GDT: 2020 NHL Draft - Day 2 - October 7th - 11:30am ET

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
This is astonishing.

Most people here celebrated like a motherf***er when we took Brink last year. He was also a kid with a bomb of a shot and questionable skating.

Brink was perceived differently because he offered a lot of qualities. Including carrying the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone. Something that was brought up as a huge negative for Foerster.

I mentioned such about Brink during my April prospect write-up.

Sorry for quoting myself, but I failed to mention one other big difference between the perception and reaction on draft day between Brink and Foerster.

Foerster's dependency on the PP to score was a big red flag. Brink didn't have this issue at all.

Fast forward to this year and Brink was slightly PP heavy in his scoring as a freshman. But I watched enough games to know that by the 2nd half of the year he was creating even strength scoring chances like a mad man. Despite having ES linemates at Denver who were subpar. Come to think of it, he created ES scoring chances at a high rate at the WJC also with questionable linemates.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This is astonishing.

Most people here celebrated like a motherf***er when we took Brink last year. He was also a kid with a bomb of a shot and questionable skating.

Brink was perceived differently because he offered a lot of qualities. Including carrying the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone. Something that was brought up as a huge negative for Foerster.

I mentioned such about Brink during my April prospect write-up.

I don't want to say Foerster is a dead ringer for the Bellows archetype, because Foerster actually has some hockey sense and playmaking, it would seem. But this is also what we discussed about "skating" being so simplistic a term, especially in projecting improvement. Brink has (had!) great footwork and a quick burst. It's why he was devastating in cycles. His stride just would break down north-south. That's physical development; that's technique development. But he was not a blanket slow or poor skater. He'll always be substance over style with his skating, but his skating at Denver was already better than when drafted. And, yes, he's far more skilled in other areas and at 5v5.

Foerster's N-S stride is probably cleaner than Brink's when drafted. But he looks like he has heavy feet too.

This one really got me:

thats-not-how-this-works.gif

:laugh: Also loved reading he tried to 'trap' Hexy on the sniper issue but that wily old codger didn't fall for it.

Charlie has always had a secret sniper fetish. Bellows, Tolvanen, etc. He's longed for Mike Hoffman for years too.

Cognitive dissonance, eh?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Sorry for quoting myself, but I failed to mention one other big difference between the perception and reaction on draft day between Brink and Foerster.

Foerster's dependency on the PP to score was a big red flag. Brink didn't have this issue at all.

Fast forward to this year and Brink was slightly PP heavy in his scoring as a freshman. But I watched enough games to know that by the 2nd half of the year he was creating even strength scoring chances like a mad man. Despite having ES linemates at Denver who were subpar. Come to think of it, he created ES scoring chances at a high rate at the WJC also with questionable linemates.

BINKSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: Stizzle

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't want to say Foerster is a dead ringer for the Bellows archetype, because Foerster actually has some hockey sense and playmaking, it would seem. But this is also what we discussed about "skating" being so simplistic a term, especially in projecting improvement. Brink has (had!) great footwork and a quick burst. It's why he was devastating in cycles. His stride just would break down north-south. That's physical development; that's technique development. But he was not a blanket slow or poor skater. He'll always be substance over style with his skating, but his skating at Denver was already better than when drafted. And, yes, he's far more skilled in other areas and at 5v5.

Foerster's N-S stride is probably cleaner than Brink's when drafted. But he looks like he has heavy feet too.

Charlie has always had a secret sniper fetish. Bellows, Tolvanen, etc. He's longed for Mike Hoffman for years too.

Cognitive dissonance, eh?

H91iMnE.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad