HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Do you guys agree with the policy of extending players as early as possible?

I think it's better than Gainey's policy of virtually never negotiating during the season.
I really don't think there's a policy with this...I think it's case by case basis.

Reactions: Miller Time

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

I think it's better than Gainey's policy of virtually never negotiating during the season.

It depends. A guy like Byron shouldn't be extended during the season. Sure-bets like Gallagher and Petry can be though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on the situation. With Petry signed, it lightens up the to do list for 21/22. If they ask for too much, you wait yes.

Reactions: dralaf

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Makes sense for Petry and Gallagher since they will be coveted by other teams and likely to get a bit more on the open market.

But we could have waited for Price. Not sure another team would have been willing to give him $10.5m (likely higher AAV needed because 7 years vs 8) and a NMC

Reactions: 1909 and DAChampion

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm really hating the Molson and Bergevin speech of 'We don't want to pay anyone on the market because we have to pay our kids soon.' They're talking like these guys have had Matthews/Marner/Reilly level of seasons. Holy smokes. Pump the brakes. If a move is there, you do it. You worry about paying them when they've actually become stars and you make the appropriate moves to free up the dough.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

Depends on the player.

If Bergevin re-signed Tatar for big bucks today, I'd say he went off his rockers. But for guys like Petry, Gallagher and Danault it's a different matter.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm really hating the Molson and Bergevin speech of 'We don't want to pay anyone on the market because we have to pay our kids soon.' They're talking like these guys have had Matthews/Marner/Reilly level of seasons. Holy smokes. Pump the brakes. If a move is there, you do it. You worry about paying them when they've actually become stars and you make the appropriate moves to free up the dough.

I think the truth is in the middle and their comments can be taken out of context. I'm pretty sure Bergevin would trade Domi, Caufield, + for Laine but not willing to move Suzuki, KK, Romanov is the right decision. Do you think Bergevin says no to Hall if he wants to sign for $8M AAV? I don't think he says no. Probably talking about Dadonov types.

This is why I think Rakell is a good option. 2 years at $3.8M is a good contract to add and he adds a 30 goal threat. Someone with decent size and worth ethic and plays a good 200' game. Make it happen if he is available!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
@mynamejeff420 instinctively I'd guess that one of the most important skills on the PK is the ability to ice the puck. Once you clear the puck out of the zone, it takes at least twenty seconds for the other team to regain the offensive, more if it's the Habs that are on the power play.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Don't care what the stats say, I've seen enough of Kulak and Mete to know that they aren't good. Even the Habs dont think so. Kulak was a healthy scratch for a decent amount of games and Mete had less ice time than an AHLer in the playoffs. Not saying they won't get better, but as of right now, they aren't that good.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

it's just more excuses... they are anchored in an excuse mindset, so every problem is viewed from that lens rather thanfrom a problem-solving lens

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Make sure you pay Gallagher , Tatar and Danault big money so the habs can contend for 9th every year

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think the truth is in the middle and their comments can be taken out of context. I'm pretty sure Bergevin would trade Domi, Caufield, + for Laine but not willing to move Suzuki, KK, Romanov is the right decision. Do you think Bergevin says no to Hall if he wants to sign for $8M AAV? I don't think he says no. Probably talking about Dadonov types.

This is why I think Rakell is a good option. 2 years at $3.8M is a good contract to add and he adds a 30 goal threat. Someone with decent size and worth ethic and plays a good 200' game. Make it happen if he is available!

I think he might, personally. Who knows. We'll see. But that kind of talk does not inspire confidence. It just seems like we're run by a couple of cowards who haven't learned their lesson that their prudence does not work. At all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he might, personally. Who knows. We'll see. But that kind of talk does not inspire confidence. It just seems like we're run by a couple of cowards who haven't learned their lesson that their prudence does not work. At all.

That type of talk is meant to calm down peoples expectations that we can easily get Laine IMO. I think you and I would have a difficult time handling our fan base too!

Not saying Bergevin/Molson are geniuses either. Mistakes have been made yes!

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That type of talk is meant to calm down peoples expectations that we can easily get Laine IMO. I think you and I would have a difficult time handling our fan base too!

I hope you're right. We badly need outside help. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi just won't cut it, not in our division and certainly not in our conference.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Depends on the player.

If Bergevin re-signed Tatar for big bucks today, I'd say he went off his rockers. But for guys like Petry, Gallagher and Danault it's a different matter.
Gallagher is a scary guy to give a long term contract to

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

So it’s a GMs and owners job to calm fans expectations down?
Wow. That’s a horrible horrible front office
In 8 years he’s done nothing to substantially improve the offence
So I guess every year he tempers our expectations

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope you're right. We badly need outside help. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi just won't cut it, not in our division and certainly not in our conference.

My biggest concern is we don't make moves now cause we want to protect futures and then we waste good years of Price and Weber and in 3+ years, our vets either gone or not as effective and then we are still a mid pack team at best.

The right answer is balance. We can afford to use some of our futures for improvements now. And when we say improvements, we are talking a 30 goal threat. Not another middle of the line player. We are loaded with those types already

Reactions: Amerika
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad