GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft [SN, NBCSN; 6PM Central]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Bourque is like the opposite of a Faksa pick. He's a top 6 or bust pick.

QMJHL also isn't exactly known as a league where you find your defensively responsible physical checking line centers.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Bourque is like the opposite of a Faksa pick. He's a top 6 or bust pick.

QMJHL also isn't exactly known as a league where you find your defensively responsible physical checking line centers.
Everything I had read said he was good at alot of things but exceptional at nothing.
And that is upside is a low end 2c.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Everything I had read said he was good at alot of things but exceptional at nothing.
And that is upside is a low end 2c.

Bourque is very good all around offensive forward but he's neither big or a very fast skater. His best skill is his hockey IQ .

Faksa was allways seen as a low ceiling guy but very safe. Bourque is not that at all.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I don't follow prospects at all. Everything I'm reading is all over the place. Some people are talking like we drafted a shut down center while others are talking like we drafted an offensive #2 center. Did we get a poor mans Toews or a poor mans Clayton Keller?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's certainly not a shutdown center. Not even sure thats possible to find in the QMJHL

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't follow prospects at all. Everything I'm reading is all over the place. Some people are talking like we drafted a shut down center while others are talking like we drafted an offensive #2 center. Did we get a poor mans Toews or a poor mans Clayton Keller?
right. the readings are all over the place on him. doesn't usually bode well

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

It's really pretty simple. He is not a defensive center at all. Offensive guy

Outside of NoCogs I'm not seeing anywhere that says hes a shutdown guy

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You said he was a Faksa replacement and I have no idea how to interpret that besides being a shut-down guy
No I said we got Faksas replacement (Dellandrea) replacement.

Based on what I've read he's got low end 2c potential which makes him a step above Dellandrea, but that most likely means he's another 3c

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Stars picked a highend skill guy ( with some obvious weak spots ) who fell to them . I don't see the problem here. And no he's not a 3C . He's either a fulltime top 6 guy or not an NHL player at all.

Not sure what the hell you wanted them to do at #30 . They went for skill this time and not a safe option.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

They're (the readings) not though. I think he's talking about you on this board and there not being a consensus.

I guess I'm asking what readings are you talking about? This isn't a good thing by any means, but defense was consistently discussed as a either a weakness or not a strength but not terrible. There were some that questioned effort in the defensive zone while right or wrong giving him the benefit of the doubt for being overplayed potentially and possibly conserving energy.

I'm either overlooking these writings you're talking about or haven't seen them.

I've not seen one that suggested he was a plus player in the defensive zone or someone that could play that role. He was asked to play that role at the Ivan Hlinka on the 4th line and didn't have a great deal of success. The closest thing to what you're talking about that I've seen is he's been a top PK for his team in the Q, one that seems to be high octane offense without a great deal of defensive options.

For once ... Dallas actually did take a skilled player who isn't safe and doesn't have the Bottom 6 as a likely fallback.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
No I said we got Faksas replacement (Dellandrea) replacement.

Based on what I've read he's got low end 2c potential which makes him a step above Dellandrea, but that most likely means he's another 3c

I got to be honest ... I feel like you're heavily backpedaling, and I know you'll never admit that. Faksa replacement means one thing, and you've been pretty clear that you see Dellandrea as Faksa 2.o (your words) ... or a defensive center. You've felt that for a while and stated it often. I'm not even saying that's a wrong opinion, but you have communicated this even recently.

Now you're using semantics to argue 3C vs. defensive center vs. IDK honestly.

Reactions: Nikki Potnick

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They even went out of their way to pick a player from the Q which they haven't done since 2013 . This pick is very much the opposite of the typical Dallas Stars draft pick.

A small french Canadian highly skilled offensive minded Center . Thats doesn't sound like what the Stars usually pick at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
EjscbVOWsAMbAOd

See? Good value!!!

Reactions: LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I got to be honest ... I feel like you're heavily backpedaling, and I know you'll never admit that. Faksa replacement means one thing, and you've been pretty clear that you see Dellandrea as Faksa 2.o (your words) ... or a defensive center. You've felt that for a while and stated it often. I'm not even saying that's a wrong opinion, but you have communicated this even recently.

Now you're using semantics to argue 3C vs. defensive center vs. IDK honestly.
It's my fault for saying "Faksa replacement... Replacement" instead of "replacement for our replacement 3c" though I'm sure the same conclusion would have been made regardless of my wording.

Here's what I've read about him .
High iq (finally)
Bad skating(eh)
Good skating(?)
Not great skating but good edgework/agility
Good speed
Kind of average speed
Good shot
OK shot but doesn't use it enough
Good distribution of the puck(v good)
Decent defensively but not great
Good defensively when he wants to be/ lazy at times (consistency issues.)
Weak (small size)
Poor acceleration
Slippery.
Middle 6 potential
Low end 2c
Top 6 winger if converted......

The only consistent things I've seen from the different profiles is he's primary a puck distributor, has a high iq and middle 6 potential at best. Which generally means 3c unless everything goes right and this is Dallas nothing ever goes right with our prospects.

The initial profiles I read said that because of his high iq he'd likely make it to the nhl in a bottom 6 role if nothing else, even if limited by his stature.

Hence my I hate these safe picks Post.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The most common thing I've seen in all of the reports is that he's a dual threat shooter and distributor, and I've not seen anything that suggested he was reluctant to shoot. He was more of a shooter his 1st year, and in his 2nd year he started developing and demonstrating incredible passing skills (more than a few who suggested he was Top 5 at the skillset in the draft). He's become more of a pass-first player according to his coach, and the way he's described it was pretty interesting. Bourque's explanation was even more intriguing. He said he's consciously trying to draw people towards him so that he can open up 1 or more teammates.

The only real inconsistency I've seen in reporting is the skating for sure. Most seemed to suggest that it was a problem earlier and something, like his playmaking, that improved in his next year. Others just say small and not the best skater.

Some early draft reports threw out a Danault comparison which I think may have caused some of the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad