2021 Blues Regular Season multi-purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Last nite;

The Blues looked awful in the first period. We were lucky that Washington missed on some excellent chances.

Robert Thomas was his usual brilliant self in puck handling and passing , but he also hustled on the backcheck and stripped the puck from the puckcarrier a couple of times. Has he learned from O"Reilly? Will he ever shoot the puck?

Mikkola looked good. He is fast, physical and has some bite to his game. He also sneaks in from the point on offense too.

Our fourth line looked bad. Even the usually reliable Bozak. Kostin and Brown looked like minor leaguers.

Husso was good. The Sprong goal looked soft to me in the stands, but I saw the replay today, and the puck seems to have gone through the legs of Bortuzzo. So the goalie was screened to some extent.

Barbashev has turned into a better player than I thought he would ever be.

Krug's goal shifted the momentum of the game in the Blues favor.

Reactions: The Electrician

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
A thought -

If Berube wins another Cup as coach, in addition to his playing career, would he have a shot at the Hall of Fame?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
A thought -

If Berube wins another Cup as coach, in addition to his playing career, would he have a shot at the Hall of Fame?
I think it for sure puts him in the conversation. Only 20 coaches have won multiple Cups, only 1 of the 16 retired coaches among them is not in the HoF.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
What’s funny is that, from what I recall, the Blues got heat from analytics folks for protecting Barbashev in the expansion draft (even from some folks on here). He’s obviously having a career year, but what a tremendous decision that’s turning out to be. The Blues saw untapped potential, and it’s coming to fruition.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Last nite;

The Blues looked awful in the first period. We were lucky that Washington missed on some excellent chances.

Robert Thomas was his usual brilliant self in puck handling and passing , but he also hustled on the backcheck and stripped the puck from the puckcarrier a couple of times. Has he learned from O"Reilly? Will he ever shoot the puck?

Mikkola looked good. He is fast, physical and has some bite to his game. He also sneaks in from the point on offense too.

Our fourth line looked bad. Even the usually reliable Bozak. Kostin and Brown looked like minor leaguers.

Husso was good. The Sprong goal looked soft to me in the stands, but I saw the replay today, and the puck seems to have gone through the legs of Bortuzzo. So the goalie was screened to some extent.

Barbashev has turned into a better player than I thought he would ever be.

Krug's goal shifted the momentum of the game in the Blues favor.

Oh yeah! Pavel Datsyuk....errrrrr....RT did a great job on that play.

The 4th line? I don't think Kostin needs better linemates. Brown needs better linemates.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Kostin hasn't shown he's NHL ready compared to our other NHL players currently playing. Or even someone like Walker.

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
Does anybody have a copy of the post game interview from Friday night with Panger & Buch? Would be greatly appreciated if so. Thanks

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
State of the Blues -

Wow.

Goaltending is excellent. Defense pairs are solid. Mikkola has solved the #1 LHD issue.
Thirteen forwards who can all play in top six if called upon. Buchnevich has been a real find. He plays 200 feet of the ice, always involved in big plays.

This team is going places.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm really curious how Barbashev finishes the season. His shooting % is still an absurd unsustainable level, but it's at least closer to a reasonable number. If he was shooting 15%, he'd still be on pace for about 54 points, which is still a massive improvement and legitimate top 6 production. Luckily he has another season before he needs an extension, but if he does finish with ~55 points, I wonder how that impacts moves in the summer. Does his emergence change how we view a return for Tarasenko, does it change how much we are willing to give Perron on an extension?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
State of the Blues -

Wow.

Goaltending is excellent. Defense pairs are solid. Mikkola has solved the #1 LHD issue.
Thirteen forwards who can all play in top six if called upon. Buchnevich has been a real find. He plays 200 feet of the ice, always involved in big plays.

This team is going places.
It’s in no way clear that Miko has solved 1LD issue. Evidence so far is that he and Parayko aren’t up to what has been asked of them.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm really curious how Barbashev finishes the season. His shooting % is still an absurd unsustainable level, but it's at least closer to a reasonable number. If he was shooting 15%, he'd still be on pace for about 54 points, which is still a massive improvement and legitimate top 6 production. Luckily he has another season before he needs an extension, but if he does finish with ~55 points, I wonder how that impacts moves in the summer. Does his emergence change how we view a return for Tarasenko, does it change how much we are willing to give Perron on an extension?
He is above 18% for his career. He really only has about 2-3 goals above that pace this year. His percentage tends to be high bc he doesn’t fire many bad angle or long shots. He gets lots of rebounds out in front of shots from slot. Not saying he will continue at 23% this year, but as long as he sticks with skilled line mates he should keep getting prime chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissouriMook

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I get the feeling that you wont give any credit to Mikkola until he wins the Hart trophy.
Look, he has made great strides. I think he is legit nhl defenseman this year, which he wasn’t previously. But he shouldn’t be on first pair or getting the kind of usage he is getting. He isn’t up for it. But Scandella and Parayko shat the bed and we had to try something. Both the eye test and advanced stats tell me that this isn’t working great either. But 2nd pair has been great and 3rd pairing passable so we are getting by. Ideally he would be on 3rd pair where he belongs. Which is much better than what I had thought previously, so I give him much credit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He is above 18% for his career. He really only has about 2-3 goals above that pace this year. His percentage tends to be high bc he doesn’t fire many bad angle or long shots. He gets lots of rebounds out in front of shots from slot. Not saying he will continue at 23% this year, but as long as he sticks with skilled line mates he should help getting prime chances.
The greater question is ultimately is this an unsustainable career year, or is he hitting the next level and we got a surprise top 6 player.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The greater question is ultimately is this an unsustainable career year, or is he hitting the next level and we got a surprise top 6 player.
Both? He has learned how to play with skilled guys. He always had skill but seemed to struggle when with more skilled players. He was great with Sunny, bad with Tank. But now he seems more comfortable and has looked really good with better players.

But let’s not kid ourselves, he isn’t driving these lines. He is really good in the role of guy who bangs in rebounds but he doesn’t generate enough offense to carry a line. So great complementary player.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Both? He has learned how to play with skilled guys. He always had skill but seemed to struggle when with more skilled players. He was great with Sunny, bad with Tank. But now he seems more comfortable and has looked really good with better players.

But let’s not kid ourselves, he isn’t driving these lines. He is really good in the role of guy who bangs in rebounds but he doesn’t generate enough offense to carry a line. So great complementary player.
It's obviously not both, it's either an unsustainable career year and moving forward he's back to what he was, or he's truly hit that next level and he can be viewed as a top 6 piece in a similar sense that Saad is a top 6 piece.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It's obviously not both, it's either an unsustainable career year and moving forward he's back to what he was, or he's truly hit that next level and he can be viewed as a top 6 piece in a similar sense that Saad is a top 6 piece.
It’s both in that if you put him with Tank and Buch he can keep up but if you put him with Saad and Perron they won’t do jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad