Patriots/NFL 2021 Season II: 1-2; Week 4 vs. TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
all hyperbole. Gronk announced his intentions right after the superbowl. he had no effect on 2019
Not true... He retired March 24. He left the Patriots hanging that offseason. He hinted at retirement after multiple seasons, so the Patriots who have no reason to believe anything until the papers were filed

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Not true... He retired March 24. He left the Patriots hanging that offseason. He hinted at retirement after multiple seasons, so the Patriots who have no reason to believe anything until the papers were filed

he hinted retirement after Bill tried to trade him to Detroit. at the end of the day you can try to place blame on the players for tiring of bills mood swings but the GM bears responsibility if they cant keep the talent

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Because, no one gets special treatment in NE. Gronk and Brady wanted special treatment. Ofcourse his contract was tied to his health, he had a long history of being banged up. That's how it works. His salary was right in line with his peers.

So you agree he had virtually no shot to attain the goals laid out? Good.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
So you agree he had virtually no shot to attain the goals laid out? Good.
They were attainable numbers if he played. Pretty straight forward if you ask me. Even if you throw out the incentives he payed in line with his peers. The Patriots didn't screw him on his contract

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Felger and Mazz had an interesting take this afternoon of the Pats just playing the short game purposely until they play the Bucs week 4 and then let Mac try to basically 'let it all hang out' (old John Madden quote and im paraphrasing) against Brady and the Bucs.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Felger and Mazz had an interesting take this afternoon of the Pats just playing the short game purposely until they play the Bucs week 4 and then let Mac try to basically 'let it all hang out' (old John Madden quote and im paraphrasing) against Brady and the Bucs.
Wouldn't be the first time they did something like that. McDaniels has historically not put plays on tape and saved them till later in the season or for bigger games

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
NFL extending wild-card round to Monday night

Can't imagine that's gonna go over well with players and coaches. Seems entirely unnecessary to me.

It seems pretty unfair on the surface, but I'd presume the winner of that would be locked into the Sunday slot of divisional week, which would be no different technically than winning your WC game on Sunday then drawing the Saturday afternoon divisional round game. So basically the NFL can do whatever it wants to expand its reach into the primetime schedule.

I'd absolutely hate having to have my team in the MNF playoff game though. Seems like it would be brutal to have to wait for it all weekend.

Reactions: CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They were attainable numbers if he played. Pretty straight forward if you ask me. Even if you throw out the incentives he payed in line with his peers. The Patriots didn't screw him on his contract

How healthy had he been up to that point? Again, it's really easy to say you'll give someone a bunch of money if they stay healthy, when they haven't done that in years. And it doesn't make that realistic.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
How healthy had he been up to that point? Again, it's really easy to say you'll give someone a bunch of money if they stay healthy, when they haven't done that in years. And it doesn't make that realistic.

Must have been pretty healthy based upon the base salary of that contract. No team is throwing around that kind of money if the player isn't in decent shape

Reactions: DangleCity

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Must have been pretty healthy based upon the base salary of that contract. No team is throwing around that kind of money if the player isn't in decent shape

He already had the contract. What we're talking about here is the extra bonus money they gave him a chance to earn because by that point the long term deal he'd signed way back when was like 4th or 5th highest for the position. The guaranteed money was also long gone by then, and with football, a contract is really only worth the guarantee. So instead of simply paying him a few extra bones, they made it so he had to stay healthy and earn it, something which he hadn't done since his second year in the league, which was the last season he played all 16 games.

They did this with Brady around the same time too, after he was also being paid significantly less than what he was worth and what the top QBs were making.

And this is a same church different pew kind of scenario with Stefan Gillmore right now. He wanted more to play last year, so they converted money from this year and gave it to him early. Problem is, they now expect him to play for just the remainder of what wasn't converted early, and he basically refused and played up an injury so they can't fine him for holding out. At the end of the day, they outplayed their deals, and they want to be compensated fairly but the Pats always have to leverage someone whenever they want. Which is dumb, because they certainly didn't like it when Welker did it to them.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone's so concerned about bitching about Brady and Gronk again that it's almost like everyone is ignoring the Saints this week.

Can't remember a more overlooked early regular season game. If we get week 1 Jameis it could be a long day, but if we get week 2 Jameis it'll be a piece of cake. Not sure what to expect.

Reactions: Alicat

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Brady is not a bad person. For that matter, neither is Bill. Brady is definitely "weird" and Guerrero is shady but I can't call Brady a bad person.

Also coming in for a preemptive strike. Anyone who boos Brady at this upcoming game is a complete crybaby moron who should have their tickets taken away.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ah yes, the piece of shit who Brady can't stop vouching for.

Tom Brady: bad person? MAYBE.

There's a little bit more than a touch of truth to that. AB is a legit bad person. Alex Guerrero is a snake oil salesman. Brady surely has to be aware of the truth that his $20 coconut water doesn't really prevent concussions, so Brady is likely complicit. And if you're willing to lie to people to make a buck, what else are you willing to do? Still a great player, but as a person? Jury is out.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Everyone's so concerned about bitching about Brady and Gronk again that it's almost like everyone is ignoring the Saints this week.

Can't remember a more overlooked early regular season game. If we get week 1 Jameis it could be a long day, but if we get week 2 Jameis it'll be a piece of cake. Not sure what to expect.

Payton is one of the few coaches in the league that you can say isn't necessarily at a disadvantage against Belichick. Most of the time, BB is given the advantage in that area against every other head coach. I think the Saints roster overall is probably a little better than the Pats, so they could very easily come in and win. The x factor is Winston. If he plays well, I could see the Saints winning going away. The problem is that's a big if.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad