Post-Game Talk: 2021 NHL Playoffs - Round 2: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Carolina Hurricanes

My Magic 8 Ball says...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Goodrow has been great but Coleman has been better, both have been genius moves by JBB. Coleman's really stepped up in the playoffs and is taking beating after beating to win battles, and this is coming from someone who ragged on him all year.
Idk its pretty tough to judge Barclay after 2 games, But yes Coleman is a Playoff player. The Leafs and Dubas could use a few of those.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Goodrow has been great but Coleman has been better, both have been genius moves by JBB. Coleman's really stepped up in the playoffs and is taking beating after beating to win battles, and this is coming from someone who ragged on him all year.
Looks like Coleman has another gear in the playoffs. He’s just relentless. And Goodrow is the perfect 3rd liner with a good combination of size, skating and hands.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not really, the Leafs depth is fine. The reason they lost is because their big name players didn't step up, secondary scoring is the only reason they made it to 7 games.
The leafs depth is fine LMAO.

You just like to argue..... We all know it's not just about scoring.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The leafs depth is fine LMAO.

You just like to argue..... We all know it's not just about scoring.

You really watched that series and think defense and grit from their secondary players is what cost them? You really just like to make stupid points.

Yeahh they really could've used a Coleman to win them that series :eyeroll:

Last edited:
Reactions: Discipline

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
he also had like 35 shots in 7 games. lets not pretend that "hot goalie" isn't a real scary playoff scenario for every team facing an elite talent in net.
Of course, Price played a huge part in him having only one goal but throughout the NHL season all we heard about was Matthews great scoring prowess but when it actually matters he was not able to utilize that to help them win.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Marner is a great player but he had such a terrible series, on the Leafs subreddit one of their most upvoted posts in the last 24 hours is a post calling for him to be traded.

They just hate him because of his contract, Matthew's playoff numbers are just as bad and slightly less than Marners but he's absolved of a lot.

I've always viewed it as Tavares/Matthews who benchmarked Marner though. Matthews signed his contract first and Marner outscored him in both seasons leading up to extension, the most recent one by 24 points. Those guys built the case for Marner's contract themselves.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
You really watched that series and think defense and grit from their secondary players is what cost them? You really just like to make stupid points.

Yeah I wouldn't say that their depth cost them this series. The Matthews line was actually the worst line last night from a Corsi perspective. But I do think that it's a weakness that would be exposed against a true contender. The Leafs have bigger fish to fry right now.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yea the mathews line stunk. They did a good job taking Marner away which is Mathews little buddy on the ice. I'd be seriously considering to trade one of those two today if I was a leafs fan. Probably overreacting but after that collapse you expect to say things like that.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Marner is a great player but he had such a terrible series, on the Leafs subreddit one of their most upvoted posts in the last 24 hours is a post calling for him to be traded.
Marner has 0 goals in his last 18 playoff games if you include the play in rounds. And has 5 goals in 32 playoff games. I know he isn't a goal scorer, but for $10M, you need to put up more than 5 goals in 32 games and more than 0 in 18.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Marner has 0 goals in his last 18 playoff games if you include the play in rounds. And has 5 goals in 32 playoff games. I know he isn't a goal scorer, but for $10M, you need to put up more than 5 goals in 32 games and more than 0 in 18.
He has to be a goal scoring threat or teams can just jam up his passing options like we did against Barzal last year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
After the Lightning's win, Dubas talked about the Leafs not necessarily needing all these grit guys, but of the top players adopting a different attitude.

Almost had me for a minute.

If guys are quitting in Game 7, there's some kind of personnel problem. It could be coaching, or it could be players, and it may even be fixable, but they haven't figured out how yet.

I think Toronto will want to keep their big players because they come along so rarely, but if they've got guys who aren't playoff performers, they may not be as valuable as they think they are.

I was pulling for Team Chaos (Montreal), but I was disappointed that Nylander didn't even try to get the guys going after scoring. There was like 1:30 left in the game and down two goals. That could have been a career defining moment for him, but he was already defeated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coopers Gum

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
After the Lightning's win, Dubas talked about the Leafs not necessarily needing all these grit guys, but of the top players adopting a different attitude.

If guys are quitting in Game 7, there's some kind of personnel problem. It could be coaching, or it could be players, and it may even be fixable, but they haven't figured out how yet.

I think Toronto will want to keep their big players because they come along so rarely, but if they've got guys who aren't playoff performers, they may not be as valuable as they think they are.

I was pulling for Team Chaos (Montreal), but I was disappointed that Nylander didn't even try to get the guys going after scoring. There was like 1:30 left in the game and down two goals. That could have been a career defining moment for him, but he was already defeated.

At least Nylander (and Spezza and Kerfoot) were trying to do something. Most of the rest of the Leafs (including Matthews and Marner) had already given up. Was definitely a chaotic game. I didn't really care who won, I just wanted it to go to Game 7 and it did. :laugh:

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I mean, pretty much? Also their coach was dogshit that series, Montreal sat back and Toronto kept trying to attack with straight line speed over and over. Montreal isn't a good team, if they'd slowed things down and played more of a cycle game they'd have won easily.

But yeah by the 2nd period they looked like they were done, absolutely nothing from their leaders. Thornton just moping on the bench, I thought Kerfoot was their most impressive player, at least he was trying.

Reactions: The Macho King

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think they could have used a Palat though. Or a Killorn. Somebody who can bring out the best in star players. I also think they will be a legit contender when Morgan Reilly is their #2.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think they could have used a Palat though. Or a Killorn. Somebody who can bring out the best in star players. I also think they will be a legit contender when Morgan Reilly is their #2.
I was saying to my buddy who is a Leaf fan that the Leafs have two #2 Defenseman and one #4 Defenseman. They could have Vasy in net and that wouldn't help.

If anyone is wondering I consider Muzzin a #2 Defenseman and Brodie a #4.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
i know we make jokes about "the switch" constantly, but its kinda funny when other team fanbases are chill with "we were right there with them" when it's clear the lightning are attempting to contain the games and conserve. its the biggest difference between a team putting up seven on their opponents (colorado) and a team that is confident with winning a game 2-1. one team knows how long of a post season it really is.

on the other hand they've all been really nice and i haven't been able to mock the NASCARolina fans.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Can someone please explain to me what the hell it was that I watched last night? I mean, I dont remember ever seeing a playoff game that awful and dull from both teams in my life. Am I missing some strategic chess being played out that I just dont understand?

Both teams were brutally bad, dull, low energy, timid, awful passing, just bad and boring all around. Both teams deserved to lose and the team that deserved to lose more actually won lol

It was like I was watching a preseason game. If the crowd wasn't hot it would have been identical to a game in October.

I've never seen such a playoff hockey game in my life. Weird...

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can someone please explain to me what the hell it was that I watched last night? I mean, I dont remember ever seeing a playoff game that awful and dull from both teams in my life. Am I missing some strategic chess being played out that I just dont understand?

Both teams were brutally bad, dull, low energy, timid, awful passing, just bad and boring all around. Both teams deserved to lose and the team that deserved to lose more actually won lol

It was like I was watching a preseason game. If the crowd wasn't hot it would have been identical to a game in October.

I've never seen such a playoff hockey game in my life. Weird...
I think you are indeed missing the strategic chess. Both teams are trying very hard to not make mistakes and to pounce when the other team does. Our pouncers are better, and our goalie is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad