Proposal: 2022 1st Overall for Matthew Tkachuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It wouldn’t interest whoever is picking #1. The value of Shane Wright on ELC for three years greatly outweighs tkachuk plus the many years of team control and positional value ( c vs winger)

Any smart team would make it a protected first rounder to avoid that sort of issue.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Any smart team would make it a protected first rounder to avoid that sort of issue.
He clearly states 1st Oa pick in the title.

Tkatchuk isn't worth a top5 pick, he's a UFA at the end kf his contract and will be looking ar a BIG payday.

Reactions: CapSpace

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'm sure Montreal, Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa and Seattle are all dying to win the lotto to draft 1st ov and trade the chance at Shane Wright for Matt Tkachuk and his 7+ million qualifying offer.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
He clearly states 1st Oa pick in the title.

Tkatchuk isn't worth a top5 pick, he's a UFA at the end kf his contract and will be looking ar a BIG payday.
2015-2019

A // McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Heiskanen, Makar, Petterson, Dahlin, Svechnikov, J Hughes
B // Marner, Hanifin, Laine, Dubois, Hischier
C // Strome, Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Patrick, Hayton, Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Dach, Byram, Turcotte

A group is worth more than Matthew Tkachuk. B group is worth about the same. C group is worth less. So ... yeah, I'd say Matt Tkachuk is exactly worth a typical 3OA or 5 OA pick.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
2015-2019

A // McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Heiskanen, Makar, Petterson, Dahlin, Svechnikov, J Hughes
C // Strome, Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Patrick, Hayton, Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Dach, Byram, Turcotte

A group is worth more than Matthew Tkachuk. B group is worth about the same. C group is worth less. So ... yeah, I'd say Matt Tkachuk is exactly worth a typical 3OA or 5 OA pick.
… with an extension. A top 5 pick to rent him for a year is bad idea.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
2015-2019

Yep. I don't think there is a guarantee that any player in this draft is going to better than Matthew Thachuk. That being said, I wouldn't trade the 1OA pick if Kraken end up with it. Or even a top-5 pick for that matter. Most teams picking that high are more than a Matthew Tkachuk away from being competitive. The Kraken most certainly are. And it's better to have a cost controlled player while the team improves over the next few seasons.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Tkachuk is a good player, but he's also has a qualifying offer of $9M and is one year (with arbitration) from being a UFA. He's got the hammer and doesn't seem afraid to use it.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
The premise behind having a 1st overall pick is your team is brutal with holes everywhere. The plus' of drafting at 1OA means you get the pick of the best young talent in the world and have them under team control at cost-friendly rates for several years.

Trading for Tkachuk is a win-now move OR a move with the guise that this season was an outlier due to injuries, suspensions, etc and the team will do a complete 180 next season.

I don't think anyone in the top 5 is remotely close to competing in the next 2 years with Tkachuk on the roster. Nor do they provide situations that would be attractive for Tkachuk as a FA to sign longterm necessarily. Therefore it wouldn't make sense for the team trading away the 1OA strictly from a franchise/roster building perspective. It has nothing to do with whether Tkachuk is/will/won't be better than whoever they pick.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
As the Canucks will never win the lottery (I think we could hold every single one of the 16 lottery picks, and still lose the lottery), I'd be willing to trade what ever the highest pick we get is this year for Tkachuk.

So I'm not saying protected, but yeah, it might as well be.:laugh:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
2015-2019

Tkachuk is significantly better than Petterson, Hughes and Dahlin. He's comparable to Eichel and Svechnikov.

Hanifin and Hischier aren't even remotely comparable. Hanifin is the 4th or 5th best defenseman for the Flames.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So if the Flames had the 1st overall pick, you'd trade it for Nazem Kadri?
One player is a UFA the other isn't. Not comparable. I wouldn't trade 1OA for Tkachuk but some of the comparisons being drawn here are pretty ridiculous.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Tkachuk is significantly better than Petterson

I won't waste my time with the rest of this statement, but not according to points per game, any posession metrics, give aways vs. takeaways, blocked shots, time on ice, powerplay time and ppg, short handed time, faceoffs (Pettersson playing the more important center position and all), Calder, and oddly Byng, votes, and playoff performances.

Tkachuk wins in total points (due to having 2 years and 181 games more in his career) and hits, which he nails Pettersson and probably most players in.

Would love Tkachuk on the Canucks, but let's not get things twisted here.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I won't waste my time with the rest of this statement, but not according to points per game, any posession metrics, give aways vs. takeaways, blocked shots, time on ice, powerplay time and ppg, short handed time, faceoffs (Pettersson playing the more important center position and all), Calder, and oddly Byng, votes, and playoff performances.

Tkachuk wins in total points (due to having 2 years and 181 games more in his career) and hits, which he nails Pettersson and probably most players in.

Would love Tkachuk on the Canucks, but let's not get things twisted here.
Lots false with this post. Tkachuk has vastly better possession numbers than EP. It's not even close. He's 3rd in the NHL since he came into the league.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Corsi or Fenwick? Doesn't matter if we look at career numbers, like with all other stats.

Here:
Elias Pettersson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Matthew Tkachuk Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Tkachuk is third in what, exactly? What measurable stat are we comparing here?

And what else is false?
Did you not look at the stats you just posted? Add in that EP faces significantly worse competition and has better zone starts and it becomes pretty obvious who the better possession player is.

EP also averages significantly less points per season. You make out like he's outproduced Tkachuk other than years played. He hasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad