Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
and that's basically what they are saying, no? the less than charitable way of looking at it is that they knew but didn't think the kid's actions were disqualifying. perhaps they do have love in their hearts and this will turn out to be a great story. but what a risk to take, to draft a kid guilty of juvenile hate crimes. PR nightmare with few spin options, yikes.

Certainly.

The response to this on the main board has been everything from absurd to comical with a few lever heads in the mix.

It didn’t help we’ve got a local reporter who’s been mainly an NFL guy all these years who now gets to play sjw with the Coyotes.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
How are we still debating this lol? The kid messed up, may or may not be sorry and we drafted him. Wait and see what happens, he may just disappear into obscurity anyway. Hardly seems worthy of 7 pages at this point as none of us know him or have any impact on him.

I keep checking this thread for player growth but we are going in a big circle of shitting on this kid over and over and over and... Does anyone have anything that isn't just a rescripted rerun of Mitchell being a crap box for 6 years as a prepubessent kid?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It didn’t help we’ve got a local reporter who’s been mainly an NFL guy all these years who now gets to play sjw with the Coyotes.

Pardon?

Are we trying to bury this and avoid it, just like the kid in question?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Don't write this off as "SJW." That's ridiculous. This is a legitimate story, as much as we all hate it, and what Miller did is serious enough that it can't be waved away with the vague suggestion of good intentions. Both he and the Coyotes are rightfully going to be under a microscope for as long as we have a relationship together.

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
I haven't read the incident report or the court documents. My question is how long does it take to change someone's mind, be rehabilitated? Is it 6 years.... 10 years? When he scores 40 goals for the Coyotes. When he becomes a pillar in the local community? Does he have to carry this over his head for the rest of his life? Can he do anything now and going forward to make amends or is he forever a "bad person"? My guess is that many of the people on this blog would not like to have everything in their childhood be public knowledge. Is there nothing that you did as a teenager that would be frowned upon? I am not defending this kid for what he did, but there has to be sometime in the future in that he is forgiven.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I haven't read the incident report or the court documents. My question is how long does it take to change someone's mind, be rehabilitated? Is it 6 years.... 10 years? When he scores 40 goals for the Coyotes. When he becomes a pillar in the local community? Does he have to carry this over his head for the rest of his life? Can he do anything now and going forward to make amends or is he forever a "bad person"? My guess is that many of the people on this blog would not like to have everything in their childhood be public knowledge. Is there nothing that you did as a teenager that would be frowned upon? I am not defending this kid for what he did, but there has to be sometime in the future in that he is forgiven.

I think the main point, the one I agree with anyway that was being bandied about earlier in the thread before today's resumption of flogging, is that the Coyotes are really not the org to add more bad publicity at this time. Let someone else take him on either as a draft pick or undrafted FA.

For the when it is forgiven stuff, I get the sense that many would say never. Too extreme.
I think a lot of people would feel better if there was a more sincere apology floating around rather than PR statements sent to teams pre-draft.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Also LOL at Coyotes PR trying to bury this by firing together a Marty Hanzal retirement graphic. Didn't work!

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Pardon?

Are we trying to bury this and avoid it, just like the kid in question?

Nope.... and I’m not excusing either one of them. Or did you ignore the part I said earlier where I want to see what the kid does going forward before I pass any judgement.

I prefer that rather than trying and convicting him in the media because it fits the current news cycle.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think the main point, the one I agree with anyway that was being bandied about earlier in the thread before today's resumption of flogging, is that the Coyotes are really not the org to add more bad publicity at this time. Let someone else take him on either as a draft pick or undrafted FA.

For the when it is forgiven stuff, I get the sense that many would say never. Too extreme.
I think a lot of people would feel better if there was a more sincere apology floating around rather than PR statements sent to teams pre-draft.
Why not? We have a looooaded owner, a front office with someone in it that at least has seen what a quality FO looks like and are a "redemption" project team who has been laughed at for over 2 decades. Imagine not only taking a kid like this and molding him into a quality human but also becoming the kind of player that helps us win regularly. That's a good story.

Maybe this franchise should stop acting like a wounded puppy and show some snarl.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Also LOL at Coyotes PR trying to bury this by firing together a Marty Hanzal retirement graphic. Didn't work!

I certainly agree that the Coyotes and Hanzal conspired to have Marty announce his retirement yesterday just so they could have something to distract the public.

Where do I send you your official Coyotes themed tin foil hat?? :rolleyes:

Reactions: LuckyNumber11

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Drafting this kid was a tremendously poor decision and one that the team won't be able to get past for a long time. Don't sign him and chalk it up to another lost pick due to stupidity.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Coyotes deserve the criticism; especially after all the talk about character. That being said i don't think its fair to write off someone for something they did when they were 14. This is on Miller to change the narrative.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Coyotes deserve the criticism; especially after all the talk about character. That being said i don't think its fair to write off someone for something they did when they were 14. This is on Miller to change the narrative.

He’ll get the chance to show everyone at UND (if that’s where I think he’s headed).

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I certainly agree that the Coyotes and Hanzal conspired to have Marty announce his retirement yesterday just so they could have something to distract the public.

Where do I send you your official Coyotes themed tin foil hat?? :rolleyes:

You don't think they timed that graphic? He announced yesterday. Post it then. Obviously they weren't going to say anything. Why bother, he's an ex-Coyote anyway. But then they needed a shiny object and it was a nice thing to fall back on.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Even a glimmer of actual contrition would go a million miles for this kid. I'm still waiting for some.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You don't think they timed that graphic? He announced yesterday. Post it then. Obviously they weren't going to say anything. Why bother, he's an ex-Coyote anyway. But then they needed a shiny object and it was a nice thing to fall back on.

Why are you looking for some nefarious plot here?

You’re almost behaving as poorly as the guy who wrote the friggin story to begin with and how it’s currently being pushed on social media.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Maybe so, but he has already had four years to do something and he has chosen to do nothing. Just a character that doesn't belong in this league regardless of his hockey skills.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I posted this on the main board but this guy was drafted in the 4th round. 90+ % of 4th rounders amount to nothing.

How stupid is management to actually waste a pick on such an awful person and get in the media for all the wrong reasons? I mean things arnt tough enough for Arizona as it is?

Let's say and it's a big if he makes it to the NHL and has a game in Edmonton and jujhar khaira, Darnell nurse, Caleb Jones, Ethan bear all are chipping him. The fans chanting "racist". Do you really want this to be the sportsnet highlight package?

What if the coyotes want to trade for a black player?

Just so stupid to waste a 4th round pick on a guy like this.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
We all did crap at that age that we wish did not happened and would like to take back. I'm getting sick and tired of all these "holier than thou" posters. Kids do grow and change. We aren't talking about an adult here.

You beat up a mentally challenged guy for 6 years and made him eat from a toilet and called him racial slurs every day?

Sorry for sounding holier than thou but that isn't normal.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I posted this on the main board but this guy was drafted in the 4th round. 90+ % of 4th rounders amount to nothing.

How stupid is management to actually waste a pick on such an awful person and get in the media for all the wrong reasons? I mean things arnt tough enough for Arizona as it is?

Let's say and it's a big if he makes it to the NHL and has a game in Edmonton and jujhar khaira, Darnell nurse, Caleb Jones, Ethan bear all are chipping him. The fans chanting "racist". Do you really want this to be the sportsnet highlight package?

What if the coyotes want to trade for a black player?

Just so stupid to waste a 4th round pick on a guy like this.

Shane Doan was accused of being a Francophobe, even though he never said what he was accused of yet had to spend months defending himself. And I'll bet there are still a number of goobers out there who still buy that nonsense.

And I would certainly hope that the Oilers and their fans would be smart enough NOT to stoop down to the level you propose.

The Coyotes knew who the kid was..... all 31 teams did. The Yotes decided the up side to the kid's skills were enough to take the risk on him. Now it'll be up to him to prove that he's not that same person. He'll be living in a fish bowl for quite some time to add on to the pressure to make it to the NHL.

And If he makes it..... I wonder how many those people will actually care??

Reactions: Jakey53

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Shane Doan was accused of being a Francophobe, even though he never said what he was accused of yet had to spend months defending himself. And I'll bet there are still a number of goobers out there who still buy that nonsense.

And I would certainly hope that the Oilers and their fans would be smart enough NOT to stoop down to the level you propose.

The Coyotes knew who the kid was..... all 31 teams did. The Yotes decided the up side to the kid's skills were enough to take the risk on him. Now it'll be up to him to prove that he's not that same person. He'll be living in a fish bowl for quite some time to add on to the pressure to make it to the NHL.

And If he makes it..... I wonder how many those people will actually care??

If you think Shane Doan inaccurately being a francophone is the same thing with someone being found guilty for repeated assaulting a mentally handicapped person I don't know what to tell you.

4th round picks are literally loterry picks. Coyotes which have already been punished for bad behaviour literally used their first pick in the draft to select a guy who racially abused and assaulted a mentally challenged guy for years.

You're right he's living in a fish bowl. The second he gets in the leagru every player of color will be looking to "finish" their checks. Can't believe the unnecessary mistake made by coyote management on this pick.

This is not even in the same realm as Shane doan. He doesn't deserve this opportunity. Especially in a struggling market like Arizona.

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
I believe in second chances. For people who are deserving. This kid isn’t deserving. He sent a letter to the teams because he knew he might not get drafted. He has apologised to the victim just by a letter he was FORCED to write. He bullied, abused and was generally a bastard to Black disabled child and has yet to show any remorse. Just letter through agents to say I’m sorry with no real feeling to it.

I hope he never makes it and is out of this organisation as soon as possible. This is not a good look for the coyotes.

there is a difference between making a mistake when you are young. And being a terrible human and not feeling sorry about doing it. The kids being shit on currently and he still only releases a piece through the team in which he sounds like an entitled asshole. He’s has years to earn his second chance and hasn’t. I don’t want us to be the organisation that give him one anyway.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If you think Shane Doan inaccurately being a francophone is the same thing with someone being found guilty for repeated assaulting a mentally handicapped person I don't know what to tell you.

4th round picks are literally loterry picks. Coyotes which have already been punished for bad behaviour literally used their first pick in the draft to select a guy who racially abused and assaulted a mentally challenged guy for years.

You're right he's living in a fish bowl. The second he gets in the leagru every player of color will be looking to "finish" their checks. Can't believe the unnecessary mistake made by coyote management on this pick.

This is not even in the same realm as Shane doan. He doesn't deserve this opportunity. Especially in a struggling market like Arizona.

The Shane Doan reference is addressing the mob mentality that's prevailing here. IF you can't see the similarities in that then I can't help you.

You're right, 4th rounders and beyond are what you take a gamble on. That's what the Yotes are doing here. They might sign him and they may not. That's going to depend upon how Miller progresses both on AND OFF the ice. By the time he gets to the league...... IF he gets there.... we'll see if he's changed.

And if you haven't watched the Coyotes play this past post season you didn't see how a guy like Ryan Reaves went half way across the ice and "finished his check" on Nick Schmaltz, who last I checked never said a disparaging word about anyone.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The Shane Doan reference is addressing the mob mentality that's prevailing here. IF you can't see the similarities in that then I can't help you.

You're right, 4th rounders and beyond are what you take a gamble on. That's what the Yotes are doing here. They might sign him and they may not. That's going to depend upon how Miller progresses both on AND OFF the ice. By the time he gets to the league...... IF he gets there.... we'll see if he's changed.

And if you haven't watched the Coyotes play this past post season you didn't see how a guy like Ryan Reaves went half way across the ice and "finished his check" on Nick Schmaltz, who last I checked never said a disparaging word about anyone.

Mob mentality is wrong when it's a comment that likely was never even made. We KNOW Miller is a racist who abused a handicapped kid and scared him for life. The kids mother said she easily forgives the other boy as he MADE AN EFFORT to apologize and she can tell he GENUINELY regrets his actions.

Miller the damn psychopath even after all of this made an effort to purposely go outside their house to show them that thru can go to the authorities but he's still going to hang out right outside their house.

I have no idea what you're referring to regarding Ryan reeves in this context. But if I'm a Seth Jones calibre player and one day in the trade market Arizona is now on my don't trade list and the coyotes get to learn why.

Reactions: Ncit3

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Coyotes are now the gatekeeper of his NHL career. If he hasn't drastically matured and made a real effort to make up for his mistakes then no contract for him. If he shows no remorse the Coyotes can bury him pretty easily. That isn't their goal but it will be an option if needed.

Reactions: GuelphStormer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad