GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft [SN, NBCSN; 6PM Central]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The most common thing I've seen in all of the reports is that he's a dual threat shooter and distributor, and I've not seen anything that suggested he was reluctant to shoot. He was more of a shooter his 1st year, and in his 2nd year he started developing and demonstrating incredible passing skills (more than a few who suggested he was Top 5 at the skillset in the draft). He's become more of a pass-first player according to his coach, and the way he's described it was pretty interesting. Bourque's explanation was even more intriguing. He said he's consciously trying to draw people towards him so that he can open up 1 or more teammates.

The only real inconsistency I've seen in reporting is the skating for sure. Most seemed to suggest that it was a problem earlier and something, like his playmaking, that improved in his next year. Others just say small and not the best skater.

Some early draft reports threw out a Danault comparison which I think may have caused some of the confusion.

Didn't Barzal say something along these lines at some points too? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Barzal certainly does do that though, except he obviously uses his speed to do so instead.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think Faksa was touted as a possible 2C, more likely a 3C if his offense didn't develop. He might have been a low end 2C (i.e. 15-20 goals vs the 20+ ideally had by a 2C) He has a high compete level, and good character, as does Dellandria. So, that's where the comparisons seem to match up. Hopefully, it is true that is playmaking is better than either of those two when he reaches AHL and ultimately NHL.

We still have to realize, he is a 30th pick, maybe ranked by some as high as 15, probably consensus 22 that we got at 30. Good value, but still not a lock to be an NHL second line talent. Overall, though, I think we have to be satisfied with the pick.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Faksa at the time of his draft had considerably more offensive upside that his resultant NHL level. He was considered a big, smart, goal-scoring centre that had high-upside. Unfortunately, he completely plateaued offensively (regressed even) and ended up as a bottom-6 centre.

Dellandrea, you could probably compare to Faksa. Solid, smart centre with a lot of room to grow offensively. I would say Dellandrea showed a lot more in his final two OHL seasons than Faksa, so he's ahead of the curve there and could still become a low-end 2nd-line centre.

Bourque is the more high-risk offensive type of player you see in the back half of any first round. Certain elite tools, but some deficiencies that you need to bet on him overcoming to become an NHL player. In terms of hockey IQ, Bourque is clearly a step up on Faksa and Dellandrea. You can watch clips of Bourque and see passes that straight line players, like Faksa or Dellandrea, would never make. You can also see how he doesn't have the same compete level or strength that Dellandrea has.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That whole 2012 draft ended up pretty underwhelming as a whole.

In a re-draft Esa probably ends up close top 10 player

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Minnesota picking up a couple really good young centers, you hate to see it
At least they made the awful trade with Nashville today. And then Nashville making two buyouts that'll kneecap them for years.

Mismanagement by those teams is definitely preventing a doomsday scenario in our division.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Minny and Nashville are going no where.. their cap situation and team makeup are both disasters.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I think you guys are overreacting a bit to those moves .
Bonino has 1 yr left.
2mil in dead cap space is a lot but they're not up against the cap anyway

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I think you guys are overreacting a bit to those moves .
Bonino has 1 yr left.
2mil in dead cap space is a lot but they're not up against the cap anyway
Eight years of dead cap will make it harder to compete in those years. 2 million can go a long way to signing a better player.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jesus all those ads for scummy cash for X corporations really piss me off. Signs of how bad things are in the US i guess.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Eight years of dead cap will make it harder to compete in those years. 2 million can go a long way to signing a better player.
I'm sure it won't be as big of a detriment as you think. Their vital pieces are already locked up long term.
They need adjustments to their roster obviously but in the latter portion of that buyout they'll be in the throws of a rebuild anyway

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm sure it won't be as big of a detriment as you think. Their vital pieces are already locked up long term.
They need adjustments to their roster obviously but in the latter portion of that buyout they'll be in the throws of a rebuild anyway

Who is their goalie though ? Askarov is still 2 years away in the KHL , Rinne is really old now and Saros not that good ( albeit the Stars somehow can't beat the guy and got shutout 3 times by him )

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Who is their goalie though ? Askarov is still 2 years away in the KHL , Rinne is really old now and Saros not that good ( albeit the Stars somehow can't beat the guy and got shutout 3 times by him )
Goalies aren't hard to come back and they have a solid dcore to put in front of whoever they decide on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad