2021 Coyotes Roster Discussion Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
OEL was playing top pairing minutes when he was 19 or 20. OEL was sound then and he is sound now even though he has slowed a bit. Chychrun is average or below on D right now, he is far from sound, and he isn't anywhere close to OEL on D. Chych got way more goals and took way more shots then anyone on the team to get them. OEL took less shots and had a very low shooting percentage. Chych is our MVP no doubt this year but he is far from a great defensive player. I like him and hope he keeps improving and gets there. i hope OEL rebounds as well.
I would keep both going forward. We trade OEL other teams are going to beat up on Chychrun, just like they have with OEL over the years. I thought OEL played solid this year, the way it sounds BA and OEL himself thought otherwise, and BA is the boss.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Daniel Briere part deux if that happens.

Maybe it'd be reported that way by Craig, but the context is way different this time - small skilled wingers are not the overlooked commodity they were when we cashed out Danny, and the trade balance would be a lot better for us this time around.

What does a Garland extension look like and what is his durability?

I'd guesstimate $3 - 4M for five years...? I dunno. Garland's agent has a great argument about his offensive prowess and drive, but BA will also have a great argument about his risk factor, injury history, and streakiness. Should be interesting times.

Just go sign Stepan for cheap center depth until Jeník is ready.

I know you're being sarcastic but I'm too old for my blood pressure to skyrocket this high.

Plus minus is not a good metric to judge defensive ability.

I agree with you on this somewhat, but when the delta is this large from one player to the next, it's eye-catching. The fact that OEL is on the ice for more goals against than anyone else on the team - by far - suggests how he was used, but also suggests that he wasn't on the ice for a lot of goals for either. Definitely not a strict metric, but it's still not a great look.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Garland and Eichel played youth hockey together...I think against each other and not on the same team, but they know each other.

Bunting - Eichel - Garland would be a nice top line

Let's pump the brakes a little on Bunting. He had a good run, but Fischer has in the past too and look how he turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bunting, but I think we can aim a little higher for the 1LW for the time being until we get closer to camp.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Let's pump the brakes a little on Bunting. He had a good run, but Fischer has in the past too and look how he turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bunting, but I think we can aim a little higher for the 1LW for the time being until we get closer to camp.

Olofson says hi.

I agree to pump the breaks on Bunting, but a player like him will excel with a player like Eichel. What an Eichel type player does is let everyone play on lines and spots on the roster where they can excel. Pop Bunting on a line with Eich and he potentially is putting up 25g, 50p. Put him on a line with Dvo and he is probably more like a 15g, 30p guy if everything goes right. This gives you so much flexibility because you don't have to stack your best players on one line. Role players can play their roles throughout the line up and still put up points. Secondary scoring is much easier to find because those players are playing against lesser competition.

Reactions: sundance74

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We are going into the Central next season. We will not have an easy road into the playoffs like we have had the past 2 seasons. If we can get Eichel we take him, but the odds are he will have at least one non playoff season with us. We shouldn't trade draft picks because even with Eichel we will need to retool, if not thoroughly rebuild. Eichel would save us 2 years on a rebuild. We would still need 1 high draft pick next year to pan out. I give up Chychrun. We have a top pair D in Tucson. We don't have a 1C anywhere in the system.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

I love Bunting but I’m with you. We lived through a similar surge by Klinkhammer and saw how that turned out.

Reactions: Jakey53

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
The Natty Hatty podcast brought up our veteran leadership and how it’s likely Kessel will not be back next season.

They also mentioned OEL will likely be shopped but got sidetracked by talking about Kessel before they could get into it

Big, big offseason coming

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There does appear to be good chemistry between Bunting and Garland, that is more a reason for me to pair the two when making projections. I think when you boil it down, he's more likely to be a 3rd line player but you never really know a players ceiling.
Or floor. Hayton take a bow.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017

Admittedly I know nothing about this Sportbook...but they have the Yotes with the 3rd best odds for Eichel next season.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Its more about his chemistry with Garland and him being a player that goes to the net hard that puts him on that line...not him being “a #1 LW.” I think he would continue to do well playing with those two guys assuming he kept going to net like he was.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Its more about his chemistry with Garland and him being a player that goes to the net hard that puts him on that line...not him being “a #1 LW.” I think he would continue to do well playing with those two guys assuming he kept going to net like he was.

On a "real" team, Bunting would be the ideal 3LW - he's got sand, he's got scoring touch, and he's a good grinder.

Had the Coyotes stayed exactly how they were this season for next season, Bunting would have to play a bit above his station as our 2LW. But I'm hoping that BA will make that unnecessary.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I feel like people saying we’re in on Eichel is like a Brandon Yip being voted to the all-star game sorta thing
It really doesn't seem that far fetched. I believe we have the pieces to get a deal done, the two big questions are how many of those pieces need to go to Buffalo to facilitate the trade and are the other teams capable of topping out best offer. The 3rd and more perimeter question I would have is how motivated is Buffalo to move Eichel out of the division/conference.

If the answer to question 3 is "highly" or "explicitly" than I think it comes down to us and the Kings, at which point the Kings COULD blow our offer out of the water. Where we may shine is our willingness to give Buffalo more quantity. LA has a lot of mid to high quality center prospect, their motivation to overspend may be quite low. We have 30 years without a top 20 center more or less, our GM has publicly stated that you build your team down the middle, emphasized the center position and has made comments around coaching selections that reinforce a stance that BA thinks centers are the most important position.

When you take all of that into mind, albeit speculative, we are primed to overspend for Eichel and make a significant push for his services. At 24, he has the ability to have 5+ years of elite on ice result, barring injury. He can still fall into our timeline for success.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It really doesn't seem that far fetched. I believe we have the pieces to get a deal done, the two big questions are how many of those pieces need to go to Buffalo to facilitate the trade and are the other teams capable of topping out best offer. The 3rd and more perimeter question I would have is how motivated is Buffalo to move Eichel out of the division/conference.

If the answer to question 3 is "highly" or "explicitly" than I think it comes down to us and the Kings, at which point the Kings COULD blow our offer out of the water. Where we may shine is our willingness to give Buffalo more quantity. LA has a lot of mid to high quality center prospect, their motivation to overspend may be quite low. We have 30 years without a top 20 center more or less, our GM has publicly stated that you build your team down the middle, emphasized the center position and has made comments around coaching selections that reinforce a stance that BA thinks centers are the most important position.

When you take all of that into mind, albeit speculative, we are primed to overspend for Eichel and make a significant push for his services. At 24, he has the ability to have 5+ years of elite on ice result, barring injury. He can still fall into our timeline for success.
What will it take to get Eichel? We have no picks to give them. I would think Chych but they have Dahlin. I think they would want DVO and Soderstrom and maybe something else. It will be expensive. You build a team with C's and and top 4D. Wingers like Garland/Keller/schmaltz aren't the pieces that get you a 1C.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
What will it take to get Eichel? We have no picks to give them. I would think Chych but they have Dahlin. I think they would want DVO and Soderstrom and maybe something else. It will be expensive. You build a team with C's and and top 4D. Wingers like Garland/Keller/schmaltz aren't the pieces that get you a 1C.
Next seasons 1OA is pretty widely considered significantly better than this years. We have that 1st and could leverage that pick and our lack of historical success as another chance at 1OA.

Soderstrom has done nothing to reduce his stock.
Jenik has done everything to raise his stock.
Bunting and Garland have a lot of hype around them right now.
Hayton hasn't helped himself yet but we have seen guys have rough D+2/D+3/D+4 years and then just explode onto the scene.
Maccelli doesn't get talked about a lot but the dude absolutely seems like a B+ prospect.
We have the CBJ 2nd, which will be high. I know we all are speculating that 2nds could be more valuable due to C19 and if Buffalo agrees, it has additional value in trade.
We have both Prosvetov and Hill.
We have Chychrun.
We have Keller.
We have Schmaltz.
We have Dvorak.
We have more picks.
We have usable cap space.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Actually, the more I look at this, the more I see a huge pivotal opportunity for Buffalo. They have not had success. Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen all should be on the block with intentions to trade them before the start of training camp. All 3 players have spoken out, somewhat delicately, about their disappointment in the teams success. I know first hand how that can spread through a group of people, actually creating a problem. Buffalo could remove them and get an insane amount of assets back.

Then they say publicly or privately, we have 3 years to retool this roster. At the end of Okposo's contract, that offseason they need to have the pieces that they are looking for to compete rather than develop. There would only be 4 years left on Skinner's contract, who could raise his stock as well. Regardless, unless he's playing like a $9m player or brings some other intangible that must be kept on the roster, you retain 50% for 4 years and get the best assets back you possibly can. That leaves $4.5m additional cap to go after a name.

Chalk up this rebuild as a failure and pivot. Successful companies do it all the time, the NHL is a business and they need to make the decisions of a successful business.

Arizona is primed to get extra value out of an Eichel trade which sets Buffalo up for success down the road.

Edit: I need to make sure this is out there, I am not saying Eichel, Reinhart or Risto are problems. I am saying that they could be a problem for Buffalo. It's an important distinction.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Also after thinking about it, to answer your question of who we give up:

Schmaltz + Kuemper + Soderstrom + Hayton + 2022 1st (unprotected) + 2021 2nd (CBJ)

I think Schmaltz is the odd man out in a Eichel deal. We likely keep Keller with the intention of pairing him with Eichel. I also believe BA does not see Schmaltz as a natural center and will look to move him for someone that is. Schmaltz has top 6 value, be that at center or wing.

Kuemper is there as a stable goalie for their team to rely on. They have no starter signed next season, Ullmark could walk as disparagement plagues the Buffalo roster.

Buffalo does not have a deep pool of RD prospects and I would argue NHL talent. Miller is older and really should be on the 3rd pair. Ristolainen should be moved. Joker is basically it. Soderstrom is a swede and would fit in nicely with Dahlin, Olofsson, Asplund and Ullmark if he choses to stay.

Hayton in my opinion falls into the Zajac/Henrique ceiling IMO. Love to have it, not a game changer but will be a steady workhorse. Just have to let him finish developing. There is real value in that type of player and ceiling.

The picks are good picks. The 1st could be like the Ottawa 1st that has been a running joke for 2 years. We just fail next year and win one of the lotteries. Who doesn't want a 2nd shot next year?

I'd even add players like Capobianco and Westerlund so Buffalo can help their AHL affiliate and hope one of them blossoms into and NHL regular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad