GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I'm sure Boston would be absolutely thrilled to receive 3 cap dumps in one package, especially this offseason. That prospect better be good.
Just because you see them as cap dumps doesn't mean they are. Cole, absolutely, but Boston is actually a team that could find Cole useful with the departure of some experience/insurance on their blackened. Kase is a bit of a risk and doesn't seem to work in Boston's style and Krejci is an old pending UFA. Compher is a cost controlled 3rd liner and Donskoi is a little over paid but would be effective in a cerebral defensive system like Boston. I think there is incentive for them but I'm doubting a move like this actually happens

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I could see Graves get traded in season as part of a package for a rental. Because Bergeron... you know...
giphy.gif

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just because you see them as cap dumps doesn't mean they are. Cole, absolutely, but Boston is actually a team that could find Cole useful with the departure of some experience/insurance on their blackened. Kase is a bit of a risk and doesn't seem to work in Boston's style and Krejci is an old pending UFA. Compher is a cost controlled 3rd liner and Donskoi is a little over paid but would be effective in a cerebral defensive system like Boston. I think there is incentive for them but I'm doubting a move like this actually happens
Yeah, just because we see them as cap dumps doesn't make them cap dumps. However, the cap hit that all of them have and how they are replacement level players is what makes them cap dumps.

:naughty:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wouldn't call them pure "cap dumps", as they're still useful players, but I agree that that proposal sounds like a classic main boards "our quantity of expendable junk for your quality player" type of deal.

I think the Avs are clearly done. If they wanted any of the remaining UFAs, they would have had them for league min by now. And if there was a route to clear cap space, Tampa would simply outbid us for the privilege. Sakic is obviously quite happy with the roster, and even though 3C is still a weak point in my view Sakic must not see it that way or else he would have swung some witchcraft already to make it happen via trade.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wouldn't call them pure "cap dumps", as they're still useful players, but I agree that that proposal sounds like a classic main boards "our quantity of expendable junk for your quality player" type of deal.

I think the Avs are clearly done. If they wanted any of the remaining UFAs, they would have had them for league min by now. And if there was a route to clear cap space, Tampa would simply outbid us for the privilege. Sakic is obviously quite happy with the roster, and even though 3C is still a weak point in my view Sakic must not see it that way or else he would have swung some witchcraft already to make it happen via trade.
To be fair, I think some of the guys who obviously have more value than league minimum are just holding and hoping for at least some money on the deal. Which does take us out of it as well.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I wouldn't call them pure "cap dumps", as they're still useful players

The Avs would (likely) say yes if someone offered to take their contracts for nothing (say future considerations). That makes them cap dumps.

Then they could take the cap hit from those players and easily upgrade with available UFA's (Haula, Vatanen and even Hoffman). Or give a call to Tampa and offer to "help" them.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
To be fair, I think some of the guys who obviously have more value than league minimum are just holding and hoping for at least some money on the deal. Which does take us out of it as well.
I'm sure Vets expecting to settle for league minimum would rather sign for that amount later to at least wait until the deadline so they will be doing less labor for it.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Avs would (likely) say yes if someone offered to take their contracts for nothing (say future considerations). That makes them cap dumps.

Then they could take the cap hit from those players and easily upgrade with available UFA's (Haula, Vatanen and even Hoffman). Or give a call to Tampa and offer to "help" them.
That's pure speculation, you have no idea how much Sakic and co actually value them. That's based on how YOU value them.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You have a point, but I'm guessing that the uncertainty would push them to sign a league minimum deal over the flat nothing they currently are set to make. It seems to me like GMs around the league are content where they are, either because they have full rosters, are dealing with internal caps, or both.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec

I think Sakic entered the offseason thinking I could improve with a 3C, a top 6 winger and 1 top 4 D. I can only afford two of the three now, so I'll shop for the best 2 I can find, and I 'll have to wait at the deadline, with cap room banked, to fix the third one. Then Saad and Toews happened. So that left the 3C to fix at the deadline.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Feels like maybe Sakic was waiting for one of the TB centers to become available, and then decided to just stay patient and fix the 3C in season or at the deadline if need be.

He should have options, especially as they bank cap space, and they should be able to get by with the lineup they have before the playoffs.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Feels like maybe Sakic was waiting for one of the TB centers to become available, and then decided to just stay patient and fix the 3C in season or at the deadline if need be.

He should have options, especially as they bank cap space, and they should be able to get by with the lineup they have before the playoffs.
By the deadline/playoffs Newhook might be ready to make a Makar-like impact so it's possible that Sakic wants to keep that option open, and solved our other two needs first. If Newhook has a bad WJC and season then there's still the option of picking up a 3C at the deadline.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
By the deadline/playoffs Newhook might be ready to make a Makar-like impact so it's possible that Sakic wants to keep that option open, and solved our other two needs first. If Newhook has a bad WJC and season then there's still the option of picking up a 3C at the deadline.

Yeah I've been talking about Newhook being a potential end of season addition like Makar as well. It just seems to make sense timing wise.

It won't really be clear how much impact he'll have until after he signs and after he plays against NHLers though. So it's a bit of a gamble if Sakic is banking on him being the upgrade they need at 3C through 4 playoff rounds for a a Cup run.

As good as Newhook looked last year, it's still rare for guys to jump into he playoffs and have success without being a liability. Cale just does things other guys don't do.

I tend to think that if he's brought in this year it will be in addition to adding a 3C around the deadline, so it gives them some insurance if Newhook's not ready. We'll see though.

Reactions: Richard88

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I do wonder if Byram and/or Timmins prove to be capable top 6ers if Sakic tries to trade Graves to move Donskoi and JTC to the top of Seattle's Xpansion likelyhood.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I do wonder if Byram and/or Timmins prove to be capable top 6ers if Sakic tries to trade Graves to move Donskoi and JTC to the top of Seattle's Xpansion likelyhood.
Yeah, Sakic has got to have a lot on his mind regarding this ED issue, knowing he's had to deal with it before.

What?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

With the current cap (and internal cap) situation + the upcoming expansion draft we shouldn't expect trades this season.

We also shouldn't expect Seattle to pick up bad contracts regardless of who's available. Even if someone like JTC or Donskoi is better than a lesser player on a better contract, they'll likely go with the better contract and keep their money for bigger fishes on the UFA market.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
With the current cap (and internal cap) situation + the upcoming expansion draft we shouldn't expect trades this season.

We also shouldn't expect Seattle to pick up bad contracts regardless of who's available. Even if someone like JTC or Donskoi is better than a lesser player on a better contract, they'll likely go with the better contract and keep their money for bigger fishes on the UFA market.

Well there shouldn't be an expectation of it, but it's certainly a possibility--just depends on how much a team is willing to pay in terms of incentive. Hopefully the Avs won't have to give up a high pick in order to move a contract they don't want.

I wonder now if teams might not be so ready to weaponize cap space going forward. The team that led the way in that department, the Arizona Coyotes, are in a really ugly cap crunch right now.

Reactions: Balthazar

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Is it within the rules to trade a pick or some other concession to a new franchise with the agreement that they will select X player off your squad? I thought that’s happened before in some expansion draft (maybe not NHL but another league like MLB)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Is it within the rules to trade a pick or some other concession to a new franchise with the agreement that they will select X player off your squad? I thought that’s happened before in some expansion draft (maybe not NHL but another league like MLB)
Yes many teams did that in the 2017 expansion draft.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I know HockeyBuzz isn't A+ but with their Seattle expansion almost done, they have Compher. Hes centering Tierney and Kunin on the 3rd line.

Curious where you guys think Graves would fit in? Z's spot? Again

Klefbom - Dumba
Zadorov - Miller
Dermott - Lauzon
Bean - Fleury

is what they currently have.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know HockeyBuzz isn't A+ but with their Seattle expansion almost done, they have Compher. Hes centering Tierney and Kunin on the 3rd line.

Curious where you guys think Graves would fit in? Z's spot? Again

Klefbom - Dumba
Zadorov - Miller
Dermott - Lauzon
Bean - Fleury

is what they currently have.

Why in God's name would JTC center that line? Both of those guys are better centers than he is. :laugh:

If that depth chart is for real, I don't think Z would be that high to begin with. Also, they really think the Leafers are gonna leave Dermott exposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad