Speculation: 2021-22 Trade Thread VI : Who's your Dadonov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Providing specifics would take me time and research I don't have but it has been a much commented on discussion for the past 2 years including this past year. If you started a poll, I think most fans who watch the team would say they noticed it this past year.

Frank Seravelli has him #7 on his "Trade Targets" list and has this to say:

7. John Gibson
Goaltender, Anaheim Ducks
Stats: 56 GP, 18-26-11, 3.19 GAA, .904 Sv%
Contract: 5 more seasons, $6.4 million AAV
Scoop: Quietly, Gibson’s name circulated among GMs in the days leading up to the March 21 trade deadline, floated by new Ducks manager Pat Verbeek as a lifeline to any teams in need of a netminder. That contract may be prohibitive in term, for a goaltender who has been below league average in save percentage for each of the last three seasons. Prior to that, Gibson was one of the most consistent and talented goalies in the league. His body language in Anaheim indicates frustration, so perhaps a change of scenery will energize him.

It's not exactly a league-wide secret. There have been other articles as well with more specificity that have said that he gives the evil eye to his teammates after a bad play but I can't find that right now.

As far as objectivity, it is my opinion based upon the direction Verbeek seems to be going with the team. It has been supported by pundits around the league from Friedman to Seravelli to Hoven. I normally don't pay much attention to them but, again, where there is smoke there is fire. What I have said many times before though is that I do NOT want to watch 50-60 games of Gibson's bad body language again next year playing behind an atrocious team. That is not good for him nor is it good for the organization.

We'll know in about 3 weeks.

Ok, so the bolded in your quote doesn't indicate his perceived body language is aimed at his teammates, just that he is frustrated (presumably with losing). Not sure how that's news. I don't know too many people that enjoy losing. Do you?

I agree that most fans who watch the team would say they noticed it this past year. I'm just saying I didn't notice it this year. I could very well have missed it or be flat out wrong. I will concede I noticed it the year prior. But again, all that tells us is he doesn't like losing. It doesn't tell us he hates his teammates and doesn't want to remain in Anaheim. In fact, he's flat out said that isn't the case.

If you want to keep using the "where there's smoke there's fire" metaphor (which is flawed logic by the way) then I guess Gibson just put the fire out (that's if we agree there is a fire which is debatable). It's possible Verbeek is carrying a box of matches, but he might just throw them in the garbage rather than use it. Who knows?

Your opinion isn't objective and I don't see how you can glean much in the way of direction to infer Verbeek will trade Gibson based on him trading expiring deals for assets rather than losing them for nothing. If Gibson's deal was expiring this season, then I'd agree, he probably would be moved.

I want to be clear. I'm not saying I think Verbeek will or will not trade Gibson. I truly don't know. I just don't think there is enough evidence for anyone to suggest one way or the other.

Are you saying if Gibson isn't traded at the draft then you were wrong? That's commendable, if so.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm assuming that "yep" means you agree with what I said in my post. If not, please note areas of disagreement.
You said the things that you think, I'm not going to disagree that you think those things. The point is that Five Hole is right, the things you think aren't reasonable. You also change what you seem to be arguing pretty often, and then retreat to "agree to disagree" when you're called on it. Frankly you should agree to disagree with yourself because you can't ever keep your shit straight.

Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This place is getting weird lately :sarcasm:.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Me reading HFDucks recently:

200.gif

Y'all get too worked up in the summer. :laugh:

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Friedman: "I'm just not convinced that Pat Verbeek sees trading John Gibson as the right move for the team."

He also echoes my earlier sentiments that the moves he made at the deadline were due to expiring deals and points out that Gibson has term.

He also mentions what others here have said, it is likely the only way Gibson is dealt is if a team steps up and makes an offer Verbeek can't refuse.

If there ever was a fire, I consider it extinguished.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can we loan out Gibson to another league to get his game back? Have Stolarz as the starter, then Gibby can come back with a top 3 pick in next year's draft added :sarcasm:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think there should be a little more coming from the Avs side, but I don’t totally hate it.
Could definitely throw in Kaut or a B prospect that needs a change of scenery in there, but Avs don't havem uch outside of that. On a sidenote, how much do you guys value Steel?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Just curious, how much would you guys hate something like:

2023 1st + EJ + Newhook for Gibson + Comtois?
That seems like good framework for a deal. Maybe one more asset needs to be included for taking on EJ’s contract but seems fairly reasonable for the most part.

Reactions: 405Entrance and bsu

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That seems like good framework for a deal. Maybe one more asset needs to be included for taking on EJ’s contract but seems fairly reasonable for the most part.
Honestly I don't think EJ is a negative asset at this point, he's had a hell of a playoffs. He could easily be taken out if Anaheim considers him a cap dump so it's 2013 1st + Newhook for Gibson + Comtois.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Honestly I don't think EJ is a negative asset at this point, he's had a hell of a playoffs. He could easily be taken out if Anaheim considers him a cap dump so it's 2013 1st + Newhook for Gibson + Comtois.
Need another piece... An Avs first rounder is a second rounder.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Need another piece... An Avs first rounder is a second rounder.
Drop Comtois and replace him with Steel or a mid round pick and I’d do it. Newhook is a great piece, but your 1st is likely the very end of the 1st round and we’re taking EJ.

Ya those are a fair ask, the most that could be added is probably a prospect like Kaut, Avs can't really afford to pay more though and need a player like Comtois coming back to offset the lose of Newhook. EJ can easily be taken out of the deal.

Anyways, good to know that something could be worked out with some tweaking.

FWIW, EJ has been on par with Manson this playoffs minus the physicality. They've both looked very solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duck Off

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Newhook would be amazing, but I wouldn't trade him for a goalie no matter what. Especially with Kadri potentially leaving

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Just curious, how much would you guys hate something like:

2023 1st + EJ + Newhook for Gibson + Comtois?

I'd need to drop Comtois and add a lower level prospect or mid round pick. EJ absolutely has negative value to Anaheim. It's great for him and the Avs that he's having a good playoff run, but the Ducks won't be in the playoffs so what good does that do them?

Reactions: 405Entrance and bsu

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'd need to drop Comtois and add a lower level prospect or mid round pick. EJ absolutely has negative value to Anaheim. It's great for him and the Avs that he's having a good playoff run, but the Ducks won't be in the playoffs so what good does that do them?
well two benefits would be that EJ helps the Ducks get to the cap floor and would be a great leader and mentor for guys like Drysdale, Vaak, and Benoit.

Reactions: Duck Off
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad