Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Realistically which one of our Defensive prospects makes the team next year? Lacombe we know might be there.. Im thinking Myntikov

I'm gonna say the prospects who know how to play defense well will make the team. That would point to LaCombe and Hinds. LaCombe has had four years in college is like Cool Hand Luke in the defensive end, which should make his transition to the NHL less steep. Hinds has only played against his peers in the CHL, but that Lindholm-like defense is tantalizing. I think Hinds starts in the AHL and then becomes a mainstay halfway through the season.

If Minty is going to be a #1, then he's gotta learn how to understand and play defense before going to the NHL level. The problem with most defensive guys is they don't know how to play defense well enough when going pro. Look at Drysdale, he was known for his defense and he got wrecked in his first two stints at the NHL level: was a -12 rating in 24 NHL games in 2020-21 and was a -26 rating in 81 NHL games, while his partner, Lindholm, had a +0 rating. Drysdale did amazing in 14 AHL games to be recognized as rookie of the month, beating out teammate Zegras.

I would take my time with Minty and Zell developing how to play defense in the AHL at least a full season, maybe more. The dividends might be far higher that way than to rush both to the NHL without proper defensive knowledge. The lack of defensive knowledge was what Eakins identified in his time with Edmonton and the Ducks. Teaching on the fly at the NHL level makes the acclimation to the NHL far steeper - see Drysdale. Drysdale is another case of "He's more talented than half of our blue line at the NHL level as an 18-year old rookie." There's enough talent going into the pro system now that we don't have to rush OFD's Minty and Zell to the NHL level and let them stew in the AHL.

Not sure either of them "makes" the team, but I think LaCombe and Minty will both get a good look. Can't remember Helleson's contract situation but if he's still under contract next year, think he will as well.

Helleson started his ELC this season. I don't think he's ready for the NHL because his defense isn't there yet. His offense is perking up, but we're gonna have to wait on him to develop even more defensively.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Realistically which one of our Defensive prospects makes the team next year? Lacombe we know might be there.. Im thinking Myntikov

None of the guys moving out of the CHL should touch the NHL next year. The guys going into their D+4/5 need to step up. Andersson, Helleson, Lacombe, ect.

No way we should be rushing the guys going into their D+2/3 when the DUcks will likely still be a bottom 5-10 team.

Edit: I realize that may sounds like I am saying they SHOULD make the team. I'm more saying guys going into their D+4/5 at some point need to shit or get off the pot.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
None of the guys moving out of the CHL should touch the NHL next year. The guys going into their D+4/5 need to step up. Andersson, Helleson, Lacombe, ect.

No way we should be rushing the guys going into their D+2/3 when the DUcks will likely still be a bottom 5-10 team.

Edit: I realize that may sounds like I am saying they SHOULD make the team. I'm more saying guys going into their D+4/5 at some point need to shit or get off the pot.

Mostly agree with the CHL thought. Hinds might be the only prospect called up midway through the season if injuries occur b/c I think Hinds might be dominant at the AHL level early. He's the most defensively mature prospect coming out of the CHL to go pro next season. I wouldn't mind if he stayed in the AHL all season either, but his defensive talent might be difficult to keep down due to the lack of defensive talent at the NHL level.

According to Madden, he's telling his defensive prospects to now worry about developing fast for some of them and their target date maybe at age 23-24 (D+5 to D+6). Helleson needs more development in the AHL. Andersson would be a great candidate for the NHL if he wasn't made out of glass the past two seasons in the AHL. LaCombe is an unknown quantity since he hasn't played any pro games yet.

I think we're very spoiled with our expectations of D-men going to the NHL level. Fowler and Drysdale made it as 18 year olds. Lindholm was a stud as an 19-year old. We were patient with the rest of our d-prospects. Manson got his start (sip) as a 23-year old (D+5) and a reg at age 24. Monty got a sip as a 22-year old and then a regular as a 23-year old (D+6). Pettersson got a sip as a 21-year old and became a reg as a 22-year old (D+5).

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The are saying myntikov is the next makar.. I think he makes the team
Well if he’s the next Makar, he definitely won’t make the team next season out of camp. Makar spent 2 years in college after being drafted

And I just think he compares more favorably to a player like Josi. He’s a GREAT skater but Makar is perhaps the most dynamic skater on defense in 20-30 years, or possibly ever. Don’t see the comparison there

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The are saying myntikov is the next makar.. I think he makes the team

Makar spent two years in the NCAA before going pro from his draft year. Minty has one season played beyond his draft year at the CHL level. Let's give him time to develop, or at least an extra year to develop like Makar.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly don't think any prospects will make the team outside of Dostal, maybe our first rounder this year, Groulx/Andersson as both will be waiver eligible, and I suppose Nesterenko/Lacombe could earn full time spots
Yeah it’s going to be another development year where we allocate most of our attention to checking the prospect thread.

I’ve got my eye on the 2024-2025 for when things start to get interesting

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
If this team doesn't start to go in the right direction.. I could see the samulies selling it . Zegras brought in I'm some fans these past 2 years. But then losing so much. They are just sad to watch now.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
If this team doesn't start to go in the right direction.. I could see the samulies selling it . Zegras brought in I'm some fans these past 2 years. But then losing so much. They are just sad to watch now.

Youre thinking about this from the perspective of someone where losing 10 mil a year actually matters.

The Ducks are a passion possession for the Samuelis. He is worth 8 billion and only paid 75 million for the Ducks that are now worth an estimated 10x that. Even if they lost 10 mil every season they still come way ahead just in the value of the franchise going up.

And that doesn't count the 150 mil+ in revenue that the Honda center generates annually.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Youre thinking about this from the perspective of someone where losing 10 mil a year actually matters.

The Ducks are a passion possession for the Samuelis. He is worth 8 billion and only paid 75 million for the Ducks that are now worth an estimated 10x that. Even if they lost 10 mil every season they still come way ahead just in the value of the franchise going up.

And that doesn't count the 150 mil+ in revenue that the Honda center generates annually.
I guess your right.. I forgot they only paid 75mil for the team.. Damn what a steal that looks now lmao

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
It doesn't hurt any of our prospects to spend time in the AHL, and it will help most, if not all of them. I would much rather than they learn to play at the professional level there than having to learn in the NHL.

Reactions: Kalv

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

Without the Ducks, they wouldn't have a professional sports team for the HC. The own the operating rights to HC, so I doubt they will sell the team unless they have another professional team coming in.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The Samueli's are in it for the long haul of creating a hockey community. They started hockey programs several years ago as well as running hockey programs with schools for education. Totally fits the Samueli's philanthropic ways. They brought over AHL hockey to the West. Great Park Ice & 5-point Arena was completed recently, and that also holds events such as Olympic curling as well as give the hockey communities an amazing place to play. Finally, for now, there's the OCVibe stuff. Eventually, all that stuff should help increase fan viewership.

The Ducks are the center of all that plus what you've denoted. I'm grateful the Samueli's bought the Ducks, otherwise, the Ducks could have been moved to another city or country.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah it’s going to be another development year where we allocate most of our attention to checking the prospect thread.

I’ve got my eye on the 2024-2025 for when things start to get interesting

Next year we'll be focusing a lot of our attention to the San Diego Gulls thread. Coming over are G Clang, LD/RD LaCombe (could go NHL), LD/RD Zellweger, F Pastjujov, LD/RD Hinds, LD Mintyukov, LW Nesterenko (could go NHL) and, possibly, C Gaucher. They'll join C Groulx (could go NHL), RD Andersson (if extended), LW Tracey, RD Helleson, RW Perreault, G Alexander, and RW Wiebe. C King and LW Tschigerl could be signed this summer and go to the AHL as well.

Fantilli and Carlsson could come over to the AHL if we drafted either one and they wanted to come over. I think they'll want to stay in their respective leagues for another season.

Since we don't know how our blueliners will pan out at the pro level, it might take two seasons before we feel comfy to start adding players from outside the organization, which is the 2025-26 season.

As for non-pro top prospects to watch next year...
RD Moore (NCAA, 2020)
C Kukkonen (NCAA, 2021)
RD Luneau (QMJHL, 2022)
RD Warren (QMJHL, 2022)
C Hvidston (WHL, 2022)
G Buteyets (VHL, 2022)
the 2023 class

Reactions: Yemeth and lwvs84

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Next year we'll be focusing a lot of our attention to the San Diego Gulls thread. Coming over are G Clang, LD/RD LaCombe (could go NHL), LD/RD Zellweger, F Pastjujov, LD/RD Hinds, LD Mintyukov, LW Nesterenko (could go NHL) and, possibly, C Gaucher. They'll join C Groulx (could go NHL), RD Andersson (if extended), LW Tracey, RD Helleson, RW Perreault, G Alexander, and RW Wiebe. C King and LW Tschigerl could be signed this summer and go to the AHL as well.

Fantilli and Carlsson could come over to the AHL if we drafted either one and they wanted to come over. I think they'll want to stay in their respective leagues for another season.

Since we don't know how our blueliners will pan out at the pro level, it might take two seasons before we feel comfy to start adding players from outside the organization, which is the 2025-26 season.

As for non-pro top prospects to watch next year...
RD Moore (NCAA, 2020)
C Kukkonen (NCAA, 2021)
RD Luneau (QMJHL, 2022)
RD Warren (QMJHL, 2022)
C Hvidston (WHL, 2022)
G Buteyets (VHL, 2022)
the 2023 class
Carlsson I think could spend another season in the SHL, but no way does Fantilli return to the NCAA after torching it the way he has.

Reactions: Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Carlsson I think could spend another season in the SHL, but no way does Fantilli return to the NCAA after torching it the way he has.

Yeah I agree that Fantilli is almost surely one and done as a college player. I'd expect a full time NHLer right away but the AHL is an option if he needs a bit of time.

Carlsson will probably push for an immediate job in the NHL as well but the AHL might be a good place to start him in order to adapt to the NA game. I'd keep him right close rather than sending back to Sweden, maybe loan him out for the WJC.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah I agree that Fantilli is almost surely one and done as a college player. I'd expect a full time NHLer right away but the AHL is an option if he needs a bit of time.

Carlsson will probably push for an immediate job in the NHL as well but the AHL might be a good place to start him in order to adapt to the NA game. I'd keep him right close rather than sending back to Sweden, maybe loan him out for the WJC.

Bedard is on a whole different level than Fantilli and Carlsson.

I'd prefer if both, Fantilli and Carlsson, stayed in their respective leagues to continue their body development and fine tune their overall game in a winning environment. We're a shitshow right now, a developing shitshow, but a shitshow nonetheless. (odd... I thought shitshow needed to be two words, but no red squiggly underline popped up to identify a word not recognized. For M-W, it's two words. For dictionary.com it's one word.)

Fantilli can follow what Beniers, Power, Kent Johnson, and Luke Hughes did at Michigan, which is to play an extra year after they were drafted. With the aggressive and physical play Fantilli does, another year of muscle development at college would be worth it. At the WJC, Fantilli was out of sorts, but that might have triggered him to play better when he returned to Michigan... which he did play better. I want to see a longer burn of that improvement next season at Michigan and potentially improving above that expectation.

Carlsson is still in a development stage early in his SHL career. I love how players are developed across the pond because they're usually better two-way defenders and that's something we need in our top-6. Carlsson's SHL team is a playoff team this year and will probably be one next season too. He is still trying to establish himself into a top-6 forward as he is still relegated to limited minutes at times. The SHL is a top men's league, better than the AHL level competition.

Both of their teams are stable situations. Anaheim is in a fluid state because we will have a new head coach in San Diego and probably a new head coach for the Ducks. The Ducks will need a new PP coach, but a new GM might want to scrap the whole coaching group. At the NHL level, we do not have a lot of top defensive talents established. All we have is Fowler. Drysdale lost a year of development to be established this season.

With this reset rebuild, we're in a marathon situation with respect to returning to the playoffs; we are not in a sprint. Verbeek is trying to develop talent and develop talent depth. That will take years. Verbeek has often cited that rebuilds usually take five years.

Reactions: SoCal Dreaming

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Bedard is on a whole different level than Fantilli and Carlsson.

I'd prefer if both, Fantilli and Carlsson, stayed in their respective leagues to continue their body development and fine tune their overall game in a winning environment. We're a shitshow right now, a developing shitshow, but a shitshow nonetheless. (odd... I thought shitshow needed to be two words, but no red squiggly underline popped up to identify a word not recognized. For M-W, it's two words. For dictionary.com it's one word.)

Fantilli can follow what Beniers, Power, Kent Johnson, and Luke Hughes did at Michigan, which is to play an extra year after they were drafted. With the aggressive and physical play Fantilli does, another year of muscle development at college would be worth it. At the WJC, Fantilli was out of sorts, but that might have triggered him to play better when he returned to Michigan... which he did play better. I want to see a longer burn of that improvement next season at Michigan and potentially improving above that expectation.

Carlsson is still in a development stage early in his SHL career. I love how players are developed across the pond because they're usually better two-way defenders and that's something we need in our top-6. Carlsson's SHL team is a playoff team this year and will probably be one next season too. He is still trying to establish himself into a top-6 forward as he is still relegated to limited minutes at times. The SHL is a top men's league, better than the AHL level competition.

Both of their teams are stable situations. Anaheim is in a fluid state because we will have a new head coach in San Diego and probably a new head coach for the Ducks. The Ducks will need a new PP coach, but a new GM might want to scrap the whole coaching group. At the NHL level, we do not have a lot of top defensive talents established. All we have is Fowler. Drysdale lost a year of development to be established this season.

With this reset rebuild, we're in a marathon situation with respect to returning to the playoffs; we are not in a sprint. Verbeek is trying to develop talent and develop talent depth. That will take years. Verbeek has often cited that rebuilds usually take five years.

For sure Bedard is on that generational path where they make the NHL right away 100% of the time.

But I'd say Fantilli is number one overall pick material in any year that doesn't have a generational talent, and number one picks almost always make the NHL immediately with very few outliers - especially those that happen to be forwards. There shouldn't be much concern about him being physically ready and he already plays a pretty well rounded game. I just don't know what's really holding him back from being ready, but being able to send him to the AHL is a nice fallback. He's already shown he can dominate college hockey, his game is ready for the pros.

All of that could honestly be said of Carlsson as well, but it's easier to picture him needing a bit more time to adjust to the NA game. The AHL is probably the perfect place for him to start, but it may not be long until he proves too good to be there.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
For sure Bedard is on that generational path where they make the NHL right away 100% of the time.

But I'd say Fantilli is number one overall pick material in any year that doesn't have a generational talent, and number one picks almost always make the NHL immediately with very few outliers - especially those that happen to be forwards. There shouldn't be much concern about him being physically ready and he already plays a pretty well rounded game. I just don't know what's really holding him back from being ready, but being able to send him to the AHL is a nice fallback. He's already shown he can dominate college hockey, his game is ready for the pros.

All of that could honestly be said of Carlsson as well, but it's easier to picture him needing a bit more time to adjust to the NA game. The AHL is probably the perfect place for him to start, but it may not be long until he proves too good to be there.

Using that logic of potentially being a #1 pick, we can look at the 2021 draft. C Beniers was picked 2nd overall, C McTavish was picked 3rd overall, and F Kent Johnson went 5th overall. All three could be the #1 pick in the 2022 draft. Yet all three went back another season before going to the NHL. Beniers and Johnson went back to Michigan, which is where Fantilli is today. #1 overall pick in 2021 is D Power, and he went back to Michigan for another season. D Luke Hughes is a #4 overall pick in the 2021 draft, and he went back to Michigan for another season.

All the Michigan prospects who played an extra year and then came over to the NHL are looking very good. Beniers is the top rookie scorer in the NHL with 50 points, Johnson is fourth in rookie scoring with 38 points, and Power leads all rookies in ATOI with 23:47 and second on his NHL team. All those team that drafted them are all lottery teams. Those NHL clubs are now reaping the benefits of waiting an extra year as they receive a more finished player whose transition to the NHL isn't as steep.

I'm not saying that Fantilli can't go straight to the NHL. What I am saying is there are several factors why he shouldn't go straight to the NHL with the Ducks, which I listed in my previous post.

With Carlsson, the same sentiment applies. The AHL is a lower competition level than the SHL. The Gulls currently have two rookie AHL coaches in Clarke and Sparre. We are securing another rookie coach for next season for the Gulls with Matt McIlvane. (Just translate the article from German to English.) Why subject Carlsson to an unestablished situation with a mass amount of rookies coming on board and with a GM that can't field a proper support team next year when Carlsson can continue developing on a playoff team (implying loads of established talents) and against a higher level of competition?

My thoughts on these two prospects rests on the fact Verbeek reset the rebuild and I bought all in. All of Verbeek's actions so far have proven we're not taking shortcuts on this rebuild. I'm not impatient to get better because there's a bigger picture at hand. We're a fluid shitshow at both the NHL and AHL level with a rookie GM. Fantilli and Carlsson are in better situations if they remain with their current clubs, and we can't f*** up their development. An extra year with their respective clubs makes it more likely they'll stick at the NHL level.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Using that logic of potentially being a #1 pick, we can look at the 2021 draft. C Beniers was picked 2nd overall, C McTavish was picked 3rd overall, and F Kent Johnson went 5th overall. All three could be the #1 pick in the 2022 draft. Yet all three went back another season before going to the NHL. Beniers and Johnson went back to Michigan, which is where Fantilli is today. #1 overall pick in 2021 is D Power, and he went back to Michigan for another season. D Luke Hughes is a #4 overall pick in the 2021 draft, and he went back to Michigan for another season.

All the Michigan prospects who played an extra year and then came over to the NHL are looking very good. Beniers is the top rookie scorer in the NHL with 50 points, Johnson is fourth in rookie scoring with 38 points, and Power leads all rookies in ATOI with 23:47 and second on his NHL team. All those team that drafted them are all lottery teams. Those NHL clubs are now reaping the benefits of waiting an extra year as they receive a more finished player whose transition to the NHL isn't as steep.

I'm not saying that Fantilli can't go straight to the NHL. What I am saying is there are several factors why he shouldn't go straight to the NHL with the Ducks, which I listed in my previous post.

With Carlsson, the same sentiment applies. The AHL is a lower competition level than the SHL. The Gulls currently have two rookie AHL coaches in Clarke and Sparre. We are securing another rookie coach for next season for the Gulls with Matt McIlvane. (Just translate the article from German to English.) Why subject Carlsson to an unestablished situation with a mass amount of rookies coming on board and with a GM that can't field a proper support team next year when Carlsson can continue developing on a playoff team (implying loads of established talents) and against a higher level of competition?

My thoughts on these two prospects rests on the fact Verbeek reset the rebuild and I bought all in. All of Verbeek's actions so far have proven we're not taking shortcuts on this rebuild. I'm not impatient to get better because there's a bigger picture at hand. We're a fluid shitshow at both the NHL and AHL level with a rookie GM. Fantilli and Carlsson are in better situations if they remain with their current clubs, and we can't f*** up their development. An extra year with their respective clubs makes it more likely they'll stick at the NHL level.

I said in any draft that doesn't have a generational talent, not just the weak 2022 crop. Fantilli would be a number one overall caliber prospect in just about any given draft year. He's on a different tier than Beniers, McTavish etc as a prospect.

Power returning to Michigan was a surprise and was outside the norm for a number one pick. But at least he's a Dman and they take longer to development. Forwards who are on Fantilli's level pretty much always make the league right away.

Also I have no idea where you got the idea that the AHL is a lower competition level than the SHL, but that is absolutely not a statement of fact. The consensus would be that the KHL/AHL are 2A/B and there's a drop off after that.

For someone like Carlsson it comes down to fit. He's already way bigger and stronger and then average SHL player. Get him over to adapt to the NA game/ice and I doubt he needs all of next season before forcing his way into the NHL.

If you think the issue is that we don't have a proper environment in which to develop young players, well then that's something the team needs to address and not just accept. We have other vital young players already on the roster. If our early pick is NHL ready, we sure as heck can't be holding them back under concern that we aren't ready for them. That's just not a smart way to operate.

Fact is, despite all the futility around them, we are still seeing improvement from Zegras and McTavish. That should give some comfort in knowing that Fantilli wouldn't be certain to fail if he were to make the Ducks. I would strongly suspect that he's more NHL ready this fall than Z was when he first appeared. The good ones will figure it out.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad