2020 Playoffs - Potential 24 team tournament - can Habs make a run? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
It would be a trade. He's far from being a free agent.

I know, my message was confusing. But if he's traded to another shitty team, we can see the same scenario and he can end up asking for another trade. He wants to win, not to try to make the playoffs and then hope for the best "Everything can happen".

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

You read it wrong, brother.

upload_2020-5-29_17-49-56.png

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It’s certainly confusing, but we are talking about the first pick drawing, no? As in, a chance for Lafreniere? We’d be Team A if we lose to Pitt, would we not?

If a place holder wins any of the top 3 picks, there's phase 2 where all the teams eliminated from the play-in have an equal chance to get it.

Basically, Montreal gets f***ed over hard unless they manage to win the cup

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Yet they are still a bottom 10 team after like a decade. Goes to show you what an embarrassment and joke of a sports team they are.

-I wouldn't want to be bottom 10 for a decade and have 2 players to show for it after they were given to me.
-I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that abomination of a contract that Skinner has.
-I wouldn't want to give a #1 C for a late 1st and cap dumps.
-I wouldn't want to be a place that is considered toxic and have my players lose passion for hockey.
-I wouldn't want to be the team that got embarrassed after not being able to trade Scandella and then another team is able to flip him for considerably more value.

The vast majority of Sabres fans would switch situations with us in a second and strongly disagree with you.

-They have some good young players like Reinhart, Ristolainen, Jokiharju, Olofsson. Eichel and Dahlin are the elite ones, not the only good players.
-Yes, Skinner's contract is really bad, he may bounce back or not. We also have bad long contracts, like Price and Weber. Around 18M for two old players past their prime.
-Habs gave a future #1D for Gomez. We gave a young defenceman with a ton of potential for what's appears to be 50-point winger who can't defend.
-I'll give you that, but let's not act like our locker room is perfect when our GM keeps talking about adding leadership and character.
-Funny, because we waived DLR and he was traded for more value than what we got for Scandella.

I doubt that, because we missed the playoffs 4 times the last 5 years and we have no elite talent to compensate for it.

I mean what do you guys expect the players to say? "No, we don't deserve to be here and we will make sure to suck and lose the series".

Byron implies that the Habs still had a realistic chance to make the playoffs, had the season not been cancelled. That's delusional. But I don't know the question, maybe it was the right answer to give.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It’s certainly confusing, but we are talking about the first pick drawing, no? As in, a chance for Lafreniere? We’d be Team A if we lose to Pitt, would we not?
The only "benefit'' we get is an obvious one... we retain our position if no qualified team (Phase 2) win the lottery.

Basically, if we lose to Pittsburgh and no qualified team get top 3 in the lottery, we retain 8. If one team (from phase 2) win top 3 and it's not us we drop one position to 9, etc.

So basically if we lose to Pittsburgh we get either 1,2,3,8,9,10 or 11. That being said, 11 position would be very unlikely as it means all top 3 were won by qualified teams and we did not get one of the top 3 picks in the 2nd lottery (at equal odd).

Basically this lottery was made to favor the likes of the Leafs/Rangers/Minnesota and unfavorable for the Habs/Blackhawks/Arizona (NJD)

The fact that the Leafs have equal odds than us on winning a top 3 picks is a joke.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Trying to follow the movie Inception was easier than trying to understand this FUBAR of a draft lottery the NHL has created, just freakin wait til play in round is completed

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
-They have some good young players like Reinhart, Ristolainen, Jokiharju, Olofsson. Eichel and Dahlin are the elite ones, not the only good players.
The rest are really nothing that great. Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Petry, Danault obliterate their depth, not even close. It's not like they planned to get Eichel/Dahlin by making smart moves, they have been absolutely terrible for like a decade and only have 2 elite players.
-Yes, Skinner's contract is really bad, he may bounce back or not. We also have bad long contracts, like Price and Weber. Around 18M for two old players past their prime.
Except Price and Weber are still great players while Skinner is terrible, I genuinely can't believe you are making this the same comparison. The guy got outscored by Nick Cousins for crying out loud and is getting paid 1 million less than Price.
-Habs gave a future #1D for Gomez. We gave a young defenceman with a ton of potential for what's appears to be 50-point winger who can't defend.
Lol so Ristolainen is a good player but Drouin is Gomez. Ristolainen is the Drouin of Buffalo... Sergachev isn't a #1 D yet(if ever). It was a bad trade, but it's disingenuous to say it was as bad as giving up a #1 Selke and Conn Smythe winning center in his prime for a late 1st and taking on cap dumps or even the Gomez trade. I thought you were better than that.
-I'll give you that, but let's not act like our locker room is perfect when our GM keeps talking about adding leadership and character.
I have yet to see guys Weber and Tatar say they have lost passion for hockey the way ROR and Eichel have.
-Funny, because we waived DLR and he was traded for more value than what we got for Scandella.
What? It's not even close to the same thing. DLR was traded ONE YEAR after being waived. Scandella was traded months after.
I doubt that, because we missed the playoffs 4 times the last 5 years and we have no elite talent to compensate for it.
There have been several Sabres fans coming here and saying that, some on mainboard, and you can even look at their board. They have been bottom 10 for a decade, it's not even close to the same thing. They are miserable, few of them even care about having another top 10 pick for the millionth time in a row.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If a place holder wins any of the top 3 picks, there's phase 2 where all the teams eliminated from the play-in have an equal chance to get it.

Basically, Montreal gets f***ed over hard unless they manage to win the cup
The first draw is for the first pick. From what I gather there is about a 25% chance for a play-in team to win that, and of the play-in teams, we have the best chance with about a 25% chance of being that play in team.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The first draw is for the first pick. From what I gather there is about a 25% chance for a play-in team to win that, and of the play-in teams, we have the best chance with about a 25% chance of being that play in team.

Yeah but the Habs don’t get to keep that pick if Team A wins it. It just means there is another lottery to see who gets it.

Locks

May 28, 2005
The only "benefit'' we get is an obvious one... we retain our position if no qualified team (Phase 2) win the lottery.

Basically, if we lose to Pittsburgh and no qualified team get top 3 in the lottery, we retain 8. If one team (from phase 2) win top 3 and it's not us we drop one position to 9, etc.

So basically if we lose to Pittsburgh we get either 1,2,3,8,9,10 or 11. That being said, 11 position would be very unlikely as it means all top 3 were won by qualified teams and we did not get one of the top 3 picks in the 2nd lottery (at equal odd).

Basically this lottery was made to favor the likes of the Leafs/Rangers/Minnesota and unfavorable for the Habs/Blackhawks/Arizona (NJD)

The fact that the Leafs have equal odds than us on winning a top 3 picks is a joke.

You are wright, they have equal adds to us in the second phase of the lottery and it is a joke. But these odds apply to that second phase and if you look at the overall odds Habs have considerably better odds than the Leafs because the Leafs have a much higher odds of beating the Jackets than Habs beating the Pens. So yes, the odds are equal in the second phase but the Leafs are considerably less likely to get to the second phase of the lottery.

So the most likely scenario is that we will draft 8 or 9 which is a pretty good outcome under the circumstances.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
One has to wonder about the possibilities of a late trade deadline, one in which the Habs use their 8th OV pick to strengthen the defence. A trade for 2013 8th OV 25yrs. old Rasmus Ristolainen(RHD), joining Drouin, Domi, Dauphin, Lehkonen, and G.Olafsson as Habs from that draft class.:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Its insane to me that they don't simply just end the season right now and prepare for the draft and UFA season. Desperate for a buck I guess

Absolute insanity. Imagine if a player gets it and it damages their lung in a way that makes the player unable to continue his career. Imagine that being a star player. You can already see some pro soccer teams in Germany resumed their seasons with the type of measures the NHL intends to put in place but ... already they have had cases of COVID-19 and have had entire teams needing to be put in quarantine. What a joke this tournament would be if that ends up happening. With that many people... and with how easily the virus spreads... it almost seems like it's inevitable. But that's the NHL for you. Making the wrong decisions since '93 with Bettman under the Jacobs family's thumb.

I like seeing our players' take on it with Mete, Domi, Gallagher, Byron... They know it's dumb to resume play but they don't have much choice.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Yet they are still a bottom 10 team after like a decade. Goes to show you what an embarrassment and joke of a sports team they are.

-I wouldn't want to be bottom 10 for a decade and have 2 players to show for it after they were given to me.
-I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that abomination of a contract that Skinner has.
-I wouldn't want to give a #1 C for a late 1st and cap dumps.
-I wouldn't want to be a place that is considered toxic and have my players lose passion for hockey.
-I wouldn't want to be the team that got embarrassed after not being able to trade Scandella and then another team is able to flip him for considerably more value.

The vast majority of Sabres fans would switch situations with us in a second and strongly disagree with you.

I remember that previous GM the sabres had who did everyting in his power to tank for McDavid and ended up missing it. It was hilarious. All season long making comments about McDavid... worst GM of all time. He was so pathetic. Jesus....

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Watch Habs beat the Pens and then upset in the 1st round as usual and then get cracked in round 2.

The Montréal Canadiens are proud to select, from Bumsville, Idaho, Leslie McDud.

The way things have been going since 2003, we would draft Leslie McDud with the 1st overall. But yeah, I would prefer if we had our old 20% shot at a top 3 pick over that 3 of 5 against the penguins...

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
The rest are really nothing that great. Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Petry, Danault obliterate their depth, not even close. It's not like they planned to get Eichel/Dahlin by making smart moves, they have been absolutely terrible for like a decade and only have 2 elite players.

They make up for it with true elite talent.

Except Price and Weber are still great players while Skinner is terrible, I genuinely can't believe you are making this the same comparison. The guy got outscored by Nick Cousins for crying out loud and is getting paid 1 million less than Price.

He scored 40 goals the year before and was always a pretty good goal scorer. Their is a chance he bounce back, in 2014-2015 he had a worse season than this year. His contract is really bad, but we have bad contracts too, with two old players signed for close to 18m/year. A borderline 35 years old top-d with 6 years left in his contract and a goalie with bad save % two times the last 3 years.
Weber and Price are not great players anymore. Price was outproduced the last two seasons by Darcy Kuemper who makes 7M less.

Lol so Ristolainen is a good player but Drouin is Gomez. Ristolainen is the Drouin of Buffalo... Sergachev isn't a #1 D yet(if ever). It was a bad trade, but it's disingenuous to say it was as bad as giving up a #1 Selke and Conn Smythe winning center in his prime for a late 1st and taking on cap dumps or even the Gomez trade. I thought you were better than that.
I have yet to see guys Weber and Tatar say they have lost passion for hockey the way ROR and Eichel have.

Why are you comparing Drouin to Gomez ? We traded McDonagh for an over the hill Gomez. I never said that Sergy will be a #1D, I said that we gave a young defenceman with a ton of potential for Drouin. So one #1D and a top-4D with potential to be more for a finished #2C and a 50-point winger. That's really bad too.

Let's not forget that MB refused to trade Poehling+ something for ROR...

The Habs were not any better than the Sabres chances are ROR and Eichel would be fed up with losing here too.

What? It's not even close to the same thing. DLR was traded ONE YEAR after being waived. Scandella was traded months after.

We got nothing for DLR and after 13 points in 76 games (worse stats than with us) with the Wings, Yzerman flipped him for an a young offensive player. At least Sabres got something for Scandella.

There have been several Sabres fans coming here and saying that, some on mainboard, and you can even look at their board. They have been bottom 10 for a decade, it's not even close to the same thing. They are miserable, few of them even care about having another top 10 pick for the millionth time in a row.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

I don't think we are in a good place to call out other teams, especially after we lost 4 games this season to the Red Wings.

We are pretty much as bad as them in the last 5 years, we won one round they won zero, but to compensate they had the chance to draft Eichel and Dahlin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad