. At the bottom of the first round, that type of talent is easily projectable to the NHL. Bottom-6 players can also play up in the line up if need be, but top-6 players cannot play down in the bottom-6.

The previous regime's late first round picks were
2019: 29th LW Tracey​
2020: 27th RW Perreault​

Both forwards are top-6, offensive forwards. Both Tracey and Perreault have had one NHL game since their draft year. Neither has torn up the AHL to date. Under Murray, the team took swings at top-6 forward types. Although, in 2019, it was weird not to take Zegras' WJC wingman in Kaliyev since we drafted Zegras 9th overall in that same draft. Kaliyev was probably 90% offense and a low motor for defense, which is why he fell to the 2nd round. In 2020, the Ducks were presented with another Kaliyev situation at 27th and this time they decided to pull the trigger on Perreault.

Under new management and armed with another late first round pick in 2022, new GM Verbeek went with the surefire NHL projection with Gaucher than gamble on top-6 potentials who could flame out.

CSB Final Rankings 2022
  • NA Skaters
    • 11th. 6'1 RW Snuggerud (headed to the NCAA)
    • 16th. 6'4 C Gaucher (in WHL)

• European Skaters
    • 13th. 6'0 C Kulich

For added reference, CSB Final Rankings for Kaliyev was 7th (2019), Tracey was 21st (2019) and for Perreault as 17th (2020), all three on the NA skaters' list. By these rankings, we can identify why Tracey and Perreault are still working their way to the NHL and why Kaliyev is already in the NHL.

Offensive Expectations of Gaucher ==

When we drafted Gaucher as a shutdown 3C, I immediately thought of Groulx. Gaucher is a bit bigger and faster straight-line skating, but turns like a cruise liner.
Gaucher​
and​
Groulx​
Juniors​
Player​
Season​
League​
Games​
G​
A​
Pts​
PPG​
Plus/Minus​
Gaucher​
D+0​
QMJHL​
66​
31​
26​
57​
0.86​
30​
Playoffs​
12​
3​
6​
9​
0.75​
1​
D+1​
QMJHL​
44​
22​
24​
46​
1.05​
35​
Playoffs​
16​
7​
9​
16​
1.00​
8​
Groulx​
D+0​
WHL​
68​
28​
27​
55​
0.81​
9​
Playoffs​
9​
2​
6​
8​
0.89​
2​
D+1​
WHL​
65​
31​
49​
80​
1.23​
37​
Playoffs​
10​
4​
8​
12​
1.20​
3​
D+2​
WHL​
55​
29​
49​
78​
1.42​
20​

Groulx was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2018 draft, 54th overall. His ELC expired this past season, spending all three years in the AHL. It is eerie seeing the similarities between Gaucher and Groulx. Groulx might be the more offensive-minded shutdown center.

Here are Groulx's pro stats:

GroulxProStats
SeasonLeagueGamesGAPtsPPGPlus/Minus
D+3AHL
42​
10​
19​
29​
0.69​
14​
Playoffs
3​
1​
0​
1​
0.33​
-1​
D+4NHL
18​
1​
2​
3​
0.17​
0​
AHL
40​
11​
11​
22​
0.55​
-6​
D+5AHL
63​
18​
21​
39​
0.62​
-22​
NHL
2​
0​
0​
0​
0.00​
0​

I don't know how long Gaucher will be in the AHL. Gaucher's physical size and fast straight-line skating should project to the NHL sooner than Groulx.

A 2022 Forward to keep on eye on ===

5th round pick, RW Connor Hvidston. A 6'2 and 185 lbs, according to WHL stats, as well as an early Sept birth, made a significant offensive jump this past season. Also, he gained 20 lbs since he was drafted. Hvid the Kid was drafted as a shutdown forward.

Hvidston
SeasonLeagueGamesGAPtsPPGPlus/Minus
D+0WHL
58​
13​
19​
32​
0.55​
-5​
D+1WHL
59​
21​
44​
65​
1.10​
15​

Also this:
Connor Hvidston became the youngest Gull in club history to both earn a point (previous: Olen Zellweger; 18 years, 7 months and 24 days) and to score a goal (previous: Mason McTavish 18 years, 8 months, 30 days) at 18 years, 6 months and 28 days during the team’s last home game of the regular season against the Calgary Wranglers on Apr. 8, 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad