Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Livingstone, Swankler, and Ford are 3 guys i would love to see us attempt to grab
My wish list

Livingstone
McAllister
Malinksi
Ostman

It saddens me that Riese Gaber is only 5’8”. You want a guy with his motor and tenacity And he’s infectious. He makes other kids step their game up. Literally through example. But that small frame though. Somebody will most likely get him but man I just see his last name unofficially switching to “LTIR” an awful lot. But I wouldn’t be surprised that I ended up regretting this post.

If Thrun decides to tell ANA to go pound sand, I’d like to be in on that again as rumored. Honestly, I think he’d be kind of dumb not to sign there. He could literally step right in on their defense right now.

There’s a bunch of kids who would impress but there kinda all in that bottom 6 or 6/7 D bucket (or only Freshman/Sophomores) and I’d like to see us go after some higher ceiling FA’s and with quicker paths to Syracuse

I’d wait on Hryckowian and Swankler (Hopefully not scooped up this go around)

Hell I’d like it if Magnus Chrona was brought back into the fold for Syracuse if he turns his nose up to San Jose. Wishful thinking though

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
My wish list

Livingstone
McAllister
Malinksi
Ostman

It saddens me that Riese Gaber is only 5’8”. You want a guy with his motor and tenacity And he’s infectious. He makes other kids step their game up. Literally through example. But that small frame though. Somebody will most likely get him but man I just see his last name unofficially switching to “LTIR” an awful lot. But I wouldn’t be surprised that I ended up regretting this post.

If Thrun decides to tell ANA to go pound sand, I’d like to be in on that again as rumored. Honestly, I think he’d be kind of dumb not to sign there. He could literally step right in on their defense right now.

There’s a bunch of kids who would impress but there kinda all in that bottom 6 or 6/7 D bucket (or only Freshman/Sophomores) and I’d like to see us go after some higher ceiling FA’s and with quicker paths to Syracuse

I’d wait on Hryckowian and Swankler (Hopefully not scooped up this go around)

Hell I’d like it if Magnus Chrona was brought back into the fold for Syracuse if he turns his nose up to San Jose. Wishful thinking though
Thrun is a SJ prospect now. Maybe even better odds he could make their team.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I hear a lot of bullshit about a guy that plays Selke-caliber defense as a forward and is a half PPG after having f***ing shoulder surgery in the offseason and missing 20 games relative to his teammates, yet a whole bunch of love for a guy like Paul who isn't injured but hasn't had a multipoint game since just after new years. Ross Colton is another who hasn't produced as much - 5 points since the end of January?

Like I can't believe how many of you forgot just how good Cirelli is and are ready to jump ship because of a bad stretch.
The issue with Cirelli is he remains slotted in a spot where point production is critical. No one expects Point type numbers from him but having a 40 goal guy and Killer 20 to 25 goal last couple years Cirelli has not supported his line mates. He is a streaky player have a three game stretch where he has mutiple point then goes cold for long periods. This is the second time since Cirelli returned from injury this year that Coop has moved Stammer to the top line. The first time was to push Stammer to 500 goals.

So much is made of his defense and FO% which is his strength and if he were at 3.5 mil and centering the 3rd line there would not be as much criticism.

The bottom line Coop wants Paul to push this 3rd line in hopes that it would be as effective as the Gourde line was. He has not found that yet. Hagel now has 13 games without a goal so I don’t expect Coop to put him back to 1st line anytime soon. Since Paul was moved down to make room for Cirelli Killorns 5 on 5 number have dropped with Cirellli.

Currently scoring is a issue and as the goals allowed continues to rise the pressure to score only increases.

As time goes on the critical eye on Cirelli will only magnify. When he replaced Johnson on the 2nd TJ was scorched by opinion here. The rumblings have already started with Cirelli. If he can not become a 20 goal 50 point center his future is limited. If he remains at 40 points at his new cap hit he becomes untradeable.

Reactions: Zwui21

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Paul makes 3M for the next 6 years, plays on the 3rd line and some guy is wondering why he isn't criticized for putting up multi point nights looool

Paul (3.1M) + Colton (1.1M) is still less than Cirelli on his current contract

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Hagel is put on a line with Cirelli and his offensive production dries up? Color me surprised.
It looks like last playoff run. Zone time, possession, no goals. It's a really good shutdown/defensive line but offers absolutely nothing offensively.

Cooper needs to go back to basics here:

Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Paul - Stamkos
Colton - Cirelli - Jeannot
Maroon - Eyssimont - Perry
PEB

Yeah, maybe it's not ideal having Paul as a 2C but theres chemistry with Stamkos and Killorn and Cirelli can be utilized properly. I like Paul's offensive game over Cirellis at the moment. Seen too many plays die on 6irellis stick lately.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It looks like last playoff run. Zone time, possession, no goals. It's a really good shutdown/defensive line but offers absolutely nothing offensively.

Cooper needs to go back to basics here:

Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Paul - Stamkos
Colton - Cirelli - Jeannot
Maroon - Eyssimont - Perry
PEB

Yeah, maybe it's not ideal having Paul as a 2C but theres chemistry with Stamkos and Killorn and Cirelli can be utilized properly. I like Paul's offensive game over Cirellis at the moment. Seen too many plays die on 6irellis stick lately.
Why Coop refuses to this is beyond me. It is like he’s living in ground hog day has to relearn every game how poor the bottom 9 are doing since Cirellis return.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The lack of production from the “2nd line” is definitely concerning. Quite frankly both Hagel and Stammer have stopped scoring goals regardless of the line they are on. Perhaps all the back and forth is having a negative impact
I feel like there's been a lot less back and forth than most years.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I dont think scoring is the concern. It's weather we can play our recipe when it matters most and that will depend on better defense than we've seen and vasi to be better which I'm counting on them being better for playoffs but how much I dont know..

Reactions: Peacefool

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Maybe this is all a bait and switch, Coop is just playing mind games with the league making them think the defense sucks, that Vasy sucks, that all our forwards are getting cold.
I was thinking of this at work, how much of the tinkering and trying things is him/them finding different combos/ways to win.

Sadly, pretty much none of it has worked if so. I don't think that's what it is but the thought did cross my mind. I just don't get why he didn't spend a full season letting Paul gel with two guys he was playing great with. Killorn looks mediocre since that switch too.

It was actually a very good second line. For once.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I was thinking of this at work, how much of the tinkering and trying things is him/them finding different combos/ways to win.

Sadly, pretty much none of it has worked if so. I don't think that's what it is but the thought did cross my mind. I just don't get why he didn't spend a full season letting Paul gel with two guys he was playing great with. Killorn looks mediocre since that switch too.

It was actually a very good second line. For once.
Coop got stubborn IMO. He had an idea of what Paul was supposed to be and who he was supposed to play with. Even though Paul naturally developed chemistry with unlikely linemates, instead.of nurturing it and running with it, he's digging he's heels in the sand and forcing square peg round hole.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coop got stubborn IMO. He had an idea of what Paul was supposed to be and who he was supposed to play with. Even though Paul naturally developed chemistry with unlikely linemates, instead.of nurturing it and running with it, he's digging he's heels in the sand and forcing square peg round hole.
Our 2nd line NEVER produces, going back a decade. And when it does, the 1st line stops producing, thus making the 2nd line the 1st line. Or they get broken up.

That said, I think Coop knows that our lines vs. Toronto aren't gonna be the same as we see in the regular season. We scraped by them last year, largely in part to an emergency line shake up. To think we can beat them this year without similar lines feels crazy even by Cooper's standards.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I dont think scoring is the concern. It's weather we can play our recipe when it matters most and that will depend on better defense than we've seen and vasi to be better which I'm counting on them being better for playoffs but how much I dont know..
Even their goals against is one of the best ones on the list though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Even their goals against is one of the best ones on the list though.
I kno the topic is the second line I was thinking as a team. I think we got scoring at all the lines or capability of it. I think my question going forward for this team is without mcd and rutta and then we miss guys like Palat there too are we able to defend the way we want when it matters? I think much of that also depended on vasi being vasi too and maybe more so this time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I kno the topic is the second line I was thinking as a team. I think we got scoring at all the lines or capability of it. I think my question going forward for this team is without mcd and rutta and then we miss guys like Palat there too are we able to defend the way we want when it matters? I think much of that also depended on vasi being vasi too and maybe more so this time.
We will need more of a miracle from Vasy this year for sure. While losing those three guys--including Rutta--definitely hurts, I think a lot of our defensive style in the playoffs comes down to buy-in from top to bottom. I think we will get that, but I also think we are gonna break down physically a lot like we did last year.

I think we are gonna try to beat up the Leafs physically and make them not want to show up to the rink. I don't think it will be enough to win the series though. They're deeper this year, and we are less prepared to deal with a multi-wave attack.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
We will need more of a miracle from Vasy this year for sure. While losing those three guys--including Rutta--definitely hurts, I think a lot of our defensive style in the playoffs comes down to buy-in from top to bottom. I think we will get that, but I also think we are gonna break down physically a lot like we did last year.

I think we are gonna try to beat up the Leafs physically and make them not want to show up to the rink. I don't think it will be enough to win the series though. They're deeper this year, and we are less prepared to deal with a multi-wave attack.
Agreed. We are going to look so stuck in mud it's gonna be sad.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If Vasi is a wall to start we have a great chance as teams will lose confidence and you can just play defense out, if he takes 4-5 games to start getting into form like the last 2 years we're probably toast.

Reactions: Hoek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad