2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets have lost out on one of the available RD free agents I listed a week or so ago.

Mitch Reinke, who played with the Comets last season under a 2-way from St. Louis, has signed an AHL contract with Pittsburgh AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He would have filled the vacant 3rd RD that the Comets do not have. I hate LH D-men playing the right side. Same when it's the other way. They automatically have disadvantages. No reason to force guys to have to make adjustments if they don't have to.

Jordie Benn was also recently signed elsewhere, Minnesota. He's a RD that is LH. Plays much better from the left side.

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I’m not sure following all this so closely is exactly worthwhile, I was genuinely disappointed when I found out that Andy Welinski was signed on two-way deal by the Calgary Flames even though I barely know who he his.

Dylan Blujus (RHD) 27
295 AHL GP

Jack Dougherty (RHD) 25
285 AHL GP

Mitch Eliot (RHD) 23
53 AHL GP

Zach Giuttari (RHD) 25
23 AHL GP

Cody Goloubef (RHD) 31
342 AHL GP 160 NHL GP

Luke Green (RHD) 23
28 AHL GP

Nate Prosser (RHD) 35
186 AHL GP 360 NHL GP

Mitch Reinke (RHD) 25
140 AHL GP 2 NHL GP

Josh Wesley (RHD) 25
98 AHL GP
Blujus was with the Comets for 3 consecutive seasons before last when he was in Binghamton.

I'd take Reinke and Blujus back. Reinke is offensive minded and Blujus is solid defensively. Blujus would be a Veteran-exempt and Reinke is still a non-vet.

Paul LaDue is still unsigned and he's also a non-vet. .5 PPG in the AHL with 140GP.

Dylan Blujus would be an AHL contract.
Mitch Reinke (2-way with #750K/$100K)
Paul LaDue ($700K 1-way)
Nate Prosser (2-way, $700K/$425K)
Ben Thomas (2-way, $700K/$165k)
Jesper Lindgren (2-way, $775,833/$70K)
Chris Bigras (2-way, $700K/$250)
Cody Goloubet (2-way, $700K/$150K)
Michael Stone (2-way, $700K/$200K)
That's a bunch of RDs still on the market. Most with decent numbers and/or strong D reps in the AHL.

Jordie Benn is available as a depth NHL defender and he plays both sides. 2-way, $2Mil/$1.6Mil
Erik Gustafsson same situation RD/LD. 1-way $3Mil.
Then there's Sami Vatanen still available at RD. Last paid $2mil on a 1-way.

AHL UFA RD

Dylan Blujus
Jack Dougherty
Zach Giuttari

Scott Moldenhauer (did not play last season, 27, split first pro season with San Diego/ECHL, second season with San Diego)
Cole Moberg (20, Rockford)
Mike Cornell (33, Bridgeport/ECHL tweener)
Ryan MacKinnon (no relation to Dan, 27, Bridgeport/ECHL tweener)
Alec McCrea (26, ECHL loaned to Rochester for 14 games)
Jack Sadek (24, ECHL, five games with Ontario and a playoff game)
Andrew Peski (24, ECHL, six games with Providence)
Koletrane Wilson (22, ECHL, five games with Stockton)
Philip Beaulieu (26, ECHL, one game with Iowa)

NHL UFA RD

Cody Goloubef
Luke Green
Nate Prosser
Paul LaDue
Michael Stone
Jesper Lindgren
Erik Gustafsson
Sami Vatanen

Jason Demers
Erik Gudbranson

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
AHL UFA RD

Dylan Blujus
Jack Dougherty
Zach Giuttari

Scott Moldenhauer (did not play last season, 27, split first pro season with San Diego/ECHL, second season with San Diego)
Cole Moberg (20, Rockford)
Mike Cornell (33, Bridgeport/ECHL tweener)
Ryan MacKinnon (no relation to Dan, 27, Bridgeport/ECHL tweener)
Alec McCrea (26, ECHL loaned to Rochester for 14 games)
Jack Sadek (24, ECHL, five games with Ontario and a playoff game)
Andrew Peski (24, ECHL, six games with Providence)
Koletrane Wilson (22, ECHL, five games with Stockton)
Philip Beaulieu (26, ECHL, one game with Iowa)

NHL UFA RD

Cody Goloubef
Luke Green
Nate Prosser
Paul LaDue
Michael Stone
Jesper Lindgren
Erik Gustafsson
Sami Vatanen

Jason Demers
Erik Gudbranson

The group I'm still holding out for are:

Dylan Blujus - We in Utica know what we have in Dylan and he would be plus for the team. He played with Rochester last season (who the Comets played I believe it was 12 times) and with the Comets for each of the 3 full seasons before last.

Cameron Gaunce - He is an AHL career journeyman who has played 37 NHL coffee stops in the NHL over his 11 pro seasons. He has played against the Comets with W-B/Scranton, Cleveland, and Syracuse (2 full seasons in '18-19 and '19-20. The Comets play more games vs Syracuse than any other AHL teams. We are very familiar with him like Blujus

Paul LaDue - He has played the last 2 seasons in the AHL with Ontario and Hershey and of his 5 pro seasons parts of 4 have been in the AHL. 140 AHL GP and 69 NHL GP .5 PPG AHL d-man. He currently is unsigned by Washington.

Cameron Schilling - Another career AHL player with 575 GP against only 10 NHL games. Played last season in Hershey and the previous 3 in Manitoba. He is a D first D-man but has still put up .35PPG. Washington has not re-newed his contract.

Aaron Ness - He played 18-19 with AHL Hershey and '19-20 with AHL Tuscon. He has played 536 AHL games and only 72 NHL games. He is an AHL career .5 PPG player. Arizona has not re-newed his contract.

Nate Prosser - Nate appears to be on his way down career wise. He spent much of his last 2 full seasons in the AHL '18-19 in Iowa, and '19-20 in Lehigh Valley. Last year he played a total of 6 games with Philly while serving out the season on the Taxi Squad. Seems his game is now going to be in the AHL. Definitely a defensive D-man with a .14 PPG in 360 NHL GP and .26 PPG in 186 AHL GP.

Sami Vatanen is still unsigned and could possibly jockey with Jaros and NJ as the Devils extra RD.

I have no pull, but the Comets really do need a real solid vet to take charge of this D-corp. Prosser and Ness have the experience to do that and the Comets don't have a 3rd RH RD. Either of these guys are way ahead of Colton White for this role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The group I'm still holding out for are:

Dylan Blujus - We in Utica know what we have in Dylan and he would be plus for the team. He played with Rochester last season (who the Comets played I believe it was 12 times) and with the Comets for each of the 3 full seasons before last.

Cameron Gaunce - He is an AHL career journeyman who has played 37 NHL coffee stops in the NHL over his 11 pro seasons. He has played against the Comets with W-B/Scranton, Cleveland, and Syracuse (2 full seasons in '18-19 and '19-20. The Comets play more games vs Syracuse than any other AHL teams. We are very familiar with him like Blujus

Paul LaDue - He has played the last 2 seasons in the AHL with Ontario and Hershey and of his 5 pro seasons parts of 4 have been in the AHL. 140 AHL GP and 69 NHL GP .5 PPG AHL d-man. He currently is unsigned by Washington.

Cameron Schilling - Another career AHL player with 575 GP against only 10 NHL games. Played last season in Hershey and the previous 3 in Manitoba. He is a D first D-man but has still put up .35PPG. Washington has not re-newed his contract.
Aaron Ness - played 18-19 with AHL Hershey and '19-20 with AHL Tuscon. He has played 536 AHL games and only 72 NHL games. He is an AHL career .5 PPG player. Arizona has not re-newed his contract.

So Cameron Schilling?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I like Schilling and Gaunce. No Darcy or Johnson.

Definite on your no!!!!!!s

I'd take Schilling or Gaunce at the drop a hat.

If you really wanted a guy to anchor a young D, Ness (LD) or Prosser (RD) are your best bets, Both have a wealth of experience. Prosser is the steadier defensive D-man with a lot of NHL games played, while Ness comes with a better offensive side and a ton of AHL games played.

I really think the Comets really need a 3rd RD. Preferrably I'd like to see NJ get an NHL experienced RD for their backup, send Jaros down and still pick up an AHL journeyman for the 4th right side down here.

Comets RD :
Jaros
Walsh
Russo
one of Gaunce/Prosser

Comets LD:
Bahl
Vukojevic
Okhotyuk
Schilling/White

Maybe a pairing of either Vuk/Bahl with Walsh to see if the 2 top choices can carry a pairing. Even 2nd pair would be okay, doesn't ave to be 1st pair.

Let the guy not selected to go with Walsh pair up with Jaros.

Russo is best suited to shelter the weaker prospect which appears to be OK. Russo is the best RD at this point in all of their careers. He could just as easily be the #1 RD with the best LD/Vuk.
Jaros with the #3LD/OK as the 2nd pair and Bahl with Walsh.

Some fan is going to get his nose bent no matter how you pair this group up. They can't all be in the 1st pair and someone has to make up the 3rd. Penalty killers and PP spots also have to come out of the 6.

This team is loaded with prospects and an AHL team that runs almost exclusively with prospects in all the key spots will not end up successful. You work your experienced guys into the lines with your kids and with your D-pairings. As the season progresses and the wheat separates from the chaff, the coaches can rearrange their lines and pairs accordingly. If the top 2 lines and top 2 D-pairs are solely made up of prospects, the kids will will get their butts kicked. That's not how you want them to develop. You want them to have success. So, you mix up your top prospects with the experienced guys that have been brought in expressly for that purpose.

These kids will sort themselves out as the season moves along. It needs to be realized that at some point some of these guys are hopefully going to move ahead of the others and develop into much better players than the rest. Some of those others will catch on, but after the others have clearly moved to the next level. It may take that second group another year or so. Finally, it will be come to pass that some of these kids are not going to become NHL players. Some will carve out a successful AHL career before moving on to Europe. Others were struggle further and end up not getting re-signed and maybe bounce around to another AHL team or 2 before they find themselves in the ECHL and soon after have to make a life changing decision about hockey.

It's too soon for all of that now. They are all to be tossed into the pool and and we will see who comes out on top. That's the story of the minor leagues in a nutshell. Fans at the parent level have already selected their choices and will pull for them to be the ones and some will have a real tough time accepting they chose the wrong horse. We at this level have seen this for many seasons. The actual number decided by our ages and when we started following the AHL.

My beginning was at age 10 with the Rochester Americans in 1959. That love affair lasted until the Fall of 1972 when I married and we followed jobs to the Utica area. The Clinton Comets of the EHL would play their final season in 1972-73. My history of playing the game would gravitate to these guys after the Comets franchise folded.

Teams called the Comets would move their home ice to the Utica Aud and join the NAHL for 4 seasons. After that pro hockey here just fizzled out.

I was fortunate enough to arrive in Utica as the NY Islanders were born and all of their games were broadcast on our TV service as were the Rangers. I hated the Rangers from my association with Rochester and therefore the parent Toronto Maple Leafs. So, my hockey allegiance was newly committed to the Islanders and that was a very depressing beginning that eventually was a very rewarding experience.

I still had a soft spot for the Amerks and kept track of Hetheir play from 1973 until the arrival of the Devils in 1987. My direct connection to the AHL then had a rebirth. My son was 7 years old and became an instant hockey fan. He was devastated when the Devils pulled up their stakes and all but ran off in the night after the 92-93 season ended. He was now 13 and got heavily involved with his high school sports and the Devils faded fast.

I invested some time in the NJ Devils and split time with them and the Isles as we received the televised games of both teams. That would pay off when the NHL Devils hit pay dirt.

The Utica Comets returned the AHL to Utica in 2013-14 and left after 2020-21 to immediately be replaced as the NJ Devils AHL affiliate. I became heavily immersed in the Comets and Vancouver as I was retired and had lots of time to spare in the winter. My son was a man on his own with his own life, career, and lady, but the spark was still there and we have had season tickets since game 1 and still have them at this very moment, although with the COVID issue and rules for attendance still unannounced I'm not sure how that will work out. My wife is compromised health wise and I will not do anything that may bring the virus home. We (the family) are all vaccinated and will receive our boosters as soon as they are made available to us. It's the other jamokes I worry about.

Some of you may notice I have already begun my investment with the new Utica Comets. It will become far more noticeable as the season arrives on the horizon. I may become a thorn to some people, but I will support this team 100% and will assess and analyze things as I see them. I, as do the rest of the Utica fans, hope to see every single NJ prospect become a full fledged member of the New Jersey Devils and enjoy a long and prosperous career in the NHL. However, we are also realists and know that just won't happen. The fact is more will fail than the number who succeed. Eventually I will make my mind up as to who the top dogs are, who the strugglers with promise are, who the plain strugglers are, and who is drowning. I won't always be correct and for every kid I am wrong about I will rejoice, but that won't be as often as I would like and certainly not as often as those who have invested their hopes in those I am predicting are not going to make it.

I will post a running account of the road games and recaps the following day of the home games. Some might find my continuous posting annoying and others will join in the banter and discussion of the team and its players That's what this page is for. You all know where the ignore apparatus is if you can't take it. LOL

Looking forward to a long season that hopefully runs into the early summer. (That's how long the playoffs go.) I look forward to the many interactions that will transpire as the season moves along. Let's keep it civil and all have a good time.

Good night.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Definite on your no!!!!!!s

I'd take Schilling or Gaunce at the drop a hat.

If you really wanted a guy to anchor a young D, Ness or Prosser are your best bets, Both have a wealth of experience. Prosser is the steadier defensive D-man with a lot of NHL games played, while Ness comes with a better offensive side and a ton of AHL games played.

I really think the Comets really need a 3rd RD. Preferrably I'd like to see NJ get an NHL experienced RD for their backup, send Jaros down and still pick up an AHL journeyman for the 4th right side down here.

Comets RD :
Jaros
Walsh
Russo
one of Schilling/Gaunce/Prosser

Comets LD:
Bahl
Vukojevic
Okhotyuk
White

Maybe a pairing of either Vuk/Bahl with Walsh to see if the 2 top choices can carry a pairing. Even 2nd pair would be okay, doesn't ave to be 1st pair.

Let the guy not selected to go with Walsh pair up with Jaros.

Russo is best suited to shelter the weaker prospect which appears to be OK. Russo is the best RD at this point in all of their careers. He could just as easily be the #1 RD with the best LD/Vuk.
Jaros with the #3LD/OK as the 2nd pair and Bahl with Walsh.

Some fan is going to get his nose bent no matter how you pair this group up. They can't all be in the 1st pair and someone has to make up the 3rd.

This team is loaded with prospects and an AHL team that runs almost exclusively with prospects in all the key spots will not end up successful. You work your experienced guys into the lines with your kids and with your D-pairings. As the season progresses and the wheat separates from the chaff, the coaches can rearrange their lines and pairs accordingly. if the top 2 lines and top 2 D-pairs are solely made up of prospects, the kids will will get their butts kicked. That's not how you want them to develop. You want them to have success. So, you mix up your top prospects with the experienced guys that have been brought in expressly for that purpose.

These kids will sort themselves out as the season moves along. It needs to be realized that at some point some of these guys are hopefully going to move ahead of the others and develop into much better players than the rest. Some of those others will catch on , but after the others have clearly moved to the next level. It may take that second group another year or so. Finally, it will be come to pass that some of these kids are not going to become NHL players. Some will carve out a successful AHL career before moving on to Europe. Others were struggle further and end up not getting re-signed and maybe bounce around to another AHL team or 2 before they find themselves in the ECHL and soon after have to make a life changing decision about hockey.

It's too soon for all of that now. They are all to be tossed into the pool and and we will see who comes out on top. That's the story of the minor leagues in a nutshell. Fans at the parent level have already selected their choices and will pull for them to be the ones and some will have a real tough time accepting they chose the wrong horse. We at this level have seen this for many seasons. the actual number decided by our ages and when we started following the AHL.

My beginning was at age 10 with the Rochester Americans in 1959. That love affair lasted until Fall of 1972 when I married and we followed jobs to the Utica area. The Clinton Comets of the EHL would play their final season in 1972-73.
They would move their home ice to the Utica Aud and join the NAHL for 4 seasons. After that pro hockey here just fizzled out.
I was fortunate enough to arrive in Utica as the NY Islanders were born and all of their games were broadcast on our TV service as were the Rangers. I hated the Rangers from my association with Rochester and therefore the parent Toronto Maple Leafs. So, my hockey allegiance was newly committed to the Islanders and that was a very depressing beginning that eventually was a very rewarding experience.

I embraced the Rochester Americans and kept track of their play from 1973 to the arrival of the Devils in 1987. My direct connection to the AHL had a rebirth. My son was 7 years old and became an instant hockey fan. He was devastated when the Devils pulled up their stakes and all but ran off in the night after the 92-93 season ended. He got heavily involved with his high school sports and the Devils faded fast.

I invested some time in the Devils and split time with them and the Isles as we received the games of both of them. That would pay off when the NHL Devils hit pay dirt.

The Utica Comets returned the AHL to Utica in 2013-14 and left after 2020-21 to immediately be replaced as the NJ Devils AHL affiliate. I became heavily immersed in the Comets and Vancouver as I was retired and had lots of time to spare in the winter. My son was a man on his own with his own life career and lady, but the spark was still there and we have had season tickets since game 1 and still have them at this very moment although with the COVID issue and rules for attendance still unannounced I'm not sure how that will work out. MY wife is compromised health wise and I will not do anything that may bring the virus home. We (the family) are all vaccinated and will receive out boosters as soon as they are made available to us.

Some of you may notice I have already begun my investment with the new Utica Comets. It will become far more noticeable as the season begins to come about. I may become a thorn to some people, but I will support this team 100% and will assess and analyze things as I see them. I as the rest of the Utica fans hope to see every single NJ prospect become a full fledged member of the New Jersey Devils and enjoy a long and prosperous career in the NHL. However, we are also realists and know that just won't happen. The fact is more will fail than the number who succeed. Eventually I will make my mind up as to who the top dogs are, who the strugglers with promise are, who the plain strugglers are, and who is drowning. I won't always be correct and for every kid I am wrong about I will rejoice, But that won't be as often as i would like and certainly not as often as those who have invested their hopes in those I am predicting are not going to make it.

I will post a running account of the road games and recaps the following day of the home games. Some might find my continuous posting annoying and others will join in the banter and discussion of the team and its players That's what this page is for. You all know where the ignore apparatus is if you can't take it. LOL

Looking forward to a long season that hopefully runs into the early summer. I look forward to the many interactions that will transpire as the season moves along. Let's keep it civil and all have a good time.

Good night.

Fittingly, Prosser scored his only NHL goal of the season against the Devils in what was essentially a replacement game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Fittingly, Prosser scored his only NHL goal of the season against the Devils in what was essentially a replacement game.

Maybe that was his request to sign on and mentor the talented group of kids he has heard make up the Devils prospect pool. :thumbu:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Not much for offensive numbers but plenty of PIMs. I guess he is a pest and an agitator.

He basically has no offensive numbers and his one achievement is was being the most penalized player in QMJHL in 2012-13. His “aggression” rating on Elite Prospects is 19 (out of 20), I think he may have murdered people because I honestly don’t know how you get it that high. (Greer’s aggression is at 14, while his hitting is 17 and strength is at 15, and he’s a pretty angry fellow.) I’m guessing it’s a PIM thing.

McGrath hitting is 15 and his strength is rating 14 and he’s listed at 5’10” and 200 lbs which is kind of hilarious. That’s some PJ Stock old school little fella enforcer shit there. My curiosity is piqued.

Reactions: UticaHockey

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not much for offensive numbers but plenty of PIMs. I guess he is a pest and an agitator.

Do the guys that have been signed to AHL contracts remind you of the guys Johnson signed for the Comets and stashed in Kalamazoo? They never amounted to anything. Do these guys have a similar appearance to you?

I'm not including a player who has previously been a part of the Devils organization.
Ryan Schmelzer has been a member of the Binghamton Devils for the past 3 seasons. He put up 55 points in 133 GP.

Tyler Irvine was signed by Binghamton out of Merrimack College. He played 25 of the Binghamton Devils games last season and has been signed again for this season.

The rest remind me of Johnson's Kalamazoo signings.

The experienced guys the Devils signed are the kind of guys I was looking for Brian Flynn, Chase De Leo, Joseph Gambardella, and Robbie Russo.

None of the other signings remind me of any guys like Bancks and Hamilton in their good years, Arseneau, Archibald (when he was on AHL deals), Travis Ehrhardt, Blujus, Colby Robak, Jaime Sifers, David Shields, and others the Comets signed to AHL contracts.

The guys I'm talking about seem like candidates for Adirondack. Maybe not, but the preseason camp will likely straighten this out. It's just that I appear to be the only local person making any kind of comment on the type of players signed. There's a lot of good kids here, but if some of these other signings are being counted on for anything more than deep depth, the kids are the ones who will suffer.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is this someone who can mentor whichever goalie we send down there?

Alex Sakellaropoulos has been been a pro for 4 seasons. He turned pro in the ECHL after having finished 4 years at NCAA Division I Union College. He has played for 11 ECHL teams, 6 in his 1st season ('17-18)! Yet, he only played 7 total games!

Year 2 ('18-19) was his only sort of full season season when he played 33 games for ECHL Adirondack. However, he was loaned out to 3 AHL teams where he only played for one of them and only 2 games there.

'19-20 he payed for 3 ECHL teams totaling 38 GP.

In the shortened '20-21 season he managed to get 6 games in ECHL Wichita.

If you wanted to mentor someone on the best way to pack and stay ready to travel at a moment's notice and then travel around North America, he's your man. A guy this traveled in such a short period of time is not the klind od steady solid player you take on as a mentor for essentially 1st year pros. The Comets will carry 2 keepers and I would guess they would be Scott Wedegewood and Nico Daws.

Akira Schmid is beginning a 3-yr ELC and Mareks Mittens has signed an AHL contract. The way this would ordinarily work is the two guys under contract to NJ franchises would get the shared time with the ECHL affiliate. However, Akira just turned 21 in may and is still eligible to play another season in the USHL where he played for the Sioux City Musketeers. It's possible he could be sign there again as an overager. If that were the case, Mittens and the traveling man could share the Adirondack crease.

I guess we will have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not really. 81 ECHL GP over five seasons. Will probably send two G down. Mareks Mitens and Daws unless Schmid has a rotten camp.

I know nothing about these 2 guys other than what I have been able to read. Nico Daws played the COVID shortened season in the top German pro league (DEL), 2.90 GAA and .898 SV%. He 1s 20 and will turn 21 in late December. He is to begin his ELC .

Akira Schmid played the COVID shortened season in the USHL, the US version of the Canadian Jrs., 2.01 GAA and .921 SV%. He turned 21 in May making him 7 months older than Daws. He will begin his ELC as well.

I have read from a couple posters that NJ feels Daws is more ready than Schmid. However, I am certain that there will be some competition before said assignments are made. What is certain is one of the 2 will be in Utica along with Wedgewood. The other will ,report to Adirondack, 108 miles down the road east of Utica.

Mittens and the yet to be determined will likely be in Adirondack along with Sakellaropoulos. This could mean someone is not going to get a lot of ice time. Mittens is on an AHL contract making him a lower man in the NJ pecking order. From there it all depends upon how much Adirondack is required to play NJ associated players.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I know nothing about these 2 guys other than what I have been able to read. Nico Daws played the COVID shortened season in the top German pro league (DEL), 2.90 GAA and .898 SV%. He 1s 20 and will turn 21 in late December. He is to begin his ELC .

Akira Schmid played the COVID shortened season in the USHL, the US version of the Canadian Jrs., 2.01 GAA and .921 SV%. He turned 21 in May making him 7 months older than Daws. He will begin his ELC as well.

I have read from a couple posters that NJ feels Daws is more ready than Schmid. However, I am certain that there will be some competition before said assignments are made. What is certain is one of the 2 will be in Utica along with Wedgewood. The other will ,report to Adirondack, 108 miles down the road east of Utica.

Mittens and the yet to be determined will likely be in Adirondack along with Sakellaropoulos. This could mean someone is not going to get a lot of ice time. Mittens is on an AHL contract making him a lower man in the NJ pecking order. From there it all depends upon how much Adirondack is required to play NJ associated players.

Daws has always played backup except for his senior OHL season which was his best season and the only on above .900. He has ten games played in a men's league. He was drafted in the third round one year after Schmid was drafted in the fifth round.

I think camp will be the determiner but I believe Schmid has a slight seniority and lower jersey number assignment.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Not really. 81 ECHL GP over five seasons. Will probably send two G down. Mareks Mitens and Daws unless Schmid has a rotten camp.
Alex Sakellaropoulos has been been a pro for 4 seasons. He turned pro in the ECHL after having finished 4 years at NCAA Division I Union College. He has played for 11 ECHL teams, 6 in his 1st season ('17-18)! Yet, he only played 7 total games!

Year 2 ('18-19) was his only sort of full season season when he played 33 games for ECHL Adirondack. However, he was loaned out to 3 AHL teams where he only played for one of them and only 2 games there.

'19-20 he payed for 3 ECHL teams totaling 38 GP.

In the shortened '20-21 season he managed to get 6 games in ECHL Wichita.

If you wanted to mentor someone on the best way to pack and stay ready to travel at a moment's notice and then travel around North America, he's your man. A guy this traveled in such a short period of time is not the klind od steady solid player you take on as a mentor for essentially 1st year pros. The Comets will carry 2 keepers and I would guess they would be Scott Wedegewood and Nico Daws.

Akira Schmid is beginning a 3-yr ELC and Mareks Mittens has signed an AHL contract. The way this would ordinarily work is the two guys under contract to NJ franchises would get the shared time with the ECHL affiliate. However, Akira just turned 21 in may and is still eligible to play another season in the USHL where he played for the Sioux City Musketeers. It's possible he could be sign there again as an overager. If that were the case, Mittens and the traveling man could share the Adirondack crease.

I guess we will have to wait and see how this all plays out.
Holy smokes, I’m not sure what amazing long term talent people are expecting to find in the ECHL at goaltending. It’s a development league that makes up for low weekly pay with per diems and housing, goalies don’t stick around that long. If you can’t aren’t going to the AHL, then after few years it’s Europe or an independent league.

He’s a 27 year old goalie who went pro after 4 years of college hockey and played 81 ECHL games (and 2 AHL games), I’m sure our rookie goalies can learn from him (and they probably aren’t dedicated stat watchers).

Better available ECHL goalie talent? These guys, these few non-prospects are the ones who didn’t resign with the same team or leave for Europe, look good to me but clearly wouldn’t have the experience to pass muster for high demands of this board.

The unsigned Evan Buitenhuis has better numbers but he’s 28 and only played 48 ECHL games & 10 AHL games in three pro years so he’s a detriment I guess.

The Milwaukee Admirals signed Parker Gahagen, who numbers look good, but he bears the shame of being 28 years old and only playing 32 ECHL games and 10 AHL games over 3 pro seasons. Surprised the Preds didn’t realize what a loser he was.

Detroit signed Billy Christopoulos, 27, despite his career of shame: 3 pro seasons and only 48 ECHL games and 5 AHL games.

Sakellaropoulos had seasons when he didn’t get a full time ECHL gig, he also had a very solid season on the Thunder in 2018-19.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Daws has always played backup except for his senior OHL season which was his best season and the only on above .900. He has ten games played in a men's league. He was drafted in the third round one year after Schmid was drafted in the fifth round.

I think camp will be the determiner but I believe Schmid has a slight seniority and lower jersey number assignment.

He may have made the wrong move leaving Europe if the ECHL is his future. I like Akira's numbers, but it was the USHL. So I guess we are saying Wedgewood gets the job and whomever , Nico or Akira, gets eased into the picture?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Holy smokes, I’m not sure what amazing long term talent people are expecting to find in the ECHL at goaltending. It’s a development league that makes up for low weekly pay with per diems and housing, goalies don’t stick around that long. If you can’t aren’t going to the AHL, then after few years it’s Europe or an independent league.

He’s a 27 year old goalie who went pro after 4 years of college hockey and played 81 ECHL games (and 2 AHL games), I’m sure our rookie goalies can learn from him (and they probably aren’t dedicated stat watchers).

Better available ECHL goalie talent? These guys, these few non-prospects are the ones who didn’t resign with the same team or leave for Europe, look good to me but clearly wouldn’t have the experience to pass muster for high demands of this board.

The unsigned Evan Buitenhuis has better numbers but he’s 28 and only played 48 ECHL games & 10 AHL games in three pro years so he’s a detriment I guess.

The Milwaukee Admirals signed Parker Gahagen, who numbers look good, but he bears the shame of being 28 years old and only playing 32 ECHL games and 10 AHL games over 3 pro seasons. Surprised the Preds didn’t realize what a loser he was.

Detroit signed Billy Christopoulos, 27, despite his career of shame: 3 pro seasons and only 48 ECHL games and 5 AHL games.

Sakellaropoulos had seasons when he didn’t get a full time ECHL gig, he also had a very solid season on the Thunder in 2018-19.

The ECHL period, mirrors the cases you have identified in net except they get ice time, but when loaned to an AHL team and receiving an AHL PTO most fall on their faces. Once in a while one of those guys adding up to a handful or so each season end up getting an AHL contract out of their PTO.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I realize I was a little pissy yesterday (in my defense, I was hungry and tired lol) but while I get some of the criticisms of some of these signings, and Sakellaropoulos is likely not the best possible choice of out of every single available ECHL goalie, he isn’t a bad choice at all if he’s still capable of playing how he did in for the team in 2018-19. His numbers in his six games in Wichita aren’t bad (2.30 .934) but presumably Evan Weninger (25, off to the DEL2) and Evan Buitenhuis (28, unsigned) were a bit better. Or the coaches like guys named Evan.

There really isn’t much in unaffiliated goalie talent who played a ton in the ECHL considering the league is going from 14 teams to 27 this season.

Gahagen did have two really solid seasons, so good for Nashville.

One of the biggest pick-up was probably the AHL/ECHL tweener Cam Johnson, who 1) is obviously not a possibility because he was our former FA signing/prospect 2) he’s probably aiming higher than ECHL and signed with Columbus who has a hole in their depth chart after the tragic death of one of their goalies, Johnson could play behind Tarasov in Cleveland.

Buitenhuis numbers looks very good, he led the league in SV% but I don’t know if there’s a huge difference there. (He played 21 games and is unsigned.)

The other unsigned guys that look ok would be
Devin Williams 25, Billy Christopoulos 27 and
Clint Windsor 27. Again, none of these guys have particularly played more ECHL games or anything, they just have pretty good numbers at a glance so it’s not like we missed out on anything amazing.

And there is an advantage to a player you know, assuming you like him. Sakellaropoulos lost out because we were stuck with work-in-progress Cormier, let Johnson walk and signed AHL/ECHL tweener Eamon McAdam for the Thunder. McAdam went worse then his previous his would suggest and Cormier was disaster. That was the Thunder’s one terrible season in awhile. (I don’t know all that went wrong but it went wrong.) Getting the dude that worked might be fine, a lot will depend on Mitens works as a started there or they’ll have to get another goalie anyway. (And more goalies pop up, it’s the ECHL.)

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I realize I was a little pissy yesterday (in my defense, I was hungry and tired lol) but while I get some of the criticisms of some of these signings, and Sakellaropoulos is likely not the best possible choice of out of every single available ECHL goalie, he isn’t a bad choice at all if he’s still capable of playing how he did in for the team in 2018-19. His numbers in his six games in Wichita aren’t bad (2.30 .934) but presumably Evan Weninger (25, off to the DEL2) and Evan Buitenhuis (28, unsigned) were a bit better. Or the coaches like guys named Evan.

There really isn’t much in unaffiliated goalie talent who played a ton in the ECHL considering the league is going from 14 teams to 27 this season.

Gahagen did have two really solid seasons, so good for Nashville.

One of the biggest pick-up was probably the AHL/ECHL tweener Cam Johnson, who 1) is obviously not a possibility because he was our former FA signing/prospect 2) he’s probably aiming higher than ECHL and signed with Columbus who has a hole in their depth chart after the tragic death of one of their goalies, Johnson could play behind Tarasov in Cleveland.

Buitenhuis numbers looks very good, he led the league in SV% but I don’t know if there’s a huge difference there. (He played 21 games and is unsigned.)

The other unsigned guys that look ok would be
Devin Williams 25, Billy Christopoulos 27 and
Clint Windsor 27. Again, none of these guys have particularly played more ECHL games or anything, they just have pretty good numbers at a glance so it’s not like we missed out on anything amazing.

And there is an advantage to a player you know, assuming you like him. Sakellaropoulos lost out because we were stuck with work-in-progress Cormier, let Johnson walk and signed AHL/ECHL tweener Eamon McAdam for the Thunder. McAdam went worse then his previous his would suggest and Cormier was disaster. That was the Thunder’s one terrible season in awhile. (I don’t know all that went wrong but it went wrong.) Getting the dude that worked might be fine, a lot will depend on Mitens works as a started there or they’ll have to get another goalie anyway. (And more goalies pop up, it’s the ECHL.)
All I said was he probably isn't a mentor. I liked him well enough last time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad