GDT: 2020 NHL Free Agent Frenzy VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
probably at some point yes. He was a Harvard grad who was pretty highly regarded and was the assistant GM of a team that had recently made two cups. Plus he was highly regarded in re: to player development.

Just because you don’t like the guy doesn’t mean you can go back and re-write history for him.
Not trying to re-write history for the guy, he's in the role now, doesn't mean I have to like the job he's doing. The consensus is no one knows if it's qualifications that got him the GM job or if it's because he's a former bruin.

Reactions: TinyRivers

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The teams clearly not done as there are a ton of ppl they need to figure out what to do with, all the people going ballistic right now are sports radio-listening drama queens.

maybe give the offseason longer than 3 days, idk. Just a thought. If they look like they do today when the season begins feel free to pull this post up

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Sweeney's made good moves & bad but mostly we're contenders every year. Let's see what else he does after the free agency dust settles. I think we have a competitive team right now as is. Still would like to add 1 F & 1 D though.

Fatmancryin

Nov 12, 2018
Tell me how he has been horrible. His assist numbers were down just this year on a disappointing Nashville team.

We don’t need assists we need a goal scorer!!

His best years 17-18

In 19 he had 15 goals 63 games and yes had 49 points.

what’s to say he isn’t going to continue the downward trend with the Bruins? It’s all about chemistry right since that’s what you saying?

I will say it again we need someone who can put the puck in net.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Tell me how he has been horrible. His assist numbers were down just this year on a disappointing Nashville team.
Yup. His numbers easily shoot back up to 60 if playing with DK and Pasta. Plays PK too which needs Nordy replacement. Can transition to center or rw if needed. Like this option much better than the one-note Dadonov/Hoffman

Reactions: wintersej

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Eh he actually inherited a pretty mediocre team and they didn’t start playing well again until they fired Julien. They had some nice pieces but so do most teams.

he inherited the Perfection line, Krejci, Chara, Krug, Gryz and Rask.

Core piece wise he added McAvoy and Carlo. JDB was a nice pick and good forward. Dealt for Coyle who is a 3C...

That's it, in five years. While not terrible it's hardly super impressive to me.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
The teams clearly not done as there are a ton of ppl they need to figure out what to do with, all the people going ballistic right now are sports radio-listening drama queens.

maybe give the offseason longer than 3 days, idk. Just a thought. If they look like they do today when the season begins feel free to pull this post up

The problem is people could pull a post like this up every year for the past four years. Let's hope it's different this time around.

Reactions: bruinsfan

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Core piece wise he added McAvoy and Carlo. JDB was a nice pick and good forward. Dealt for Coyle who is a 3C...

That's it, in five years. While not terrible it's hardly super impressive to me.
Inherited is a pretty funny word here considering he was part of the team that brought a bunch of those pieces in.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
We don’t need assists we need a goal scorer!!

His best years 17-18

In 19 he had 15 goals 63 games and yes had 49 points.

what’s to say he isn’t going to continue the downward trend with the Bruins? It’s all about chemistry right since that’s what you saying?

I will say it again we need someone who can put the puck in net.
Pasta, marchand, smith, kase, debrusk can all score. Bruce just needs to not be stubborn with lineup. "Perfection" line is his weakness.

Reactions: BMC

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I mean the team that just won the cup had a 14, 16, and 26 goal scorers as their second line so yes it is.

The Lightning also have the most loaded roster in the NHL and was missing Stamkos. Something tells me if he was healthy one of those guys would have bumped to the 3rd line. DeBrusk isn't a true 2nd liner. If he was then chances are we wouldn't be talking about Hoffman. I like DeBrusk too. But lets be honest on who he is as of right now.

Reactions: duffy

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

So Gryz was still in college at the time. He has signed both Marchand and Pasta to huge discounts. Krug didn't take off until after he joined. And this isn't even talking about some of the pieces that succeeded that are no longer part of the team like Nash, Nash, and Mojo. Does he need to do more yes but I don't think its been as bad as people make it out to be.

Reactions: duffy

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sweeney's made good moves & bad but mostly we're contenders every year. Let's see what else he does after the free agency dust settles. I think we have a competitive team right now as is. Still would like to add 1 F & 1 D though.

we contend every year due to the players chiarelli brought in. Bergy, Marchand, pasta, Krejci, Chara, Rask.

In five years Seeeney has brought in three guys that have stuck. McAvoy, debrusk and Carlo

Reactions: Hali33

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Let Krug go and got hung-up on OEL...
Signed Smith during the Hall hang-up...
We still need 1LD and 2LW... with DADDY/THEHOFF/TOFO out there
So what's the hang-up now?

Reactions: bruinsfan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

They were not a playoff team when the team was inherited iirc. Foundation was in place but they weren’t using it all that well

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
The Lightning also have the most loaded roster in the NHL and was missing Stamkos. Something tells me if he was healthy one of those guys would have bumped to the 3rd line. DeBrusk isn't a true 2nd liner. If he was then chances are we wouldn't be talking about Hoffman. I like DeBrusk too. But lets be honest on who he is as of right now.
So a 17 goal scorer instead of a 14 goal scorer.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The problem is people could pull a post like this up every year for the past four years. Let's hope it's different this time around.

being a big player in free agency year after year is a stupid way to build a team and it’s bound for failure. He’s tried to make a couple big signings that he thought would fit in, they just didn’t work (Beleskey, Backes). He’s done great with the depth signings

basically my complaint with him is not getting Krejci a winger that meshes well with him for more than half a season at a time (I miss u Mojo). But imo it hasn’t been for a lack of trying. They’ve picked up 3 established names (Nash, Backes, Mojo) and Beleskey who was coming off of 30 goals in 82 games the prior season. They’ve tried kids. We’ve just gotten wildly unlucky. Statistically speaking we should have found a solution by now lol

Reactions: kjpm and duffy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad