2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Everyone understand that this thinking is flawed right??? Lol

Just as we had few ROW we also had very few ROLs, like 22nd in the league. If anything the assumption close at hand is that we were better than our record show since we played many close games.
What exactly is flawed? The Rangers had A LOT of looser points. It isn't odd to believe that they will not get so lucky again.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What exactly is flawed? The Rangers had A LOT of looser points. It isn't odd to believe that they will not get so lucky again.

What is a looser point?? It’s a tie after 60, all teams get a point from it, how can anyone claim that we were lucky to play a tie game through 60? If anything we lost an abnormal amount of games in OT and if any argument should be made it’s that we might not be the worst team in the league 3 on 3 next season.

I love RBs posts, but he has driven this silly argument forever and people have bought into it. It’s just a dumb argument, we supposedly were worse than our record show because we lost a lot of close games. Ehhh what?

I could have understood it if we like won a boatload if games in the shootout. But I just don’t get that argument at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: SA16 and Thirty One

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot of guys can have a great tourney here. I don't think so much Stenman, but Wallstedt might overtake!!

So Gunler is too old for the U18s this season? That is kind of tough for a potential high pick from Sweden, to not make the U18s once.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So Gunler is too old for the U18s this season? That is kind of tough for a potential high pick from Sweden, to not make the U18s once.

yeah he was only 3 weeks away from being eligible this year...

Reactions: Ola

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I could have understood it if we like won a boatload if games in the shootout. But I just don’t get that argument at all.
Because the team was a lot worse than the games that they were dragged into by stellar play of the goalies.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just for some added perspective for how we were last year at various times at 5v5:

Tied: 1557:46 TOI (3rd most in the league behind Boston and Dallas), 44.52CF% (30th), outscored by 59-65, 45.75 xGF% (28th)
Trailing: 1437:37 TOI (21st), 50.56 CF% (28th), outscored teams 61-55 (13th in GF%), 50.99 xGF% (24th)
Leading: 960:53 TOI (30th), 41.80 CF% (27th), outscored 25-52 (worst GF% in the league), 44.91 xGF% (20th)
Within 1: 3038:00 TOI (1st), 45.12 CF% (3oth), outscored 110-131 (24th), 46.52 xGF% (27th)

It paints a picture of a team that spent a lot of time keeping games close, albeit while getting largely outplayed on the ice. It also shows that they were terrible at holding leads when they had them, which isn't shocking considering the lack of depth we had and how bad/raw the defense was.

Will some of this swing in the opposite direction next year? Probably since the team just added two top-end pieces in Panarin and Trouba, and our younger guys all will have another year of development under their belts. I still think we're lacking scoring depth, but it's also because I'm being very stringent on my projections for Kakko, Kravtsov, and the rest of our younger players.

It wouldn't surprise me if we improved pretty well but still found ourselves in the later lottery range next season.

Reactions: I Eat Crow and jas

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Because the team was a lot worse than the games that they were dragged into by stellar play of the goalies.

Yeah I know, but like, how many teams didn’t sneak into the POs or just miss it with playing pretty crappy hockey but getting by manning the trenches? Our goalie’s stats were also subpar.

If anything our team kept its spirits up better than comparable teams. I think our roster was a bit worse than the record shows, but we wasn’t as depressed as many comparable teams. We didn’t get much better goaltending than the average team. The looser point argument is just BS, we played tied games. If anything we had very few losses in regulation.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
As I've said, it sounds like you've largely conceded the "resume" part as it's pretty much objectively false that Lafreniere has a better resume.

Good to know.

I really don’t get your point with the whole “conceded” thing. It’s not a contest, and I didn’t change my stance. It’s an opinion, and I will continue to stand by my statement that Lafreniere has the better resume on the eve of their respective draft years.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Is Alex Limoges eligible to become a UFA since he's 21 and undrafted? Led the NCAA in scoring with 50 as a 21 y.o. sophmore on a strong Penn State team (there were 3 more players on this team scoring in the 40s, one at 37, three more 28-29). Probably why he didn't get any Hobey Baker consideration. Haven't seen him play so no idea if he's any good.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Is Alex Limoges eligible to become a UFA since he's 21 and undrafted? Led the NCAA in scoring with 50 as a 21 y.o. sophmore on a strong Penn State team (there were 3 more players on this team scoring in the 40s, one at 37, three more 28-29). Probably why he didn't get any Hobey Baker consideration. Haven't seen him play so no idea if he's any good.

yes he is too old to be drafted so he'd be a UFA when he's done with school

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I really don’t get your point with the whole “conceded” thing. It’s not a contest, and I didn’t change my stance. It’s an opinion, and I will continue to stand by my statement that Lafreniere has the better resume on the eve of their respective draft years.

Except there's nothing objectively speaking that would back that up. Objectively speaking, Hughes clearly has the better resume. Whether his underlying resume means he's a better pro prospect is another debate.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Except there's nothing objectively speaking that would back that up. Objectively speaking, Hughes clearly has the better resume. Whether his underlying resume means he's a better pro prospect is another debate.

Since you refuse you provide any sort of analysis or data, I guess I'll do it (again) for the both of us.

1. Lafreniere's draft-1 U18 Hlinka trumps Hughes's draft-1 U18 WC. Higher P/G and won gold. Lafreniere was 16.10 at the Hlinka. Hughes was 16.11 at the 2018 U18 WC. Hughes in his draft-2 did not play in any IIHF or international events. Lafreniere played in two -- the WU17HC and the U18 WC -- and one of the youngest players in both tournaments. Canada rarely sends a draft-2 to both tournaments in one season. Lafreniere led Team Canada is scoring at the U18 WC despite being the youngest on the team. He also was the youngest forward on the Hlinka squad, much like Hughes at the 2018 U18 WC.

2. Hughes in the GTMMHL/Midget at age 15 (draft-2) combined for a 2.05 p/g. Lafreniere at age 15 in the QMAAA (Draft-3) was at 2.31 p/g -- the highest full-season total in almost 20 years. Hughes's 2.21 P/G in the GTMMHL was surpassed by almost a dozen players, all within the last 15 years. This isn't cherry-picking stats. Although Drouin had slightly better numbers in less games, what Lafreniere did in midget was pretty rare for the 21st century, whereas Hughes's accomplishments were similar to recent notables like McDavid, Ho-Sang, Salituro, Strome, Tavares, etc.

3. Lafreniere won the CHL Player of the Year Award in his draft-1. He's the third-youngest to win the award behind Crosby and Tavares. All three won in their draft-1. Hughes in his draft-1 was named USA Hockey Junior Player of the Year, but the CHL award Lafreniere won is undeniably more prestigious and harder to win.

In the end, it looks like your entire argument is hinged on Hughes's WU17HC, which was superior to Lafreniere's, except that a) Hughes was older b) Hughes was in his draft-1 versus Lafreniere's draft-2 and c) Hughes had the superior supporting cast while Lafreniere was part of Canada's three-team split.

--Lafreniere's Hlinka Gold, Top scorer and higher p/g trumps Hughes's U18 WC bronze, top scorer and lower p/g
--Lafreniere's CHL POY and QMJHL MVP trump Hughes's USA Hockey Jr. POY
--Lafreniere's midget numbers trump Hughes's midget numbers
--Lafreniere's draft-2 in the QMJHL trumps Hughes's draft-2 in the GTMMHL
--Lafreniere making the U20 WJC as a draft-1 trumps Hughes not making it at all as a draft-1.

vs

Hughes's WU17HC trumps Lafreniere's WU17HC

I mean, what am I missing? That's now two posts where I've gone into great detail, while you keep regurgitating this "objectively false" stuff.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really want to see this team add another first rounder. It just opens up so many more possibilities in the upcoming draft.
I think they will when they move either Kreider or Buch. Couple that with a probably 5-7 bottom finish and you are pretty well set up for the draft.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think they will when they move either Kreider or Buch. Couple that with a probably 5-7 bottom finish and you are pretty well set up for the draft.

I think they’ll be better than that. I think they’ll jump into that 8-12 range. My fear is they hang onto Kreider and he gets hurt or they hold onto him trying at a bubble playoff spot. I’d love to see him dealt now but many teams seem loathe to move first rounders for rentals in the offseason.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think they’ll be better than that. I think they’ll jump into that 8-12 range. My fear is they hang onto Kreider and he gets hurt or they hold onto him trying at a bubble playoff spot. I’d love to see him dealt now but many teams seem loathe to move first rounders for rentals in the offseason.
Everyone has a different view. Right now, I cannot put the blue tinted glasses on and proclaim that The K boys will replace the production of Hayes and Zucc. I also believe that one of Buch or Krieder will not be here come opening night. So that is yet another hit to last year's production.

Sure we hope that last year's 'yute crop takes steps forward. I believe they will. But I am also realistic as to the size of the steps that they will take. Couple all that with the fact that Staal & Shattenkirk are still here and if they are here, they will be playing with another year of depreciation added on top. The factor in another year of aging for Henke who WILL play and not completely surrender the starting job. I am not even talking about Smith, who I think starts the year as the 12th forward/7th defenseman.

Then there is the Rangers record after the TDL last year and how many looser points they got. Take all of that in, mix it all up and even with the addition of Trouba and Panarin, I just do not see thembeing materially better.

Naturally, I will root to win each game, but unless A LOT of things go right, I just do not see a team that is that much better than last year.

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think Rossi and Foudy are good targets for us. Rossi is almost Crosby-like in playstyle and would fit well in the 2C spot. Foudy is one of the fastest skaters I’ve ever seen and brings an element that we won’t have when Kreider leaves. Having that speed down the middle is important and he’s also a RHS. Good hands and is primarily a playmaker. Obviously I’m still big on Perfetti but he’s looking more like a LW. Grabbing a true C is a need for us in 2020 which allows Chytil to stay on wing. Andersson and Howden combine to make an elite 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad