GDT: 2020 NHL Draft - Day 2 - October 7th - 11:30am ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
LOL Pronman gave the Rangers the highest grade in the draft
I guess if you don't look at the totality of their draft process and just consider they got the best player in the draft. Trading up for Schneider when you have RHD coming out of the ears is a pretty terrible move to me. Cuylle isn't very good either. That's your top 60. Tarnstrom seemed early but I see the appeal. Garand is a good goalie prospect. Getting Vierling and Berard in the 5th was great value. Rempe is a 6'8 forward! He's young and put up decent numbers on a bad team, but I don't know how you can function at that size. And then they took another goalie.

They rebounded late, but it could have been so much better.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I guess if you don't look at the totality of their draft process and just consider they got the best player in the draft. Trading up for Schneider when you have RHD coming out of the ears is a pretty terrible move to me. Cuylle isn't very good either. That's your top 60. Tarnstrom seemed early but I see the appeal. Garand is a good goalie prospect. Getting Vierling and Berard in the 5th was great value. Rempe is a 6'8 forward! He's young and put up decent numbers on a bad team, but I don't know how you can function at that size. And then they took another goalie.

They rebounded late, but it could have been so much better.
It isn't that they had a bad draft, it is just more so a waste of an exercise. He bases the grades off of who got the most overall value from the draft. I get that is ultimately what matters from a draft, however a day after the draft it's basically just listing teams that had the lottery picks and the most picks. Like I need to pay money for that type of analysis? There are plenty of reasons why teams might have more/less picks and higher/lower picks. Grading how they did based on the value going into the draft is actual analysis and much more important.

I am certain that half of what he writes is just bullshit to get people to react. It is such a waste of time to read him.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I thought San Jose killed it. They didn't pick until 31 and got 5 guys who I had as top 60 talents with their first 5 picks.
Senators had I think the 2nd or 3rd highest grade too. Has a team ever started a draft with that much draft capital before? I can't remember a time off the top of my head. Imagine being a fan of the team and knowing how franchise altering the last two days can be, and coming away with that.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What do you think about their approach in the 7th? Four picks in that round is interesting.
I don't have a strong feeling about any of the players they took, but I love the strategy. They traded their 5th rounder for two 7's the last two years. I think once you get outside the top ~120, the players are all pretty much the same quality so the more swings you take, the better. The Flyers went the other way.

With the exception of Raska, they are either Europeans or guys going to college so there is a lot of runway. They only need one guy to pop for it to be a win. And considering who they took with the first 5 picks it might not matter. They had a great draft.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Senators had I think the 2nd or 3rd highest grade too. Has a team ever started a draft with that much draft capital before? I can't remember a time off the top of my head. Imagine being a fan of the team and knowing how franchise altering the last two days can be, and coming away with that.
Ottawa had the worst draft imo. They absolutely shit down their leg.

Stutzle I don't think was BPA, but if you think he's a center it's fine. Go for it. Sanderson is a really good player, but 5th overall is too rich for me when he's not even going to play on the top pair as long as Chabot is there. Which granted may not be long. I just think passing on a kid that played in your backyard and lapped the OHL and is probably an NHL-ready center was a mistake. Greig goes 28th and look at the next three picks. I think they are going to be kicking themselves. You can poke holes in Jarventie's game, but he's fine where he went. Trade up for Tyler Kleven! Gross. Sokolov had a great year, but in the 2nd round? 20 year olds from the CHL aren't great investments. Especially if they can't skate.

And then they take four guys who weren't even ranked. Not that consensus ranking mean much, but I don't know you can go off the board that many times and think you are smarter than everyone else. They took two more 20 year olds, and an '01 that had 29 points in 58 games in the Q (first year player on a deep team but still what are the odds that guy pans out?).

The draft is hard, but some teams just make it harder than it has to be. Ottawa is generally a good drafting team too.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ottawa had the worst draft imo. They absolutely shit down their leg.

Stutzle I don't think was BPA, but if you think he's a center it's fine. Go for it. Sanderson is a really good player, but 5th overall is too rich for me when he's not even going to play on the top pair as long as Chabot is there. Which granted may not be long. I just think passing on a kid that played in your backyard and lapped the OHL and is probably an NHL-ready center was a mistake. Greig goes 28th and look at the next three picks. I think they are going to be kicking themselves. You can poke holes in Jarventie's game, but he's fine where he went. Trade up for Tyler Kleven! Gross. Sokolov had a great year, but in the 2nd round? 20 year olds from the CHL aren't great investments. Especially if they can't skate.

And then they take four guys who weren't even ranked. Not that consensus ranking mean much, but I don't know you can go off the board that many times and think you are smarter than everyone else. They took two more 20 year olds, and an '01 that had 29 points in 58 games in the Q (first year player on a deep team but still what are the odds that guy pans out?).

The draft is hard, but some teams just make it harder than it has to be. Ottawa is generally a good drafting team too.
All this and the "draft analysts" on the broadcast were praising Dorion for a solid five minutes straight for the incredible job he was doing in rebuilding that team.

They said they could compete in the next two years.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I don't have a strong feeling about any of the players they took, but I love the strategy. They traded their 5th rounder for two 7's the last two years. I think once you get outside the top ~120, the players are all pretty much the same quality so the more swings you take, the better. The Flyers went the other way.

With the exception of Raska, they are either Europeans or guys going to college so there is a lot of runway. They only need one guy to pop for it to be a win. And considering who they took with the first 5 picks it might not matter. They had a great draft.
DWJ was asked about the philosophy of having that many 7ths and pretty much if they were picking off their board and he said they wouldn't pick a guy off their board, they would try and trade out. Could just be some self-assertion, but given how the draft went they maybe just had a lot of guys left on their board and figured they could get them late.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He’s following the Bill Meltzer playbook of shilling. Criticize the fans not the organization when you need to critical.
f4e3cbb0dafc8f9360e613e897e2e858.png

They're all just so transparent.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’d love to go scuba with a guy that chose to bring his fins but didn’t ensure his tank was filled.

Imagine, wanting someone who can possess offensive skill, and not have questions about their skating.

Hopefully the kid succeeds.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
DWJ was asked about the philosophy of having that many 7ths and pretty much if they were picking off their board and he said they wouldn't pick a guy off their board, they would try and trade out. Could just be some self-assertion, but given how the draft went they maybe just had a lot of guys left on their board and figured they could get them late.

My entire existence hinges on making him the next GM of the Philadelphia Flyers. I can wait out the next six years (barely), but then I need Junior.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He really galaxy-brained this motherf***er with his two-step process: 1) "minimal draft prep" (his words), 2) condescension.

If you're not completely satisfied with a shooter who can't skate, you're an irrational fan who just likes to complain.

Don't you dare question the staffs choices, you insignificant scum.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
:laugh:

These media guys are just the worst

This is astonishing.

Most people here celebrated like a motherf***er when we took Brink last year. He was also a kid with a bomb of a shot and questionable skating.

Brink was perceived differently because he offered a lot of qualities. Including carrying the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone. Something that was brought up as a huge negative for Foerster.

I mentioned such about Brink during my April prospect write-up.

Stizzle said:
Brink's ability to exit the zone with passes really flourished as the season developed. It may end up being a really big strength. Also, his controlled zone entries are definitely a strength. As shown by the highlight video of his year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad