2020 Offseason Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Yeah, maybe. I just hope they figure something out that makes sense. It's almost too quiet....

I really missed you folks. Your Threads are so interesting.
19BA639D-625B-4956-80B7-9D0D68443CDF.gif

Don’t try to pretend otherwise....

Looking forward to the start of the season. Hopefully it’s early in 2021

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
An article in the Inquirer today on Morin. He was devastated by the 2nd ACL injury, not a surprise. But he has been rehabbing well and is expected to be ready. The thing is the article mentioned he needs to go through waivers to play for the Phantoms, which everyone, including him, agrees he needs. The big question is, with his injury history and no performance, will someone claim him due to his potential? I figure some team might.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
An article in the Inquirer today on Morin. He was devastated by the 2nd ACL injury, not a surprise. But he has been rehabbing well and is expected to be ready. The thing is the article mentioned he needs to go through waivers to play for the Phantoms, which everyone, including him, agrees he needs. The big question is, with his injury history and no performance, will someone claim him due to his potential? I figure some team might.

Possible, but I don't know how likely it is given that they'd have to keep him on their roster. Given his lack of playing time, I'd be extremely surprised if anyone claimed him at this point.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Hope so, because if no one claims him, its definitive proof he's never going to be an NHL player.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Here's the link. I wish Sam well.
After two ACL surgeries, Samuel Morin is ‘thankful’ and ‘lucky’ to have another chance with the Flyers | Sam Carchidi

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

I get the feeling that he won't be claimed unless Fletch has quietly put the message out there that they would like Sam to have a chance somewhere else.

It just feels like a dick move to pluck Sam away from a team that has invested time, patience, and resources into seeing this kid succeed through two major major setbacks. Some kind of honour among thieves.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin had a shot to beat out Hagg, then he got hurt. If he's healthy, he would have gotten a 10 game audition, and that's all you can ask for, enough PT to show you belong.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No way Morin gets claimed. If you claim him, he has to stay on your NHL roster. No team is going to want to commit an NHL roster spot for a defenseman with 9 career NHL games & coming off 2 lost seasons due to major knee surgeries.

Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this. I’ll post it here anyways though:

Two Non-Negotiables For The Modern Defenseman

Jack’s an excellent read and this is no exception.

Justin Holl is 6'4 205, I'm sure that helps a lot with reach, sealing off forwards and winning board battles.

He fits the profile of the big defensive defenseman who blossoms late b/c he has limited margin for error and needs the minor league experience to perfect his technique - it's not like the competition for defensive slots has been that fierce in Toronto the last few years.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The reason Hagg played before Morin is Morin is strictly a LHD.
Hextall said that season he planned to play all three, and Morin got injured just when an opportunity opened up for him to play a stretch of games - and that, not speculation, would have told us if he was as good or better than Hagg.

Unfortunately, Morin has really bad luck, I don't think I'd advise him to leave the house on Friday the 13th.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I wanted Zadorov, but Sam could still be a player, he just needs to beat out Hagg...
That one camp where it was between Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim I really thought it went (in terms of who played the best) Morin, then Sanheim, then Hagg. Weirdly enough, they thought Hagg was the best. Not saying I’m right, but Hagg can easily be considered one of the worst Dmen in the NHL over the past couple years while Sanheim is one of the better offensive Dmen. That was also right before Morin had his string of injuries.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall never said Hagg was the best, he said Hagg could play both sides, while Sanheim and Morin were LHDs (Sanheim played RHD with Provorov a couple years later and got moved back to LHD to stay).

Morin was struggling handling the puck without looking down, we don't know if that would have been exposed in the NHL.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Hextall never said Hagg was the best, he said Hagg could play both sides, while Sanheim and Morin were LHDs (Sanheim played RHD with Provorov a couple years later and got moved back to LHD to stay).

Morin was struggling handling the puck without looking down, we don't know if that would have been exposed in the NHL.
If mgmt makes decisions off of what side they can play then that’s a major yikes. We know the experiment has been worse than bad.

Reactions: Rebels57

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Sanheim also played RD next to Morin with the Phantoms years before they tried it again in the NHL.

Reactions: FLYguy3911
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad