Red Sox/MLB 2021 Regular Season V - Jerry Remy stepping away from broadcasts to undergo lung cancer treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
ump rings up JD on a pitch he called a ball twice in the at bat, one that is inside and off the plate

costs the Sox at least 1 run

Martinez has been killing the Sox lately.

Even in that at bat he was in the perfect hitter's count (3 and 1) and whiffs on a marginal strike. If you are swinging 3-1 it better be just what you are looking for, not a pitch you can't even make contact with. Especially with a runner on 3rd, less than two outs.

And right now, Bobby Dalbec may be the worst hitter I've ever seen for the Sox. Granted, I've only been watching the Sox for over 60 years, but still....Not counting pitchers, of course. Although there were a few in the 1960s that were clearly better hitters.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Heard Eck say that Valdez told Cora he could throw 200 pitches if he needed to.

So after throwing 38 and retiring all 8 batters he faced, why the need to take him out?

Reactions: Mione134

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Even in that at bat he was in the perfect hitter's count (3 and 1) and whiffs on a marginal strike. If you are swinging 3-1 it better be just what you are looking for, not a pitch you can't even make contact with. Especially with a runner on 3rd, less than two outs.

And right now, Bobby Dalbec may be the worst hitter I've ever seen for the Sox. Granted, I've only been watching the Sox for over 60 years, but still....Not counting pitchers, of course. Although there were a few in the 1960s that were clearly better hitters.
He just looks so overmatched at the plate every time he's up.

Reactions: sarge88

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They're just all in a slump. It's the low point of the season. Just have to work out of it and get the offense on track again. Sale and Seabold will dramatically change the rotation. Just have to get hitting again

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from espn.com:

J.R. Richard, a two-time National League strikeout champion with the Houston Astros whose career was cut short in 1980 by a stroke, died Thursday at the age of 71, the team announced.

The Astros did not provide further details.

In 10 seasons with the Astros, Richard was 107-71 with a 3.15 ERA and 1,493 strikeouts -- including 313 in 1979, which stood as the team's single-season record until Gerrit Cole surpassed it in 2019. He still ranks tied for second in team history for career ERA, third in strikeouts -- behind only Nolan Ryan and Roy Oswalt -- and fifth in wins and shutouts (19).

"Today is a sad day for the Houston Astros as we mourn the loss of one of our franchise icons, J.R. Richard," the team said in a statement. "J.R. will forever be remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of the greatest pitchers in club history. He stood shoulder to shoulder with club icons Larry Dierker, Joe Niekro and Nolan Ryan, to form a few of the best rotations in club history."

Reactions: Aeroforce

aguineapig

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
from espn.com:

J.R. Richard, a two-time National League strikeout champion with the Houston Astros whose career was cut short in 1980 by a stroke, died Thursday at the age of 71, the team announced.

In 10 seasons with the Astros, Richard was 107-71 with a 3.15 ERA and 1,493 strikeouts -- including 313 in 1979, which stood as the team's single-season record until Gerrit Cole surpassed it in 2019. He still ranks tied for second in team history for career ERA, third in strikeouts -- behind only Nolan Ryan and Roy Oswalt -- and fifth in wins and shutouts (19).

"Today is a sad day for the Houston Astros as we mourn the loss of one of our franchise icons, J.R. Richard," the team said in a statement. "J.R. will forever be

remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of the greatest pitchers in club history. He stood shoulder to shoulder with club icons Larry Dierker, Joe Niekro and Nolan Ryan, to form a few of the best rotations in club history."

Before his stroke he was every bit as fearsome as Randy Johnson was in his time. A big man (6-8) with a powerful arm. I can't imagine what it was like for a hitter to face Nolan Ryan in the first game and then JR the next day (or vice versa!), truly a nightmare of 100+ mph pitches.

Reactions: Aeroforce

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
They're just all in a slump. It's the low point of the season. Just have to work out of it and get the offense on track again. Sale and Seabold will dramatically change the rotation. Just have to get hitting again

Schwarber should help with that. Sox are exciting and it’s just the beginning. Hail Chaim.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017

I’ll throw “cold streak” Jackie Bradley in the mix here. When he first came up I would have been more comfortable with with a beer league softball DH at the dish.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’ll throw “cold streak” Jackie Bradley in the mix here. When he first came up I would have been more comfortable with with a beer league softball DH at the dish.

Good choice.

And Bradley does strike out a lot.

Still he makes more contact than Dalbec.

Dalbec seems to have an endless bag of strikeout tricks. High, low, inside, outside, taking down the middle or at the knees. He does it all.

Today his first time up he fouled of the first two pitches on check swings (both were balls). Never saw that before. Then struck out swinging. So, better contact when trying to miss the ball than trying to hit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
from espn.com:

"Today is a sad day for the Houston Astros as we mourn the loss of one of our franchise icons, J.R. Richard," the team said in a statement. "J.R. will forever be remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of the greatest pitchers in club history. He stood shoulder to shoulder with club icons Larry Dierker, Joe Niekro and Nolan Ryan, to form a few of the best rotations in club history."

Covid-related apparently. Sad stuff.

He lived a hell of a life with some incredible ups and downs. Dominant pitcher, all of a sudden has everything taken from him, Tried a comeback after his stroke, ended up getting divorced twice and losing all of his money, lived under a bridge, got access to his mlb pension, met up with a minister, became an asphalt worker and got a spot to live that wasn’t under a bridge, eventually ended up a minister at the place he turned his life around at.

and it’s all stopped due to Covid. It’s robbed society so hard.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
You might not want to look at the starting pitching matchups against Blue Jays. They have the edge in each of the 4 games. And then Tampa comes to Fenway...

Reactions: smithformeragent

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Before his stroke he was every bit as fearsome as Randy Johnson was in his time. A big man (6-8) with a powerful arm. I can't imagine what it was like for a hitter to face Nolan Ryan in the first game and then JR the next day (or vice versa!), truly a nightmare of 100+ mph pitches.

My Dad went to an afternoon game in Montreal with a buddy and Richard was starting for Houston. Later that night I asked him about the game and he told me that Richard " sounded fast " the whole game. :surrender

Reactions: BMC

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
We need all the help we can get at this point.
If we are expecting Sale to save us, think again.
Anything he gives us will be gravy.
It is not realistic to expect him to go out every 5 days and give us 5-6 innings of great pitching.
It usually takes a while ( 2022 season) until his arm will be back to 100% and he is his " old self"
I wanted Gallo so badly, he hit a clutch HR for the Yanks last night.
I would have gladly taken Rizzo instead.
Not sure KS is our answer for an everyday 1B, this move forces us to keep Dalbec on the roster for defensive purposes as KS has no experience at 1B.
I am all in for us to call up Casas for the remainder of the year. He hit some bombs for the US team and has gold glove potential at 1B.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Early reports on Schwarber at first are positive. He’ll immediately be a defensive upgrade over Dalbec and will probably also be the single biggest bat upgrade any team made at the deadline

Going from Dalbec to Schwarber in the lineup will be huge. Couple that with an injection of Sale, Houck, and Seabold and they should have some life again soon

No need to call up Casas, the olympics are lower quality baseball than the majors and he has played like 2 months in AA. They have been good not great months too. The gap from AAA to the bigs is the largest it’s ever been, he can’t skip that imo

Reactions: sarge88

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I just worry about Schwarber's hammy. We saw how Arroyo got hurt stretching out. We can't afford him getting hurt there. We gotta hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad