Speculation: 2021-22 Trade Thread VI : Who's your Dadonov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What was Kesler's contract? $6.8M which is less than $4M. The ducks had available space, including the ability to send down waiver eligible players if they wanted more.
I'd say there was probably about 2.5 mill in usable cap space give or take a some if you did indeed want to demote players down to the AHL. A few things to remember. Kesler deal had term still so it's not a short term solution. Using LTIR for cap purposes is not easy or efficient meaning teams are less likely to want it if they have to deal with it longer than a year. Likely more of an issue was the fact that there weren't fans last year for most teams and the season was shortened on top of that. Budgets are a real thing. Also pretty sure our only ufa last year was who Grtzlaf?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
What was Kesler's contract? $6.8M which is less than $4M. The ducks had available space, including the ability to send down waiver eligible players if they wanted more.
Ownership may have also had no appetite to add any expenses last year with next to nothing in gate revenue. Even this year where they're weaponizing space a bit they're still trying to save om actual dollars where they can. It's a tricky balancing act.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It’s hard to gauge whether we should trade Gibson or not until we understand the lengths Verbeek is going to go to regarding using his draft capital to upgrade the roster.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s hard to gauge whether we should trade Gibson or not until we understand the lengths Verbeek is going to go to regarding using his draft capital to upgrade the roster.
I’m kinda just over gibson in general and should move him no matter the direction of the team… he’s becoming the most overrated goalie in the league. He has the occasional streak where he looks like a top 5 goalie but then sucks for the other half of the year

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Either Gibson has become a struggling goalie

Or he has basically given up. He seems like A pouty kid. It’s really weird.

His potential will get interest, his performance will get us less than many think he is worth

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
With the team really giving Zegras-Terry a big trial run and Verbeek talking about free agency(although could be lip service) I wonder if he's gonna take a big run at Palat in July. I wondered it before but he's kind of the exact guy you'd want on a line with those two and there's an obvious familiarity.

That's been a thought of mine since Verbeek signed on because of the Tampa history and Palat is certainly hitting the market.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That's been a thought of mine since Verbeek signed on because of the Tampa history and Palat is certainly hitting the market.
I don't know how I'd feel about it, if it happens. On one hand he's one of my favorite players and he's a bit of a perfect guy to add given some weaknesses, on the other I don't love free agency and he's gonna be 31. Maybe his age keeps term down but that feels like a deal that could be a quick mistake.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
One thing I hope we do in the offseason is take on more 1 year cap dumps from cap-strapped teams (like Dadonov). We have 1 more year of significant cap space before our young guys get bigger contracts.

I have compiled a list of candidates that could be options for us to take on for next season. All of these players have a contract that expires after next season, and are currently playing for contending teams in need of cap space.

Centers:
Sean Monahan ($6.375M AAV, 10 team no trade list)

Wingers:
James van Riemsdyk ($7.25M AAV, no trade protection)

Milan Lucic ($6M AAV, 10 teams he can be traded to starting July 1, 2022)
Jason Zucker ($5.5M AAV, 10 team no trade list)
Patric Hornqvist ($5.3M AAV, 8 team no trade list)
Nick Foligno ($3.8M AAV, 16 team no trade list)
J.T. Compher ($3.5M AAV, no trade protection)

Defensemen:
Erik Johnson ($6M AAV, 19 teams he can be traded to)
Duncan Keith ($5.5M AAV, NMC)

Goalies:
Semyon Varlamov ($5M AAV, 16 team no trade list)
Cam Talbot ($3.67M AAV, no trade protection)
Anton Khudobin ($3.33M AAV, no trade protection)
Laurent Brossoit ($2.3M AAV, no trade protection)
James Reimer ($2.25M AAV, 5 team no trade list)
Mike Smith ($2.2M AAV, no trade protection)

Other (better players, or team isn't as desperate):
Vladimir Tarasenko
Max Pacioretty
Jonathan Drouin

LTIR:
Oscar Klefbom
Ben Bishop
Jake Gardiner
Micheal Ferland

That's a pretty solid comprehensive list. Good call on JvR. I know it was reported we were scouting the Phantoms before the deadline and maybe you could pull an asset or two out of Fletcher.

Keith is my first go-to when I think about a true cap dump, but the only reason he waived to leave Chicago in the first place was because he wanted to play out the string in semi-retirement in Edmonton. Highly doubt he's going anywhere.

Reactions: All Mighty
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That's a pretty solid comprehensive list. Good call on JvR. I know it was reported we were scouting the Phantoms before the deadline and maybe you could pull an asset or two out of Fletcher.

Keith is my first go-to when I think about a true cap dump, but the only reason he waived to leave Chicago in the first place was because he wanted to play out the string in semi-retirement in Edmonton. Highly doubt he's going anywhere.
JVR's interesting with his no trade, I imagine many of the others will be tough with those clauses, especially Lucic. It doesn't help, though, that there's already so many bodies at that position. E.Johnson at least helps in that regard and might be open to being here.

Even though it's two years instead of one wouldn't be surprised if they looked at Seabrook's contract. It gets really cheap after the Lightning pay his bonus. The second year doesn't matter a whole lot, either. It also might not come to any of this, even in a situation like ours it can be easy to spend.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Timo Meier just got injured but might be another player we look at.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I think that while it's plausible that some of his issues are frustration with the situation, it's also plausible that Gibson's elite years depended on a level of insane athleticism that is more easily accessed in your early 20s than your late 20s.

I'm not convinced his trade value is as high as we want it to be, but I'm definitely fine with moving on

areaman714

Mar 22, 2022
There has been a massive number of transactions since COVID, several of which were cap driven deals. The list for this year is 6 pages long.

Examples of players traded for cap space reasons:

Phx took Andrew Ladd for two years ($5.5M AAV/$8M real dollars) and received 3 picks.

PHx took Gostisbehere for two years ($4.5m AAV/$6.5M real dollars), for 2 picks - and the player was actually useful.

PHX acquired Stralman, a prospect, and a pick for nothing in a salary cap dump.

Chicago acquired Tyler Johnson and a second round pick in exchange for BRETT SEABROOK, ARGUABLY THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE LEAGUE who is on LTIR.

There have been several deals where teams (I believe Detroit, San Jose, and possibly others) participated as the third team solely for purposes of retaining salary in exchange for a draft pick.

LTIR contracts create cap space (potentially). So they really are the same thing. And, as noted above, lots of other teams were looking to dump salaries, including NYI, Philly, and others.

Lots of ducks fans would have taken Johnson if he was accompanied by other assets. Tampa would have wanted to take Kesler's deal back instead of Seabrook's and likely would have paid extra for it.

Do you disagree that holding Kesler's contract (which was an asset) to the very last minute was good asset management by the ducks?
"Massive". Incidental trades. Meh.

I'm glad you have an affinity for the Coyotes, one of the most mismanaged teams in all of professional sport. Great example to support your point.

The Ducks were smart enough to no take on Johnson's $5 million cap hit through 2023/2024. By the way, the Hawks aren't doing all that great right now either. They had to dump Fluery to Minnesota for a 2nd AND retain 50% of his salary.

Seabrook? His contract/LTIR relief benefits the Bolts much more than Kesler's as it expires after the 2023/24 season whole Kesler's expires after this season.

Ghost? Nah. The Ducks would need more than a 2 and a 7 pick for him to take a roster spot over using to for a young D-prospect.

Folks need to think more globally and less in the moment.

Kesler's LTIR was as valuable to the Ducks as it was any other team. They were correct in not settling for a worthless return.

What calls by Murray with other GMs were you privy to?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So he missed his 2nd game with Vegas, and about to miss a game with Anaheim tonight. WTF is the NHL doing?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
So, not much of a conspiracy theory guy but if Vegas misses the playoffs and somehow wins the lottery I may become a believer.
You'll be at least somewhat relieved that they almost certainly can't get one of the top two picks, they'd damn near have to lose out for that to happen. Still could move up 10 spots but if they miss the most likely scenario is handing the Sabres a pick in the high teens.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Friedman says in his podcast that by no means is Verbeek done. He was adamant about having a willingness to make changes, and that really appealed to us and is a big part of why he ended up getting the job. Expects us to be one of the most active teams in the summer.

That‘s good to know, I also like how he acknowledged Zegras, Terry, and Drysdale and that his goal is to support them with skilled players and compliment them. That is huge if he can get those players needed. They have the cap and assets to do it Now.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
You'll be at least somewhat relieved that they almost certainly can't get one of the top two picks, they'd damn near have to lose out for that to happen. Still could move up 10 spots but if they miss the most likely scenario is handing the Sabres a pick in the high teens.
Oh I know. But it would be Vegas luck that their Injury plagued season turned into a top 10 pick. And they go back to being a good team next season.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Sean Monahan practicing with the healthy scratches today.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sean Monahan practicing with the healthy scratches today.

That’s an interesting name. He would likely be a cap casualty, I know his numbers were elevated playing with Gaudreau, but if he can play in a Top 6 winger role, can be good for Z or Terry. Maybe rejuvenates his career, he is only 27 so still in his prime. Calgary has some big pending UFA’s to re-sign so they need the cap. Get an asset to take him, like in the Dadonov trade. He also has a 10 team NTC, oh boy, lol.

Reactions: cheesymc

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
That’s an interesting name. He would likely be a cap casualty, I know his numbers were elevated playing with Gaudreau, but if he can play in a Top 6 winger role, can be good for Z or Terry. Maybe rejuvenates his career, he is only 27 so still in his prime. Calgary has some big pending UFA’s to re-sign so they need the cap. Get an asset to take him, like in the Dadonov trade. He also has a 10 team NTC, oh boy, lol.
Sounds like he is pulling a Comtois by Calgary fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad