Proposal: 2022 1st Overall for Matthew Tkachuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If the Devils win the lottery, I would definitely consider trading the pick to Calgary for Tkachuk,

Then I would sign Tkachuk to the Hughes deal. 8x8.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Did you not look at the stats you just posted? Add in that EP faces significantly worse competition and has better zone starts and it becomes pretty obvious who the better possession player is.

EP also averages significantly less points per season. You make out like he's outproduced Tkachuk other than years played. He hasn't.

I see nothing that counters what I'm saying, short of possession quality, which I skimmed over on my first run. That's one element versus the rest.

Pettersson has 192 points in 222 games, for 0.8648 PPG, and with 82 goals for 0.4271 GPG

Tkachuk has 342 points in 403, 0.8486 PPG, 137 goals in as many games is 0.3399 GPG.

Those are funny numbers for a "significantly better" player.

You're right. Matheson's suplex, KK's knee on knee, and a hyper extended wrist from getting it caught on a Jet's shin pad are all fluke injuries, as is the seemingly random nature of who caught covid on this team, but that will even out. 180 games, the difference in games played, is about two full seasons of games, which is Tkachuk's early start on Pettersson. If Pettersson scores close, even at 85% or so, to the same rate, he handily beats Tkachuk here too. So I feel a per game basis is merited here. Otherwise, rookie and sophomore years, Pettersson beats Tkachuk, Tkachuk's career year so far beats Pettersson being out with his wrist injury and covid, of course, and we'll see what year four looks like.

Even on focusing on this stuff, it doesn't fix reverse the rest, or overall message, of my original statement.

Reactions: Trojans86

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I see nothing that counters what I'm saying, short of possession quality, which I skimmed over on my first run. That's one element versus the rest.

Pettersson has 192 points in 222 games, for 0.8648 PPG, and with 82 goals for 0.4271 GPG

Tkachuk has 342 points in 403, 0.8486 PPG, 137 goals in as many games is 0.3399 GPG.

Those are funny numbers for a "significantly better" player.

You're right. Matheson's suplex, KK's knee on knee, and a hyper extended wrist from getting it caught on a Jet's shin pad are all fluke injuries, as is the seemingly random nature of who caught covid on this team, but that will even out. 180 games, the difference in games played, is about two full seasons of games, which is Tkachuk's early start on Pettersson. If Pettersson scores close, even at 85% or so, to the same rate, he handily beats Tkachuk here too. So I feel a per game basis is merited here. Otherwise, rookie and sophomore years, Pettersson beats Tkachuk, Tkachuk's career year so far beats Pettersson being out with his wrist injury and covid, of course, and we'll see what year four looks like.

Even on focusing on this stuff, it doesn't fix reverse the rest, or overall message, of my original statement.
66, 66, 21, 39. These are EPs point totals in his career. In the same time period Tkachuk has 77, 61, 43 and 64.

Tkachuk has vastly outproduced Pettersson. If you want to talk about Tuesdays nights when the sun is at a 43 degree angle in Philadelphia I have no interest in the conversation.

If you want to talk just this season Tkachuk is on pace for 42 goals, 99 points and a +53 season. EP is on pace for 26 goals 61 points +1.

Again, production is not close. Add in the physical dimension and that he leads all players in the league in penalties drawn and plays harder minutes and I'm not sure how anyone being intellectually honest could think EP is better than Tkachuk.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
66, 66, 21, 39. These are EPs point totals in his career. In the same time period Tkachuk has 77, 61, 43 and 64.

Tkachuk has vastly outproduced Pettersson. If you want to talk about Tuesdays nights when the sun is at a 43 degree angle in Philadelphia I have no interest in the conversation.

If you want to talk just this season Tkachuk is on pace for 42 goals, 99 points and a +53 season. EP is on pace for 26 goals 61 points +1.

Again, production is not close. Add in the physical dimension and that he leads all players in the league in penalties drawn and plays harder minutes and I'm not sure how anyone being intellectually honest could think EP is better than Tkachuk.

His first seasons were 48, 49, 77, 61 though.

You're the one twisting what I'm saying, so by all means.

You've been arguing that per game and rates of scoring aren't valid ways to measure this though.

I acknowledged the "physical dimension" in his hits. Aren't blocked shots part of that though? And is having 5 times the number of penalty minutes per game suddenly a plus too? How're his playoff performances? Can Tkachuk play more than wing?

You can argue that Tkachuk is "significantly better" all you want, you're the one being intellectually dishonest. You continuously troll Canucks threads, and clearly made up your mind before looking at any thing that could back you up. Your standards and criteria shift with every post, probably every word you type.

Reactions: Trojans86

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
There have been rumblings that Tkachuk isn’t too happy in Calgary and after next season wants to go UFA and control his own destiny.
Calgary should grant any potential trading team to negotiate with his agent on an ext before hand, so they can get max value from trading him

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Those contract negotiations with the Tkachuk clan are always fun.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Zorro

Gaud

May 11, 2017
1. W<C
2. Wright is projected to be a franchise player
3. Wright is cost-controlled for X years
4. The team trading #1 is rebuilding; younger talent makes more sense, even though MT is only 24

Reactions: periferal

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'd love him on Montreal. Would 100% trade anything from 6th to 10th overall for him. Would add little sweetener like Norlinder to get it done as well.

1st to 5th are looking good this year and I wouldn't do those.

Tkachuk - Suzuki - Caufield ------ YES GUY!

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
24 years old and well over PPG. Going to come close to 40 heals this year.
Not many picks are going to turn out that good.
He is easily worth a top 5.
Not when the guy only has a yera or 2 of control left, and will cost your north of 7+M$ / year even on a 2 year deal due to his QO.

8 years of Shane Wight is better than 2 years of Tkatchuk, ESPECIALLY for a team that drafts in the top5, not matter how you put it. Those etams are rebuilding and trading a top5/10 pick for a guy you'll have control over for 2 more years is completelly stupid

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Not when the guy only has a yera or 2 of control left, and will cost your north of 7+M$ / year even on a 2 year deal due to his QO.

8 years of Shane Wight is better than 2 years of Tkatchuk, ESPECIALLY for a team that drafts in the top5, not matter how you put it. Those etams are rebuilding and trading a top5/10 pick for a guy you'll have control over for 2 more years is completelly stupid

Im not talking about any specific player.
MT is worth more than a top 5 pick. Period.
Chances of any of those pics becoming what MT is not likely.

Also, you can resign him. And he is only 24.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Im not talking about any specific player.
MT is worth more than a top 5 pick. Period.
Chances of any of those pics becoming what MT is not likely.

Also, you can resign him. And he is only 24.
He has 2 year of RFA left @ 7+ M a year. No rebuilding team will take that.

And look at how Brady handled his negociation, they are like their father, get as much as you can ASAP. Tkatchuk will either ask for a 80M$ contract a la Panarin, or sign for 2 years @ 9M and head straight to UFA.

No team oicking in the top5 want part ot that crap. ELC > Tkachuk

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
2015-2019

A // McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Heiskanen, Makar, Petterson, Dahlin, Svechnikov, J Hughes
B // Marner, Hanifin, Laine, Dubois, Hischier
C // Strome, Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Patrick, Hayton, Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Dach, Byram, Turcotte

A group is worth more than Matthew Tkachuk. B group is worth about the same. C group is worth less. So ... yeah, I'd say Matt Tkachuk is exactly worth a typical 3OA or 5 OA pick.
not when one factors in cost-control at what? 5 years with RFA's?

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
He has 2 year of RFA left @ 7+ M a year. No rebuilding team will take that.

And look at how Brady handled his negociation, they are like their father, get as much as you can ASAP. Tkatchuk will either ask for a 80M$ contract a la Panarin, or sign for 2 years @ 9M and head straight to UFA.

No team oicking in the top5 want part ot that crap. ELC > Tkachuk

That’s a post packed full of assumptions.
Also, he is on pace for almost 100 points and 40 goals. That is worth 9-10 these days.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
This thread would be dead long ago if someone made it Marner for 1OA instead.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This is totally dependent on the team that wins the first overall. Someone starting a rebuild or early in the process would not trade the 1st overall for MT. He would not fit in with their time line. Teams like AZ or Montreal would value the pick over the player - just do to beginning the rebuilding process.

However, there could be a team that is getting ready to exit their rebuild or near the end of it that would see him as part of the core and would be willing to commit long term dollars to him. They would have ELCs for key players already so contact wouldn't be an issue for them. I have seen some other fans of Ottawa or the Devils chimed into say they would make the deal. They are exiting the rebuild and he would be a great addition and speed up the cup contender status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad