Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
He has been consistent this year. 1 ppg in both the regular season and the playoffs.

But to your question, try to find a player from the QMJHL who averaged a ppg as a 19 year-old who has even made the NHL. My search has come up empty so far.
Gourde and Marchessault were both pretty much exactly a PPG as 19-year-olds in the QMJHL

Alex Burrows was less than half a point per game as a 19-year-old in the QMJHL and only became a PPG player as a 20-year-old in the QMJHL and he turned out just fine.

It was a long road to the NHL for those 3 guys but once they made it all 3 became legit players putting up good numbers in the regular season and in the playoffs, I don't think Gaucher's road to the NHL is going to be as long as those guys personally I think he's one and done in the AHL and on our roster opening night for the 2024-25 season, and I think with the right linemates and in the right system he should have no problem putting up 40-50 points in his prime.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't expect a lot of offense from Gaucher. I see him as a physical, shutdown 3C or 3RW. Most of his scoring might be when he's in front of the net with a redirect goal or an assist bouncing off of him to a teammate to scoop up a rebound goal.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's hard to compare because the Q used to have much more offense.

At the top of my mind, Alexandre Burrows had a pretty good NHL career for a 0.5 ppg player at 19 in the Q.

Among players who used to be part of the Remparts, Jonathan Marchessault was also a ppg player at 19. The same season his teammate Dmitry Kugryshev (a Capitals' 2nd round pick) was way over the ppg (87 in 66 games) at the same age.

It's not always about points.

Gourde and Marchessault were both pretty much exactly a PPG as 19-year-olds in the QMJHL

Alex Burrows was less than half a point per game as a 19-year-old in the QMJHL and only became a PPG player as a 20-year-old in the QMJHL and he turned out just fine.

It was a long road to the NHL for those 3 guys but once they made it all 3 became legit players putting up good numbers in the regular season and in the playoffs, I don't think Gaucher's road to the NHL is going to be as long as those guys personally I think he's one and done in the AHL and on our roster opening night for the 2024-25 season, and I think with the right linemates and in the right system he should have no problem putting up 40-50 points in his prime.
The players you both used all have two things in common:
1. They were undrafted
2. They didn't "hit their stride" until they were all 26/27 years old

IMO you are being beyond optimistic thinking that Gaucher will magically become an NHL player a year from now. History just doesn't bear that out at all. Just watching him it is obvious that his offensive skillset is very very limited even at the junior hockey level. Extrapolating that to NHL success is mind boggling at this point. We will be waiting a very long time for him to put up 40-50 points if he ever does. But assuming he does make the NHL in a year it will be as a low scoring 4th line muscle guy. Those types of players can (and are) acquired for 3rd and 4th round picks (Nic D and Nick Paul are just two examples). Wasting a 1st rounder on one when there were clearly better players available is a huge missed opportunity.

But I do look forward to seeing him in the Memorial Cup and I hope he does well. The next time I see him play a good game will be the first time I see him play a good game. But I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

I don't expect a lot of offense from Gaucher. I see him as a physical, shutdown 3C or 3RW. Most of his scoring might be when he's in front of the net with a redirect goal or an assist bouncing off of him to a teammate to scoop up a rebound goal.
You just described Derek Grant.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
IMO you are being beyond optimistic thinking that Gaucher will magically become an NHL player a year from now.
And IMO you're being beyond pessimistic when it comes to him, it's clear you hate the guy and want him to fail, you've made that obvious for months now every comment you make is filled with snide remarks about how he'll never amount to anything and how you've never seen him do anything good in his life.

e.g.
But I do look forward to seeing him in the Memorial Cup and I hope he does well. The next time I see him play a good game will be the first time I see him play a good game. But I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

Will he be as good as the guys you wish we took instead? probably not but you can't change the past so I don't think there's any reason to get stuck on it or hate Gaucher for things that aren't his fault

Is he as bad as you constantly say he is or a waste of a 1st round pick? Not from anything I've ever watched, most guys taken in that late 1st round don't amount to anything or play for long in the NHL, I think Gaucher with his two-way skillset is a pretty safe bet to have a long career in the NHL even if it is only as a bottom-6 shutdown center, but personally, I think he's got the skills to potentially be more than that, I don't think he'll ever be a guy carrying his line offensively but I think if you pair him with the right people he's got the right set of skills to put up decent numbers, with his consistent net-front presence and willingness to get into dirty areas and his IMO underrated passing ability.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The players you both used all have two things in common:
1. They were undrafted
2. They didn't "hit their stride" until they were all 26/27 years old

IMO you are being beyond optimistic thinking that Gaucher will magically become an NHL player a year from now. History just doesn't bear that out at all. Just watching him it is obvious that his offensive skillset is very very limited even at the junior hockey level. Extrapolating that to NHL success is mind boggling at this point. We will be waiting a very long time for him to put up 40-50 points if he ever does. But assuming he does make the NHL in a year it will be as a low scoring 4th line muscle guy. Those types of players can (and are) acquired for 3rd and 4th round picks (Nic D and Nick Paul are just two examples). Wasting a 1st rounder on one when there were clearly better players available is a huge missed opportunity.

You just described Derek Grant.
I think the bold is a bit misleading. The type of player you think Gaucher is can and are found in later rounds but are probably most commonly found in the first round. I'd wager, and I have not looked up the specific data, that quite a bit more of those players come from the first round than the later based solely on the knowledge that you're more likely to get an NHL player in the first round then later rounds. Are those clearly better options already playing in the NHL making impacts? If so some teams just get lucky. That's how you get a Getzlaf at 15, or Perry at 29. Pastrnack at 25. ROR in the second round. From an asset management stand point, I can see a justification of taking a safer higher floor lower ceiling player as you've a higher chance to "hit" on the player. You may never get the Home run but you're constantly on base.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
You can't blame Gaucher for being drafted by the Ducks. He had no choice. Having been drafted by the Ducks we all better hope that he turns out to be a success, be it as a scoring forward or as a defensive forward.

I think that there is little doubt that the Ducks need to get larger. Verbeek, whose actions are otherwise cloaked in mystery, is clearly pushing that trend. Gaucher is a larger, more physical player. Is he the right player? Only time will tell. But with Zegras, McTavish, and either Fantilli or Carlsson the Ducks don't need him to be a scoring line center, they need him to be a valuable, physical presence on the 3rd or 4th line.

If you want to criticize Verbeek or Maddon for selecting Gaucher in the first round, then fine, have at it. But Gaucher is still young, so let us evaluate him in a few years, when he has had a chance to develop in the professional game. And then we will see how, if at all, he fits into the Ducks line up.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
So much "venom" for Gaucher. So many "pitchforks."
I have violated the First Commandment of HF: “Thou shall not criticize your own team’s prospects”. And for that I must be scorned and ostracized. So be it. At least my comments are based upon actually watching him play. I trust my eyes.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s just disappointing not to have anything to dream on with a 1st round pick. There is no realistic path to him being more than a solid 3rd line center IMO. That’s a disappointing and somewhat depressing realization a year later

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
It’s just disappointing not to have anything to dream on with a 1st round pick. There is no realistic path to him being more than a solid 3rd line center IMO. That’s a disappointing and somewhat depressing realization a year later
Late first round picks are almost never something to dream on.

We have literally one of the dreamiest defense prospects in the league from the same draft lol

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'd be delighted if a late 1st rounder becomes a good 3rd line centre.

Look at our recent 1st round forward picks, Perreault, Tracey, Lundestrom, Jones, Steel.

Jones, Steel and Lundestrom are all 4th liners and we'll be lucky if Perreault and Tracey become anything more then AHL fodder.

A good 3rd line forward with a 1st round draft pick is an absolute dream at this point.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'd be delighted if a late 1st rounder becomes a good 3rd line centre.

Look at our recent 1st round forward picks, Perreault, Tracey, Lundestrom, Jones, Steel.

Jones, Steel and Lundestrom are all 4th liners and we'll be lucky if Perreault and Tracey become anything more then AHL fodder.

A good 3rd line forward with a 1st round draft pick is an absolute dream at this point.
But that’s his maximum upside ImO, not his most likely outcome. And that’s where the disappointment stems from. His maximum is Adam Lowry, his most likely outcome is Derek Grant with a touch more skill, and his floor is an AHL plodder. Tough to get excited about that

Reactions: tomd

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
But that’s his maximum upside ImO, not his most likely outcome. And that’s where the disappointment stems from. His maximum is Adam Lowry, his most likely outcome is Derek Grant with a touch more skill, and his floor is an AHL plodder. Tough to get excited about that
Especially when Kulich has scored 30 goals this year in the AHL as an 18 year-old. He's looking like a Fiala level prospect. If Kulich was a Ducks prospect this board would be going crazy over him. And Snuggerud destroyed college hockey this year as well. Both taken right after Gaucher.

Reactions: Masch78 and Beckett

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
True, and i remember him being a center when he first debuted with Ducks.
I think his description was a potential two-way center...which as I recall we tried to put him as during his first couple of years, before we realized he was terrible on faceoffs and also had what I call "one minute syndrome" where he showed up maybe one minute each period. :laugh:

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I have violated the First Commandment of HF: “Thou shall not criticize your own team’s prospects”. And for that I must be scorned and ostracized. So be it. At least my comments are based upon actually watching him play. I trust my eyes.
I guess you weren’t around when Larsson, Theodore, Terry, and Steel were prospects.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I guess you weren’t around when Larsson, Theodore, Terry, and Steel were prospects.
I was and I guess that's why I'm so surprised that people are so invested in this prospect. The 4 you mentioned had great progression in the 1-2 years after they were drafted. As I recall most people where excited about them until they got to the AHL or NHL and had their weaknesses exposed. In this case, Gaucher's weaknesses are glaring at the junior hockey level but most people seem to think he'll somehow magically be a better pro. He's a unicorn...there is no similar example that anyone can give but they blindly believe.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Sam Steel had many needing to change their drawers post draft.

I’m a fan, not invested enough to be an analyst/scout/advisor. Period

If….IF Gaucher becomes a 3rd line or even regular NHL player who is responsible and brings toughness, I’d be happy.

Looking at guys drafted after our guy can happen way more often than not, so I just don’t worry about that.

I have watched a little, and think he will be a good surpise pick

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Sam Steel had many needing to change their drawers post draft.

I’m a fan, not invested enough to be an analyst/scout/advisor. Period

If….IF Gaucher becomes a 3rd line or even regular NHL player who is responsible and brings toughness, I’d be happy.

Looking at guys drafted after our guy can happen way more often than not, so I just don’t worry about that.

I have watched a little, and think he will be a good surpise pick
He was pretty easy to get excited for. His numbers in his draft year were impressive, had a good showing during a rookie tournament on a line with Terry & Comtois, began trending nicely in San Diego and into his first stint in Anaheim.

I'm convinced this was his peak though. Seems to have gone all downhill from there:

Man, it's crazy seeing how skinny Terry looks there. Kid was a twig!

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I was and I guess that's why I'm so surprised that people are so invested in this prospect. The 4 you mentioned had great progression in the 1-2 years after they were drafted. As I recall most people where excited about them until they got to the AHL or NHL and had their weaknesses exposed. In this case, Gaucher's weaknesses are glaring at the junior hockey level but most people seem to think he'll somehow magically be a better pro. He's a unicorn...there is no similar example that anyone can give but they blindly believe.
I'm not "invested" in Gaucher. I just see a soft forward group with skill types that got pushed around on a nightly basis. I like that Verbeek made a pick attempting to address this weakness. Winning teams (especially in the playoffs) aren't entirely populated by guys that are good on the PP and can't win a puck battle. I see Gaucher as a center on a checking line and a penalty killer. Something this team desperately needs. 35-40 points a year, my hope is a Kesler-lite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad