GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Saad interview

""We haven't had any discussions, I think it's a bit early, especially with not really knowing what's going on with the season, but for me, thinking about it, Colorado has always been in my top because I want to win again," Saad said on the latest episode of the NHL @TheRink podcast. "So to be in a great spot like that, on a great team, and then you hear wonders about the city, really, it seems like a great place that I want to play a long time. I think it's just a feeling-out process, making sure I'm in love with it, and obviously they have to want me for a long period of time. But that's definitely somewhere I could see myself playing out my career."

Unless he takes a big pay cut, I don't see it.

Yeah, Saad is most likely only in Denver a year. He’s probably getting 20-27 goals and will command a decent contract given his track record.

The only possibility I can think of that keeps him in Denver is a cup final appearance, or championship. Maybe that would make him consider re-upping on a discount to take make a couple more runs.

He’s going to bring even more balance to the forward core which is awesome. I flip flop line possibilities on the daily, but given he’s not a playmaker, maybe he’d be better away from Kadri.

Saad - MacKinnon - Rantanen

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Saad interview

""We haven't had any discussions, I think it's a bit early, especially with not really knowing what's going on with the season, but for me, thinking about it, Colorado has always been in my top because I want to win again," Saad said on the latest episode of the NHL @TheRink podcast. "So to be in a great spot like that, on a great team, and then you hear wonders about the city, really, it seems like a great place that I want to play a long time. I think it's just a feeling-out process, making sure I'm in love with it, and obviously they have to want me for a long period of time. But that's definitely somewhere I could see myself playing out my career."

Unless he takes a big pay cut, I don't see it.

The bolded might be key. It feels more likely he won't be brought back for cap reasons, but it sounds like he's looking for some security.

If they give him a 6 year deal taking him to 34, they could get him on a lower AAV than what he might command on a 4-5 year deal.

He could potentially be a safe bet for a long term deal too, because he's been very healthy and consistent production wise for nearly all of his career.

I think a lot will depend on whether or not Burakovsky gets selected in expansion too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The thing is, if Saad is really good this year we won't be able to afford him and if he's not that good then we're just going to let him walk.

Chances of keeping him are super slim...and it probably starts with losing Bura to Seattle or something like that.

I think our best chance would be him turning into a defensive beast that don't produce offensively too much. This way the Avs would want to keep him and he wouldn't have the numbers to command a huge AAV.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Saad would have to come in at at most 4 million AAV. He won't take that. It reminds me of Stastny who said he would take a discount and stay in Colorado, but went for the money.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think he may be sincere, but we all see the writing on the wall. He's going to play in the most stacked top six in the league, possibly even with MacKinnon, and that's going to really pump his numbers up to the point where he would leave millions on the table to stay. I think he might have serious discussions about it, but in the end he'll go to a well earned UFA paycheck that I won't begrudge him at all.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
With the cap being what it is, you can probably try to keep players like Saad on a 1- or 2-year contract. His secure long term deal didn't work out that well for the teams. If he can play with some urgency he's a pretty good player.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
There's 2 years between 2021 and Mackinnon's new contract. You could trade EJ and use that money for Saad on a 2 year contract for example.

You're right but how realistic is it? Would Saad really take two years in his prime? EJ accepting a trade?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You're right but how realistic is it? Would Saad really take two years in his prime? EJ accepting a trade?
It was just an example. After seeing the type of deals signed this offseason nobody knows what the UFA market will look like next year either.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious question for you lot, who ages' more gracefully? Saad or Kadri? Kadri is in a predominately more important position, but I think we've already seen some wear and tear on his body; especially at the skating level. I haven't delved far into our long-term cap structure when MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Makar get their big-boy deals. However, I think we could keep one of them long-term, but I suggest that Saad would be more likely of the two to keep a consistent brand of valuable hockey beyond thirty-three years old than Kadri will. Though as others have said, it might have to come at a discount if Avs do want to keep him here longer than just this year.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There's 2 years between 2021 and Mackinnon's new contract. You could trade EJ and use that money for Saad on a 2 year contract for example.
It took Toronto’s 1st to trade one year of Marleau when the assumption was the cap was rising and there would be fans buying tickets.

You are going to be lucky to find a team on EJ’s list willing to spend $12M over the next two years, eat up $6M cap space for two years, hopefully not going back on any commitments you made to him in exchange for waiving for the expansion draft for what could likely be the 32nd pick.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Saad would be doable IF Seattle took one of the $3million guys and then the Avalanche were able to clear out one of JTC, Donskoi or Graves without taking cap back AND Saad would accept around $4M.

I think next offseason will be a tight one for UFAs again and if you hit him with a 2 year deal with the real money back loaded until 21-22 it's possible.

upload_2020-11-14_16-13-44.png

Incidentally this was some great timing by JTC

upload_2020-11-14_16-18-14.png

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Curious question for you lot, who ages' more gracefully? Saad or Kadri? Kadri is in a predominately more important position, but I think we've already seen some wear and tear on his body; especially at the skating level. I haven't delved far into our long-term cap structure when MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Makar get their big-boy deals. However, I think we could keep one of them long-term, but I suggest that Saad would be more likely of the two to keep a consistent brand of valuable hockey beyond thirty-three years old than Kadri will. Though as others have said, it might have to come at a discount if Avs do want to keep him here longer than just this year.

I guess I’d probably say Saad.

He is 2 years younger than Kadri and will be getting his contract a year earlier. I think it’s also a little easier to age gracefully as a winger.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Would love to swing a trade with Boston of something like Compher+ Donskoi + Cole + prospect/1st for Krejci + Kase

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Saad - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Krejci - Kase
Calvert - Bellemare - Kaut

Drool.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Would love to swing a trade with Boston of something like Compher+ Donskoi + Cole + prospect/1st for Krejci + Kase

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Saad - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Krejci - Kase
Calvert - Bellemare - Kaut

Drool.

That's crazy enough to work. Krejci would be an awesome 3rd line centre. The highest paid 3rd line centre in hockey, but only for one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad