Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can we make a non-duck prospect thread….

These Kulich/snuggard posts are more obnoxious than the lindholm conversations that are constantly moved to the former ducks thread.

I come to this thread to read updates and opinions on our own prospects

Some folks just comparing Gaucher to other prospects. If it continues to go off tangent will just ask folks to get back on topic to the Ducks prospects. Don't get me started about the Lindholm conversations, lol.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Some of the same people constantly complaining that the roster is soft and that our young guys have been thrown to the wolves are the ones crapping on the Gaucher pick. You don't put together a hockey team by drafting all high skill, high ceiling guys. Someone has to play defense and hit someone. If you watch this Ducks team and don't see the need for a player like Gaucher, I don't know what you are watching.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think verbeek picks are made with intentions.

Maybe they didn’t see anyone available at that pick with top 6 potential(or someone that would crack /stick to the team). My guess is he has a plan w/ line up and picking players that fit that plan.

Gaucher is a safe pick in that sense. He’s physical, he’s big, he wins face offs and he pks. He’ll be a main stay in our bottom 6 and an important role player when we start pushing for playoffs.

Is it a sexy pick… no but we’ve gone skill/upside in the past(perreault/Tracey/steel) and those havnt exactly been winning picks.

Guys like Jones Lundy gaucher give the team a bit of an identity in our bottom 6.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Is it so hard to fathom that maybe our front office and scouting staff just wasn't high on Snuggerud? This "obvious pick" stuff in the 20s is such nonsense. It's very possible our scouts who people praise the hell out of on here collectively thought his weaknesses would prevent his strengths from ever making an impact at the NHL level

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Does Gaucher really bring a lot that Lundeztrom doesn't?
Gaucher gets a lot more "in the mix" than Lundestrom, which is my biggest complaint of Isac. Lundestrom might be the best skating forward in the organization, but he rarely uses it to attack dangerous areas. From my limited viewings, Gaucher doesn't have nearly the same skating ability, but at least he isn't afraid to cause a ruckus. Each of them have very useful skills, but neither of them are close to complete players.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think verbeek picks are made with intentions.

Maybe they didn’t see anyone available at that pick with top 6 potential(or someone that would crack /stick to the team). My guess is he has a plan w/ line up and picking players that fit that plan.

Gaucher is a safe pick in that sense. He’s physical, he’s big, he wins face offs and he pks. He’ll be a main stay in our bottom 6 and an important role player when we start pushing for playoffs.

Is it a sexy pick… no but we’ve gone skill/upside in the past(perreault/Tracey/steel) and those havnt exactly been winning picks.

Guys like Jones Lundy gaucher give the team a bit of an identity in our bottom 6.
To me, it's not so much about being "safe" as it is about building a roster with all the necessary ingredients. Good teams have guys like Gaucher, the Ducks have a bunch of forwards who get manhandled.

"Verbeek has such a soft roster, he's throwing all of the kids out there in a dangerous situation."

Verbeek drafts a big, physical, somewhat skilled player.

"Why aren't we taking high upside scorers?"

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Gaucher gets a lot more "in the mix" than Lundestrom, which is my biggest complaint of Isac. Lundestrom might be the best skating forward in the organization, but he rarely uses it to attack dangerous areas. From my limited viewings, Gaucher doesn't have nearly the same skating ability, but at least he isn't afraid to cause a ruckus. Each of them have very useful skills, but neither of them are close to complete players.
Thanks for the breakdown. Do you see them playing different roles for the team?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The days are over where you could have two scoring lines and two non-scoring lines and make the playoffs. The good teams all have 3 and maybe even 4 lines that can all score. Lundestrom is largely ineffective at 3c right now b/c he can't score. That's fine for a bottom 3 team but won't fly for a playoff caliber team. Same with Gaucher. His junior scoring totals are not impressive and if he can't find more offense at the NHL level he's destined to be a 4th liner. The Ducks scouting staff has been terrible at finding scoring forwards outside of the top ten for over a decade now (Terry being the lone exception). I think it is reasonable to once again question a pick that has very little upside...feels like Max Jones redux...although even Jones was a much better scorer in junior than Gaucher has been. Sorry if it bothers you that I'm not impressed with the pick and see very little to look forward to with him.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Teams don’t draft guys like Gaucher or Snuggerud to provide them with the best D+1 seasons on their respective non-NHL levels. It’s a long-term projection, and while it’s easy to understand how one guy did more to help his perceived stock, the idea that their D+1 seasons ends any debate on who will turn out to be the better pick also seems a bit foolish, to me.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’m going to choose my words carefully here. I don’t see Gaucher being an offensive dynamo, yes. But I do see him slotting anywhere up and down the lineup, PP possibly, maybe PK. Similar to how Kesler was. I’m not saying he will turn into RK - but the potential is there to be something like that.

I would go as far as saying he is the most ‘physical’ top end prospect we have. He’s not shy in getting to dirty areas

I always advocated for Tolvanen. Leason doesn’t do enough to warrant more playing time (judging by reading GDT)

Physical visually? Because both McTavish and Jones are physical. McTavish uses his physicality often, but it's not jarring hits as he's always going to dirty areas to either win the puck or "hold" his man to the boards so a teammate can get the loose puck. Both McTavish and Jones always go to the top of the net too.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Teams don’t draft guys like Gaucher or Snuggerud to provide them with the best D+1 seasons on their respective non-NHL levels. It’s a long-term projection, and while it’s easy to understand how one guy did more to help his perceived stock, the idea that their D+1 seasons ends any debate on who will turn out to be the better pick also seems a bit foolish, to me.

I'm pretty sure there's their D+0, D-1, and international productions to help create a better picture of their progression. It's the reason we have classification of "high floor, low ceiling", "high ceiling", and "late riser with potential higher ceiling".

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Found this interview after Minny won the game to go to the Frozen four. LaCombe is part of the interview and his nickname by coach Motzko is Comber (koh-mer). Funny exchange with LaCombe and G Close on stage when LaCombe admitted to his goalie, "nah. That wasn't me. I got beat." Got me crackin' up!

And when they left, coach quipped about Comer. Even later in the interview, I found out that LaCombe blocked 6 shots, helping out the PK unit.

Recap of the game.
1. 6:20 mark is LaCombe stealing a pass in the def zone and making a 3-zone pass through the middle of the ice to Cooley. (I have the video starting there.)
2. 10:41 mark is where LaCombe got beat and the puck shot hit the side of the net, thanks to another Minny player.
3. 11:20 mark is where LaCombe scores off a faceoff win.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Found this interview after Minny won the game to go to the Frozen four. LaCombe is part of the interview and his nickname by coach Motzko is Comber (koh-mer). Funny exchange with LaCombe and G Close on stage when LaCombe admitted to his goalie, "nah. That wasn't me. I got beat." Got me crackin' up!
There can only be one Comer on the team at a time... He and Comtois must fight to the death

Oct 18, 2011
Some of the same people constantly complaining that the roster is soft and that our young guys have been thrown to the wolves are the ones crapping on the Gaucher pick. You don't put together a hockey team by drafting all high skill, high ceiling guys. Someone has to play defense and hit someone. If you watch this Ducks team and don't see the need for a player like Gaucher, I don't know what you are watching.
This is exactly how i feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad